PDA

View Full Version : 4 wheel alignment on 2 wheel drive?

Bruce Page
10-29-2016, 4:25 PM
Scam? The local Infinity dealer is telling my wife that her rear wheel drive 2012 EX35 needs a 4 wheel alignment. She told him that it is only a 2 wheel drive, so why should it need 4 wheels aligned? He said it needed it anyway.

I don't trust dealers all that much, especially if they think they can scam a woman.

John Stankus
10-29-2016, 5:11 PM
Does it have independent rear suspension? Solid axle in the rear, not much alignment to be done there, but if independent rear you have a few more degrees of freedom

Brian Elfert
10-29-2016, 5:37 PM
Yes, cars can need four wheel alignment. How you know if they are telling the truth on needing an alignment at all is another story. Has anyone ever had a free alignment check done and not needed an alignment?

My converted coach bus has a tag axle with independent suspension. I hit something with the tag wheel a few years back and the shoulder of the tire started wearing. $500 later and the alignment was fixed. I never knew the tag axle could get out of alignment, but it has adjustments if it does.

George Bokros
10-29-2016, 5:43 PM
Has anyone ever had a free alignment check done and not needed an alignment?

I have three times on three different vehicles from three different service facilities.

Yes two wheel drive vehicles need a four wheel alignment. I had good friend that was having problems on a new car with tires wearing badly and the car actually changing lanes. The dealer aligned it several times and finally sent it our and found that the rear axle was not straight in the car and propelling the car down the road on an angle. Adjusted the rear axle position and the problem was solved.

Myk Rian
10-29-2016, 8:31 PM
Getting 4 wheels aligned insures the car isn't dog-tracking.

Jim Becker
10-29-2016, 9:26 PM
2WD or 4WD, correct alignment insures that you'll have even tire wear and that the vehicle will track correctly and safely. Suspension does "go out" over time as bumps and other things take their toll. At a minimum, I get an alignment done when I replace tires, but sooner if I notice anything being amiss with tracking or tread wear.

Bruce Page
10-29-2016, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not a contemporary car guy. I was in the 60's & 70's, now I just drive them. I just never heard of a 4 wheel alignment. I will need to get new tires on it in the next year or so, I'll have it aligned then.

I just don't trust the people that try to pressure LOML for car repairs. Years ago she took her Mazda 626 to Break Masters for new brakes. They called a couple of hours later and told her that all 4 brake cylinders were leaking and would need to be replaced. I went down to take a look and it was obvious that someone had poked each rubber seal with a screwdriver. Needless to say, I went ballistic! If it weren't for my government security clearance I would have kicked some serious butt that day and would have probably ended up in jail..

Kev Williams
10-30-2016, 2:22 AM
Some IRS setups have provision to adjust for toe, some don't. If that Infinity has IRS, then an alignment check is a good idea.

Solid rear axle rear suspension has no provision to adjust which way the wheels are pointing. If a solid axle isn't tracking correctly, it doesn't get "aligned". It gets "fixed", because something is bent, broken or totally worn out. Worst case with a tracking issue would be a bent frame....

Brian W Smith
10-30-2016, 4:35 AM
30+ years ago I built a huge 2 story addition onto a 1930's,general repair garage.The cool part was that one of four bays was/is for aligning buses and trucks....

Another bay is for fancy computer alignment,then state of the art Hunter brand.As such,I'm hanging around this alignment shop and soaking up info like a sponge.

One day a brand new,zero miles Lincoln comes in."How or why are you making adjustments to a brand new car"?The older fellow goes,"you ever see cars on a new car hauler(big trucks)?Think about the one that's hanging up top,on the very back"....ahhh,got it.

Chuck Wintle
10-30-2016, 12:01 PM
Scam? The local Infinity dealer is telling my wife that her rear wheel drive 2012 EX35 needs a 4 wheel alignment. She told him that it is only a 2 wheel drive, so why should it need 4 wheels aligned? He said it needed it anyway.

I don't trust dealers all that much, especially if they think they can scam a woman.
But what is the complaint that is making the dealer recommend a 4 wheel alignment? If it is pulling left or right is it new problem or the result of hitting some obstacle on the road? Sometimes swapping tires around will cure problems.

Van Huskey
10-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Where do you guys find these Infinity brand cars? Are they Chinese knock-offs like a Folex watch?

Bruce Page
10-30-2016, 1:37 PM
Where do you guys find these Infinity brand cars? Are they Chinese knock-offs like a Folex watch?

Japanese mfg upper tier. Toyota brand has Lexus, Nissan has Infinity.

Brian Elfert
10-30-2016, 2:25 PM
Japanese mfg upper tier. Toyota brand has Lexus, Nissan has Infinity.

Van is being silly because you misspelled Infiniti. Any reader here of average intelligence probably knew what car brand you meant.

Bruce Page
10-30-2016, 4:09 PM
Van is being silly because you misspelled Infiniti. Any reader here of average intelligence probably knew what car brand you meant.

duh, you're right. :o
Like I said, I just dive them.. ;)

Van Huskey
11-12-2016, 8:08 PM
duh, you're right. :o
Like I said, I just dive them.. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help it, being a frequent poster on car forums I see this all the time, Inifniti is the second most misspelled car marque behind Lamborghini. Ferrari is probably third, people get tripped up with all the Rs.