PDA

View Full Version : Just How Is This Saw Used?

John McClanahan
10-30-2016, 6:00 PM
I have seen many variations of fenceless radial arm saws on craigslist, but this has to be the finest example. Just how would this saw be used?

Tim Hoyt
10-30-2016, 6:14 PM
Very carefully!

or better yet, never

Charles Lent
10-30-2016, 6:27 PM
It's obvious that they haven't used it, since replacing the table. There are no kerf marks in the table. In the process of doing that, they have likely thrown away the rear table clamps, but that's a nice thick piece of countertop that could be made into a saw table, if the clamps are still there..

Charley

Dave Zellers
10-30-2016, 6:32 PM
That's exactly my saw- mid 1970's era. Qualifies for the rebate but you would have to pry it out of my hands- Incredibly accurate and reliable.

I only use it for crosscuts anymore but back in the day I would set it up every which way. You just have to be intelligent about it and set up a proper fence and hold downs.

The old gal has been with me from the beginning...:)

Carroll Courtney
10-30-2016, 7:40 PM
I had one but never really like it,even cutting a 90 it was off.

Pat Barry
10-30-2016, 8:12 PM
Simple. Once you start the cut it basically keeps right on cutting in a straight line.

Alan Rutherford
10-30-2016, 8:46 PM
Beautiful and, as mentioned, unblemished (i.e. unused) table. With the table off there should be keyhole slots in the base for the thumbscrews that would hold the two halves of the correct table in place, with the fence in between. Or with the narrower part of the 2-part table in the middle and the fence at the back. I had that one in 10" and after that was stolen replaced it with a 220v 12".

It would crosscut beautifully up to capacity. Rip by rotating the blade but a tablesaw does it better. Has other virtues but I eventually sold mine.

peter Joseph
10-30-2016, 10:01 PM
It is primarily used to get you closer to your healthcare deductible.

Andrew Hughes
10-30-2016, 10:06 PM
That saw looks like it's setup to trim your finger nails all the way back to your knuckles.:eek:

Leo Graywacz
10-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Radial Arm Saw. Just about every shop I was in had one years ago. Usually with a fence and a stop to make cutting longer parts accurately much simpler. You need to use the correct blade when using this saw. Need to have a negative rake, which will make the saw not pull over the board.

The correct way to use it is place the board to cut against the fence and secure it. Pull the saw slowly while at the same time not let it climb the pc. This usually doesn't happen, but it can if you are careless.

Other options it has are angles. That's where the radial part comes in. You can tilt the saw off 90 degrees to cut angles. I've never seen anyone do this. Another thing you can usually do is twist the saw itself 90 degrees and then use it similar to a tablesaw by pushing the board against the fence and through the blade. I've done this when I needed to cut something tall. The saw we had, had a 15" blade and could cut about 6". All the other tablesaws had 10" blades and were limited to 3" cut.

Jon Endres
10-31-2016, 8:11 AM
I think the OP's point is that the table has NO fence. You can't use a RAS without one.

glenn bradley
10-31-2016, 8:32 AM
My experience echos Carroll's more than Dave's. Mine went into service holding down a dumpster many years ago. The new table does not allow for a fence in the designed manner.

Mike Cutler
10-31-2016, 8:58 AM
It's missing the rear fence.
The bigger heavier radials are quite versatile, but the lighter framed model, like that one, could be hard to keep tuned. There's a lot of stress on that beam when that saw is working. The SCMS pretty much took their place, at least at that price level. Used to cut stair treads with one as a teenager, but it was quite a bit beefier than that one. I still have all my fingers too. ;)
If you're really looking for an RAS, try to find a late 50's, early 60's DeWalt. The beams are much beefier.

Alan Rutherford
10-31-2016, 9:43 AM
The RAS was more versatile than a table saw and for the things it did best it was very good. Chop saws killed that market. Good point about the healthcare deductibe and using it to trim your fingernails. I don't remember exactly what I was (mis-)using mine for but it launched a chunk of wood through the window, tearing a hole in the curtain and breaking the glass, and across the driveway and the neighbor's driveway and hit his house hard enough that he came out to see what was going on.

Rick Potter
10-31-2016, 12:19 PM
Good one John,

Looks like that table is used to sell the saw. I'll bet it is not even screwed down.

John McClanahan
10-31-2016, 12:34 PM
I think the OP's point is that the table has NO fence. You can't use a RAS without one.

We have a winner!

Dave Zellers
10-31-2016, 1:01 PM
Seemed rather obvious- thus the 'off topic' banter.

Bob Blarneystone
10-31-2016, 7:51 PM
There seems to be a lot of hostility to radial saws, often from people who know nothing about using them. There are no safe machines -- only cautious operators.

I use my DeWalt RAS for all kinds of cuts, and I'm not worried about using it. One key is to keep it aligned, especially so that the plane of the blade is parallel to the line of cut. Another key is to use a blade that is suitable, one with a near-zero or negative hook -- a thin-kerf sliding miter saw blade is a good first choice, NEVER use a table saw blade- the teeth are too aggressive and has a tendency to self-feed.

Your saw needs a sacrificial table placed upon what you already have. Try using MDF, using pieces of various widths 11, 6, 3 inches. Bolt the 11 inch board down at the front, and then place the others down. Set the fence, and then use parallel folding wedges as clamps on the back edge.

Frederick Skelly
10-31-2016, 9:14 PM
.... often from people who know nothing about using them.

Most people who have successfully used RAS know that the things you said about safe and proper use are true. Nothing you said is particularly new or revealing. I'd be willing to bet that myself and several others here are as proficient with that machine as it sounds like you are. So please lay off with the "know nothing" routine. The point of this thread, is that this particular RAS gives the appearance of NOT being used safely.

John M: I think it would be interesting to email the guy selling it to ask whether he's even used it - and what for - since he got the new tabletop (it's unmarked - looks unused to me too).

Fred

John McClanahan
11-01-2016, 7:32 AM
That one caught my eye. Most have a scrap of plywood or particle board as a table. The way the table on this one extends past the column shows he took some time trying to make the saw look good. Still, there is no way to safely use the saw!

John

Joe Kieve
11-01-2016, 8:04 AM
Very carefully!

or better yet, never

My sentiments exactly...especially never!

John K Jordan
11-01-2016, 8:33 AM
I have a Craftsman RAS in good shape that a creeker close enough can have for free if close enough to come after it. I bought it new over 40 years ago and used it a lot but don't have room for it now. It is on a sturdy wood stand with a shelf and drawer.

I always tacked a sacrificial layer of 1/4" plywood to the top to prevent cutting into the table.

JKJ

Bob Blarneystone
11-01-2016, 6:31 PM
It appears that most comments here are from people who have limited or no experience with them. First I would suggest that there are no safe machines - only cautious operators. Get past the blather, and learn how to use it competently.

I've used an RAS for 30 years, and have been using my DeWalt RAS daily for months for ripping, bevel ripping, crosscuts, bevel crosscutting, miters, and beveled miters, and dados. There are a number of things that are good practices, and here's the first two:

1) Keep the saw aligned, especially keep the plane of the blade perfectly parallel to the path of cut.

2) >NEVER< use a table saw blade -- the tooth configuration is far too aggressive and the blade will self-feed. Choose a blade with a hook angle somewhere between +5d to -5d. A reasonable choice might be blade for a sliding miter saw, such as Freud thin-kerf blades.

There is a book by the late Wally Kunkel aka "Mr. Sawdust" which is fairly comprehensive. http://www.mrsawdust.com/

Van Huskey
11-01-2016, 6:58 PM
It appears that most comments here are from people who have limited or no experience with them.

You don't "get" it. It is a discussion about some odd pictures with a saw that has had the table replaced with no regard to a fence.

The majority of people here have been around the block more than once, some still have them, others have decided other tools function better in their place for the person's work flow. For me a CSMS, along with a Festool MFT/tracksaw/router now do the functions of a RAS in my shop.

Dok Yager
11-01-2016, 7:41 PM
OUCH! I remember those my best friends Dad had one back in the 70`s. Very dangerous if you weren`t completely focused and alone! Great weight for something.

Frederick Skelly
11-01-2016, 7:42 PM
You don't "get" it. It is a discussion about some odd pictures with a saw that has had the table replaced with no regard to a fence.

The majority of people here have been around the block more than once, some still have them, others have decided other tools function better in their place for the person's work flow.

Van said it very well. There's nothing wrong with a well tuned and safely operated RAS. My personal needs/wants shifted to other tools. That doesn't mean that RAS isn't still a useful or valuable component in someone else's shop. To each his own.

Fred

John McClanahan
11-01-2016, 9:38 PM
While that saw has a very nice table, there is nothing odd about it. Here are a few more currently listed. Little wonder these saws are considered dangerous.

I really liked my Delta turret RAS, but needed the space more than the saw, so I recently sold it.:(

John

Roy Turbett
11-04-2016, 12:02 AM
And I thought mine was the only one that came that way! Just picked this one up last week.

Matt Day
11-04-2016, 7:46 AM
This thread is still active? I know it's a little slow around here but come on guys.

(Yes I do understand I am adding to it.)

Alan Rutherford
11-04-2016, 8:14 AM
I'm beginning to understand what to look for if I want a radial arm saw cheap: a seller with bandages and bruises and no fence on the table.