PDA

View Full Version : Metal Work bench need support for cabinet with drawers

laura vianello
10-27-2016, 1:42 PM
We got a great TRESTON LAB workbench for free. It is 60x18. It looks like the attachment (metal workbench 1). I want to build a cabinet underneath the top. I need drawers (see a whole wood version in attachment 2). The structure will be a very long box with partitions for the drawers. However I have concerns about sagging. I have a couple of ideas to uses metal braces and 2x4 to support the big box but it is quite hard to find straight 2x4 in my HD. I though I would post to see if somebody has a better idea or has ever done anything similar. Thanks for helping

Eric Commarato
10-28-2016, 9:05 AM

I built this cabinet for miscellaneous tooling under my South Bend lathe steel table I fabricated. The box is made from just plain old 1x6 pine boards hand cut dovetails for the carcass. The drawers were also hand cut dovetails. I was just practicing my dovetailing skills! I painted the entire cabinet with Kilz as a primer then 2 coats of Rustoleum smoke grey and a mini roller.

Mark Gibney
10-28-2016, 11:34 AM
You're not going to find dry, straight 2x4's at the HD.

Why not make the carcass from 3/4" plywood?

laura vianello
10-28-2016, 1:40 PM
Hi Mark, my carcass for the cabinet would be 5/8 baltic. It will be a cabinet 57x14 that goes under the base. The shorter side will sit on the metal beam right and left. The problem is the long side which is a 57x14 base of 5/8 baltic plywood. Even though I will put partitions to add drawers etc, I am concern that the base will sag. Maybe I am overlooking and it will be fine. To answer your question...I have the BB already

laura vianello
10-28-2016, 1:41 PM
looks good