PDA

View Full Version : Need a 20mm lens mounting ring.

Bob Crimmins
10-26-2016, 9:15 PM
Hey gang,

I bought a replacement laser head assembly last year (don't even remember where I bought it) and I'm just now getting around to installing it. It appears that the lens mounting ring/sleeve that secures the lens in place wasn't included with the assembly. I've looked and looked and can't find anyone that sells them. Anyone have any ideas about where to get one of these?

Here are some pics to clarify.

This is the entire assembly:

This is how the tube and lens are assembled:

This is a look down the tube where the out-threaded lens mount ring would/should go:

Bert Kemp
10-26-2016, 9:36 PM
try Rabbit Laser USA

John Noell
10-26-2016, 10:56 PM
Apparently not all lens tubes (and rings) are the same. Lightobject told me that they do not use the Shenhui style. I got an extra tube from Shenhui so i could swith lenses more easily, but it came with no ring! When I asked them to send me a ring ("just drop one in an envelope to me"), I got the major runaround. They said they only send via DHL or other courier. They finally compromised and I "only" had to pay US$25 (half of total cost they tell me as if I should be very grateful) for one little ring. My contact there is John Wang if you want to try getting it from Shenhui.

Kev Williams
10-27-2016, 12:30 AM
As a workaround, take the tube to Home Depot and hit the hardware aisle-- first, find a reasonably fat O-ring that fits snug in the hole without bunching up--

Next, go to the 'weird stuff' drawers and locate an internal snap-ring that will fit when compressed, get the thinnest one that will work. Maybe get a few of each...

If you don't have any snap-ring pliers, get a set-

If you're adept with, and have a 1" belt sander, try knife-edging the snap rings a bit- this is so the edges will fit within the threads (but probably not necessary for temp service)

put in the lens, the O-ring, and insert the snap ring as far as you can. Then try to turn in the snap ring with the pliers to snug it up against the O-ring..OR, find a ratchet socket that will just fit down the tube, and use it to push the snap ring down as far as possible.

This temp setup should get you working until you can find a threaded ring...

Bob Crimmins
10-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Bert. Just sent them a note.

try Rabbit Laser USA

Bob Crimmins
10-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Thanks, John. Weird. Seems like an integral component to me.

Bob Crimmins
10-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Very clever solution, Kev. I'll try that until I find a permanent solution. We have a hardware store in Seattle that has an unbelievable selection of the 'weird stuff'. The motto on their sign is "we are the fastenerds." It's heavenly.

Kev Williams
10-27-2016, 11:58 AM
The O-ring/snap ring is how my LS900 lens is held in, so it was their idea! ;)

My holder obviously has a slot for the snap ring, but a little tension against the threads should work okay.

Joseph Shawa
10-27-2016, 3:01 PM
Seem that one might use their laser to cut a plastic disc, Dear Henry

You could heat the tube up a bit to allow the threads to melt in.

Then cut the center out