PDA

View Full Version : Examples - Auger Bit Depth Stops

Eric Brown
10-29-2016, 4:55 PM
First, a sampling of bits.
L-R: Russell Jennings double twist #12, Irwin solid center #12, C.E. Jennings single twist #12, Bailey single twist #12, BGI Forstner #12, Old style spoon bit #10, New style spoon bit #10, Nose bit #6, S.T. Company #7 (for end grain). Note: Center bits not shown. There are many variations of the above bits but for the purpose of illustrating depth stops and levels they represent the majority you might be using.

Next are depth stops. There are two basic styles. The first style clamps onto the twist part of the bit (called the pod) and the second style clamps on the shaft. The following represent the ones you might be using.

L-R: Stanley 49 (Nickel), Stanley 49 (Japanned), Craftsman 4182, Eclipse, Stanley 47, Millers Falls, Garrett.
The first four all mount to the pod. The Stanley 49 can handle bits up to 1" and fits the double twist types best. It is a little less secure on the Irwin and will sometimes fit the Bailey. It will not work with the others. The Craftsman and Eclipse are similar and are limited to #12 and smaller bits. They share the same compatibility Issues as the Stanley 49. The next three depth stops all mount to the shaft. The Stanley 47 uses a spring with a small pad on the bottom. It can handle bits from #3 to #24. The Millers has an adjustable rod with an offset holder for a ball bearing. It can handle regular bits that range from #3 to #24 but can also handle Forstners up to #40 (2 1/2"). The last is a 1881 Garrett, that has a roller at the end of the leg. It can only be used on smaller bits.

The center bits (not shown), spoon, nose, and end grain bits are usually not able to use the above types of depth stops.

Homemade ones can be made that basically are a piece of wood or dowel that slide up the pod until it contacts the brace chuck.

Normand Leblanc
10-29-2016, 6:09 PM
I have a Millers Falls no. 36. I've never used it but it's nice to have.

Normand

lowell holmes
10-29-2016, 9:25 PM
I tried my recently purchased Stanley 49 today. I was pleased with the results.

I am happy to have it, because to bore holes to specified depth has been a challenge for me. I'm sure I am alone with that.:)

Eric Brown
10-30-2016, 7:14 AM
On another thread it was mentioned that depth stops can mark the board. Suggestion were to put leather on them. But think about it. The typical way to woodwork starts with squaring and sizing the boards slightly larger than final. You then do the joinery and then finish smoothing the surfaces before assembly whenever possible. Sometimes you must assemble to finish smoothing the surfaces. Boring holes are a type of joinery. The point is, if a depth stop marks the surface a little, so what. It will be cleaned up later.

But do you need a depth stop at all? Most bits have screw points that regulate the speed a bit bores. Simply count the revolutions needed to obtain the depth you are after and repeat for other holes. Start with a test board and bore down ten turns. Take out the bit and measure the depth. Divide by ten and you can determine the depth pure turn. Write it down and keep it with your bits.

Enjoy the journey.

Glen Canaday
10-30-2016, 8:01 AM
This thread (especially Normand's MF #36) gives me a few ideas for how to homebrew a depth stop.

Jim Koepke
10-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Most bits have screw points that regulate the speed a bit bores. Simply count the revolutions needed to obtain the depth you are after and repeat for other holes.

Enjoy the journey.

I use the count method often when making through bores to know when to stop and turn the board over to drill from the other side. It is a pretty reliable method as long as you do not hit a knot or a soft spot in the wood.

jtk

Eric Brown
11-05-2016, 5:56 PM
In my earlier post I showed a type 2. Here is a type 1 with cast clamp and a solid, bent, rod. Next to it is the newer type 2 with stamped steel clamp and bent rod with bearing on end. It is mounted to a 2" Forstner bit. Few of the others can work on a Forstner.

Would anybody be interested in my other unusual bits and brace accessories?

Jim Koepke
11-05-2016, 6:06 PM
Would anybody be interested in my other unusual bits and brace accessories?

I would, it sounds like a great idea for a new thread.

I have a few odd bits and accessories to add.

jtk

lowell holmes
11-05-2016, 7:06 PM
I would, it sounds like a great idea for a new thread.

I have a few odd bits and accessories to add.

jtk

I agree, show us more of your collection.