PDA

View Full Version : Bunk Bed Finished

Byron Trantham
10-04-2005, 5:43 PM
Well here is the Bunk Bed I have been working for about 6 weeks. I made it using 5/4 red oak, finished with Min Wax stain and top coated with lacquer. All the drawers are mounted on full extension rollers. All the critical (safety issues) joints are glued and doweled. All the break down joints are made with brass threaded inserts and bronze finished 1/4-20 bed bolts. The desk unit has a 1-1/2" gromet to allow lamp cords, keyboard cords, etc to pass down to the outlets/computer.

Christian Aufreiter
10-04-2005, 5:55 PM
Nice job, Byron. Thanks for the pics.

Regards,

Christian

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2005, 6:02 PM
Bryon, the bunk bed are absolutely awesome. Beautiful work.

Jim Hager
10-04-2005, 6:14 PM
Man what a nice place to take a nap or spend the night. Great job on the bunk bed set and the desk looks like a dandy from here too. Is this set for your son or daughter or maybe a grandkid??

Brian Hale
10-04-2005, 6:28 PM
Great job Bryon!! I really like the design, is it your own or did you work from a plan?

Looks good!

Brian :)

Richard Wolf
10-04-2005, 6:30 PM
Good looking project, well done!

Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
Byron.....beautiful and functional!

Keith Burns
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL ! Great details and design. Two thumbs up for sure.

Corey Hallagan
10-04-2005, 7:46 PM
I agree with the others, that isn't your typical bunk bed! Great job!

Corey

Jim Becker
10-04-2005, 7:56 PM
Great work, as usual, Byron!!! BTW, I believe that would be called a "loft bed" since it's one bunk up top with "other things" on the bottom. I spent a lot of my college days with a similar, but much more "thrown together" format since I always bid for the small single room in the fraternity. (Which was a very small, L-shaped broom closet...literally...when my father lived in the same house... :) )

Byron Trantham
10-04-2005, 9:54 PM
Great job Bryon!! I really like the design, is it your own or did you work from a plan?

Looks good!

Brian :)
I was given a picture by my client and I put it up in CAD. They told me what material and color they wanted.

Mike Waddell
10-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Nice work Byron. I am sure your client will be very hapy with it!

Mike

Larry Fox
10-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Very, very nice. The recipient of that fine piece of craftsmanship is lucky indeed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-05-2005, 12:53 AM
I REALLY like that. :) Effective use of space...rugged and good looking. There HAS to be a 'shop' application for a desk/storage above design like that.

KC

Gary Herrmann
10-05-2005, 1:58 AM
My wife recently suggested we do something similar for my son. I'll show her your design and as her what she thinks. It turned out very well indeed.

Vaughn McMillan
10-05-2005, 3:51 AM
Excellent job, Bryon. Looks very strongly built and nicely finished. I'll bet the client will get multiple generations worth of use out of it.

- Vaughn

John Hart
10-05-2005, 7:11 AM
Wow Byron...that's exactly what my daughters need right now. I hope you don't mind if I pirate your design. Beautifully done!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-05-2005, 8:37 AM
Bryon, that is a wonderful looking bed!! I really like the usefulness of the desk and cubbies.

Mark Hulette
10-05-2005, 9:15 AM
Byron-

Nice work! I built one of those for my daughter a few years back and the utilization of space is very handy.

One question: what is that platform mounted on the top rail?

Jim Hinze
10-05-2005, 9:17 AM
Byron,

Great piece. It actually gives me a good idea for the legs on a loft bed I'm working on now...

I love the finish as well....

Jason Tuinstra
10-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Byron, it looks great. The finish turned out really well for you. I'm sure it will get a lot of use in the years to come. Great job.

Jim W. White
10-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Very nice execution Byron!

I like the way you incorporated both office type drawers for the desk aspect and clothes type drawers.

...Jim in Idaho

Byron Trantham
10-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Byron-

One question: what is that platform mounted on the top rail?

It's called a night table. I slides on the top rail. Provides a little table for a book, dinner plate, etc. It just lifts off when not in use.

Byron Trantham
10-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Wow Byron...that's exactly what my daughters need right now. I hope you don't mind if I pirate your design. Beautifully done!

Have at it! :D Glad you like it.

Don Baer
10-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Another bute. Question are the legs Mitered ? If so how did you fasten the two pieces ?

Byron Trantham
10-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Another bute. Question are the legs Mitered ? If so how did you fasten the two pieces ?

I cut them 45 degrees along the length and then used biscuits. There were a couple SMALL aberration's (gaps) but after I routed the edge, they disappeared! I was a little concerned about the joint - visually, but it turned out looking like one solid piece. Whew! :D

Mark Hulette
10-05-2005, 2:16 PM
It's called a night table. I slides on the top rail. Provides a little table for a book, dinner plate, etc. It just lifts off when not in use.

I thought that might be what it was - neat idea! One might be able to attach a substantial platform that could hold a small TV yet be removeable as needed. Cool! :cool:

Michael Gabbay
10-05-2005, 2:24 PM
Byron - Very Nice!

Byron Trantham
10-05-2005, 2:28 PM
I thought that might be what it was - neat idea! One might be able to attach a substantial platform that could hold a small TV yet be removeable as needed. Cool! :cool:

Believe me, this thing is strong. It would hold a 19", CRT type TV! :p