PDA

View Full Version : Filing big japanese saw.

Oskar Sedell
10-29-2016, 7:35 AM
Hi all.

Some time ago I bought this used saw with the intention of using it for ripping. It arrived dull, and with a tooth profile which I guess is for crosscutting, possibly for green branches (please correct me here if I'm wrong). In its present state it won't cut anything.

I want to refile it with rip teeth. I have a feather file, and a diamond coated japanese saw file as well. Since it is big rip teeth I think I can pull this off, and hopefully get a decently working saw.

Before I start I want to ask the members here with experience in sharpening/filing japanese saws if this saw type has the potential of beeing a useable rip saw (the dedicated ones I've seen in pictures usually have wider blades)?

Furthermore, I'd appreciate any advice on filing jap. rip saws. Anything in particular I should be aware of?

With 15'' Jack for scale:

Tooth profile, welding line and stamps:

Looking forward to hear about your experiences.

Oskar

Stewie Simpson
10-29-2016, 7:49 AM
Oscar; looking at the thick gauge of the saw plate along the tooth line, it may not cut too cleanly in a rip tooth. Japanese Saws are not my forte so others may offer a more experienced opinion.

Stewie;

Oskar Sedell
10-31-2016, 4:40 AM
Thanks Stewie. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What I know is that the set is quite big, and I think that it will get better when I file the teeth down to the rip profile.

Stewie Simpson
10-31-2016, 4:47 AM
Oscar; would I be right in suggesting the saw teeth at the moment are sharpened with crosscut fleam.

Oskar Sedell
10-31-2016, 5:14 AM
yes, they are.

Jim Koepke
10-31-2016, 11:27 AM
Can you tell if the current profile is original or if it was altered by a former user?

jtk

Oskar Sedell
10-31-2016, 12:07 PM
Hi Jim, no I can't. The teeth are a bit uneven, especially in the amount of set. But I can't say if this is due to rough use or if they have been set like that.

Jim Koepke
10-31-2016, 12:12 PM
Hi Jim, no I can't. The teeth are a bit uneven, especially in the amount of set. But I can't say if this is due to rough use or if they have been set like that.

I am not much up on Japanese saws. One thought is they do not have a lot of set. Makes me wonder if some amateur with a saw set thought they were sharpening it by giving it more set. I have met a few no nothings that think a saw set is a sharpener.

jtk

Jim Koepke
10-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Forgot to mention the set can be removed if need be by pressing the saw in a good machinist vise.

jtk

Oskar Sedell
10-31-2016, 1:17 PM
Yes, I've read about removing set this way. But, by filing the teeth to rip profile they will loose their sharp, crosscut tips, and thus the set will become less. Actually, I hope that enough set will remain after filing, since I have neither a saw set, nor tried setting the saw with hammer and anvil.

Pat Barry
10-31-2016, 1:33 PM
I assume you need special files to sharpen teeth on a saw like this. What type are they, where do you get them?

Stewie Simpson
10-31-2016, 9:08 PM
Pat; here's a good lead; http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/tsubotama_japanese_saw_files.htm

Stewie;