PDA

View Full Version : Clamping straight edge

jack duren
10-28-2016, 6:49 PM
Been looking around at these wondering if there was any brands offered that have more metal for guts versus plastic? I see the Bora brand but thought maybe there was a brand that is better that I'm missing.

What is the longest single and combined offered?

glenn bradley
10-28-2016, 7:12 PM
The E.Emerson Tool All In One "Contractor" (http://www.eemersontool.com/c-series)version seemed the best balance between price and function for me. Generally available and frequently on sale (Rockler, Amazon, even Wal Mart). They offer a narrower "A" version and a hella-stout "U" series. I find the Bora pretty light by comparison. The Pro-Grip offered by Peachtree is about the same weight as the All In One and simlarly proced but, I have no hands on experience with them. The All In One went on sale and I had been waiting to snap one up so that's where I landed.

Bill Conerly
10-28-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm currently using a board that I will C-clamp on plywood sheets as an edge. When I'm almost at the right location, I lightly clamp and then tap with a mallet to get it exactly right. Can I do that with one of these edge guides, or would I have to release the clamp, reposition, and then re-clamp?

glenn bradley
10-29-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm currently using a board that I will C-clamp on plywood sheets as an edge. When I'm almost at the right location, I lightly clamp and then tap with a mallet to get it exactly right. Can I do that with one of these edge guides, or would I have to release the clamp, reposition, and then re-clamp?

The ones I use have a stepped clamping force. The first position of the handle is "loose", the second is "snug" and you can definitely tap and nudge things into position. The third position is "clamped" and stays put. These deices are all fairly lightweight which eases their use. They use plastic as well as metal parts. They are very usable by someone familiar with the use and care of tools but, would die a tragic death in hands of some of the troglodytes I've worked with. My point is that they are a nice tool but, they are not a "clamp" in the sense that a pipe clamp is a clamp.

Warren Wilson
10-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Since buying a track saw I've not needed mine as much -- but it is a guide rather than a clamp. So I don't think it needs to be any stouter than mine (the Emerson), which I've had for better than 10 years. It looks like there is an 8-footer available now, though I only have the 4-footer.

One thing you might look out for is play. One brand (forget which -- I didn't but it), had a tiny bit of movement even when clamped in the tight position, which would defeat the purpose.

Cary Falk
10-29-2016, 11:01 AM
If you are looking at the ones that apply pressure to the edge of the plywood instead of from the bottom to the clamp, I will say one thing. They don't work well with thin plywood. On a large span the want to bow the plywood and not sit flat on it. I have had some issues with plywood up to 5/8".

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31Hz%2B6jVV%2BL.jpg

Dan Rude
10-29-2016, 4:33 PM
I have one of the Bora's I like it because you can set an angle with it. Otherwise, I have the Emerson which I have had many years now. Both the newer style and the older style. I now bought the TrueTrac saw guide for a track saw. Nice system, price at shows made it worth a buy. Dan

jack duren
10-29-2016, 6:02 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. As far as track saws,etc I have no actual use for one. I had a bunch of parts come off a CNC and the dado was to narrow for the other parts. One of the cad guys offered his straight edge clamp and it worked well to get the other 32nd with the router. Now I've seen these for years but never payed much attention to them till now.

Bottom line...I have ignored this accessory for years and now that I've used one and how easy it was I wish to buy a few. I will borrow once but prefer to have my own. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks....

Guess I'm trying to find the "better made" of the straight edge clamp..........

jack duren
10-29-2016, 6:05 PM
I have one of the Bora's I like it because you can set an angle with it. Otherwise, I have the Emerson which I have had many years now. Both the newer style and the older style. I now bought the TrueTrac saw guide for a track saw. Nice system, price at shows made it worth a buy. Dan

So do you feel the BORA is better made than the Emerson other than its ability to set at angles?

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2016, 6:47 PM
Just another option.
I have used this in my shop and been happy with it. Price is right too.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Swanson-Tool-Company-8-3-ft-SAE-Straight-Edge/1006469

Cary Falk
10-29-2016, 7:03 PM
Just another option.
I have used this in my shop and been happy with it. Price is right too.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Swanson-Tool-Company-8-3-ft-SAE-Straight-Edge/1006469

I had one of these before I got a track saw. I liked it better than the Bora that my friend had before he got a track saw.

Doug Hepler
10-29-2016, 7:54 PM
I have three lengths of the Emerson and a non-clamping one that I got from LeeValley. I have had some problems with the clamping action on the Emersons. The mechanism can get stuck, so that the lever resistance makes me think it is tight when it is not. This is annoying, but I am just careful to be sure that it is really clamped. I use them frequently. I made a "story stick" to help me get the offset right for my circular saw.

The LeeValley one is similar to the current product # 05J50.01. It comes apart for crosscutting and easier storage. I screwed it to some 1/4" melamine coated Masonite, which lets me clamp it to the plywood and acts as a story stick to get the offset correct.

Doug

jack duren
10-29-2016, 8:43 PM
I have three lengths of the Emerson and a non-clamping one that I got from LeeValley. I have had some problems with the clamping action on the Emersons. The mechanism can get stuck, so that the lever resistance makes me think it is tight when it is not. This is annoying, but I am just careful to be sure that it is really clamped. I use them frequently. I made a "story stick" to help me get the offset right for my circular saw.

The LeeValley one is similar to the current product # 05J50.01. It comes apart for crosscutting and easier storage. I screwed it to some 1/4" melamine coated Masonite, which lets me clamp it to the plywood and acts as a story stick to get the offset correct.

Doug

Thx...This is input I can use. I'm looking for a commercial straight edge clamp but I don't think they exist. I could really use one over 144" long but nothing yet....

lowell holmes
10-30-2016, 11:05 AM
You might go to a store that sells long aluminum channels. It would probably be a store that services of the construction industry.

Also, a machine shop can fix you up as well.

jack duren
10-30-2016, 12:17 PM
You might go to a store that sells long aluminum channels. It would probably be a store that services of the construction industry.

Also, a machine shop can fix you up as well.

I think some of you are missing the question. I have no interest in making or using separate clamps to get a straight edge. I'm only interested in a "all in one" clamping straight edge. I have 16' straight edges but non that have clamps built in.....

Mark W Pugh
10-30-2016, 6:34 PM
What exactly are you trying to do with this product you are looking for? I'm confused, which is easy to do.

jack duren
10-30-2016, 6:44 PM
What exactly are you trying to do with this product you are looking for? I'm confused, which is easy to do.

Read post #8

Dan Rude
10-31-2016, 12:23 AM
I only have the 1 Bora Clamp. I seem to use the Emerson the most since I have all the different sizes (not the 8') and only a 36" Bora. I used it to trim a few of the old doors in my house. It seems they were a little long when I put in new floors. Otherwise, I only use them for straight edge or a stop for something. Quality for Bora over Emerson, I do not see that much difference. Find the best price and the jigs you want to use. Dan