PDA

View Full Version : Okay... Need Table Saw Help..

Randy Gleckler
06-17-2003, 4:41 PM
Okay all,

I am at the point of a lot of people that I've decided I need (want) a cabinet table saw. As money is an issue I've been watching for a decent sale in my area or a used one. I had pretty much decided on a Unisaw or a Jet but hadn't seen a lot of them in the Colorado area. However, I just found a Powermatic 66 Left Tilt saw in my area for $850. It looks like a good deal. Supposed to run well (might go look at it physically tomorrow). Only problem is that it's a 3 phase and I would need to get a phase converter. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

Mac McAtee
06-17-2003, 4:53 PM
I would grab it and run, as long as none of the cast iron is cracked or broken. Check the trunions for unusual play, normally it can be adjusted out but you want to make sure that there are no teeth broken on the quadrant and none broken on the screw. You can get a single phase motor to fit and sell the 3 phase or go the phase conversion route.

Phil Phelps
06-17-2003, 5:36 PM
Originally posted by Mac McAtee
I would grab it and run, as long as none of the cast iron is cracked or broken. Check the trunions for unusual play, normally it can be adjusted out but you want to make sure that there are no teeth broken on the quadrant and none broken on the screw. You can get a single phase motor to fit and sell the 3 phase or go the phase conversion route.

I'd buy it for me, but what about the price of the conversion or the Baldor motor? He is on a budget, Mac.

Dave Avery
06-17-2003, 8:51 PM
For the same price (or less), you can have a new Grizzly. I haven't used the machine, but it's extremely well reviewed, particularly for those who don't WANT to spend more.

As an alternative to a cabinet saw, I bought a Dewalt DW746 because I have a basement shop (difficult access) and only have 110 (lazy). As a semi-serious hobbiest, I've been nothing but happy with the purchase.

I mention both these saws because they can be had for about the same sum that you mentioned. Good luck. Dave.

PeterTorresani
06-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Assuming there is no major damage to the machine, and it is younger than you, it is worth $850.

If there is a place near you that buys/sells motors, you could probably convert to a single phase for less than $100.

Depending on why it is being sold, you could probably talk the guy out of a couple blades and/or jigs that fit the saw. This may not be worth a lot of $, but definitely time.

Don Farr
06-18-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure of the horsepower but a single phase 3 hp Leeson, TEFC runs about 296.00 and a 5 hp leeson, TEFC runs about 401.00. That's for a new one.
I had a price list on phase converters but can't seem to find it now. But they are pretty pricey.

Bob Boake
06-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Just personal bias, but I look real hard at 3 phase stuff. Most comes from professional shops and has had a hard life. Whenever possible I purchase used tools from hobbiests that would not wear out the tool in several lifetimes. If it was a homeowner owned tool that was still in great shape it sounds like a buy, but I would pass on a commercial shop sell off with a lot of miles on it. Good luck.

Randy Gleckler
06-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Thank you for all the reply's. I was able to go take a look at it and the saw is in very good condition. It's from 1997. Cast iron top is in very good condition. Was previously owned by a custom door and window shop. It's been stored for at least a year, and I could find no rust on it. It has a 3phase 5HP motor on it and the original fence. The fence looks to have the 50" rails but no extension table, just the rails. Over all looks like it would be a good deal, if not for me then someone. I've started looking around to see what it will cost for the motor.

I appreciate all the feedback and am looking closely before I buy.

Charles McKinley
06-18-2003, 1:54 PM
Talk to Gary at Anderson Converters 1-800-638-7902 OR E-MAIL Gary@andersonconverters.com.

He sells on ebay and a 3-5 HP static converter is $79+shipping.

I talked to him about a weekago and he is a straight shooter and told me it would not work for my application.

No affiliation just happy with his honesty.

You may have to leave a message but he will call you back.

It sounds like a great buy. After having to ship mine I had $1500 in it. I'm now very happy with it.

Steven Wilson
06-18-2003, 5:08 PM
Besides the motor swap you'll need to change the heaters in the Mag switch. Powermatic can help you with those parts. If you're looking towards a future of other 3 phase machinery you might want to consider a rotary phase converter - a bit of up front money now but it would probably pay for itself on the 3rd machine.

Don Farr
06-19-2003, 2:58 PM
I have been thinking about this post off and on all day and I feel like I should tell you, if you buy this saw with the three phase motor I would try and find yourself a good used 5HP single phase motor and change it out.
Phase converters use capacitors to trick the motor into seeing that third phase. You generally lose torque and horsepower. It will work in some applications but not all. I guess I just don't like them.
I have been in the motor and motor control business for 35 years and I have seen this tried a bunch of times. Sometimes it works to the customers satisfaction and sometimes it don't.
One other option that has not been mentioned is the VFD (variable frequency drive). Single phase in and three phase out with the bonus of speed control. Although I don't know if variable speed on a saw would be beneficial or not.
I recently helped a friend put a VFD on his lathe and he loves it. I have also put one on my drill press and I like it too.
I am sure somebody will jump in and tell me that they have had a phase converter running for years with no problems and I won't doubt it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Rob Russell
06-19-2003, 4:23 PM
I wouldn't walk away from the saw because it's 3-phase. If you're willing to spend some time, you can build your own rotary phase convertor (RPC) for not a lot of money (probably under $200). I wouldn't use a static convertor - you'll only get about 2.5-3 HP out of the saw after that.

VFD's are nice, but a 230VAC single phase input VFD rated for 5 HP won't be cheap. You can get a good deal on ebay if you're patient.

The nice thing about going the 3-phase route is that it opens up a whole raft of options for you in the future. Even if you decide to spend the money for a new VFD, you can swap it from machine to machine and - for something like a lathe or drill press - the variable speed can be really handy.

I went the "build your own RPC" because I have multiple 3-phase machines now that I need to run simultaneously. That's about the only limiitation of a VFD - it can only drive 1 machine at a time.

If you decide to build your own RPC, I can point you to some great sources of information.

Rob

Charles McKinley
06-20-2003, 1:21 AM
Hi Rob,

Please post the rotary phase converter info or send it to me in aprivate message. I'm interested in building one.

Thank you,

Randy Gleckler
06-20-2003, 3:12 PM
Well.. It looks like the deal fell through on the Powermatic. However I was able to get the Unisaw for about the same price. It's a 3 phase as well but has the Beismeyer (sp?) 50" Fence with it and is very good condition as well. I believe based on some advice here and from some others I've talked to I'm going to go the route of replacing the motor with a single phase motor. I think that will work out better for me. Thanks for all your input and I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Randy

Ed Falis
06-20-2003, 7:34 PM
Hey, best of luck with it - I think getting the single-phase replacement motor is the right route, too. Enjoy!

- Ed

John Davidson
06-20-2003, 9:40 PM
A few months back I replaced the motor on my bandsaw. I was able to pick up 1.5 hp leeson from Electric Motor Wharehouse. I have no affilation with them but they beat the pants on ever local supplier. $157 delivered to my front door. You might want to check them out.