PDA

View Full Version : Trying to source cheap material to produce stickers

John Rutledge
10-26-2016, 1:21 PM
A lumber distributor asked if I could produce stickers for material handling. So far I can't seem to find a sawmill in east Texas around Houston that will either return email or calls that can help. (the only one to respond offered a price of $700/1000bf which is equivalent to full retail @ Home Depot) I would need approximately 7000bf/mo 6/4 random width for 300/1000 or less to make this feasible. Is this possible or am I on drugs? Any ideas on how to source it are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John

John K Jordan
10-26-2016, 2:47 PM
You forgot to say where you are located, but you might try Woodfinder for other sawmills within a reasonable distance: http://www.woodfinder.com/

$.30/bd ft is more than what I paid for red oak at a large local sawmill. (I used to buy pallet grade at $.15, but it's $.25 when I called today)

When I run my Woodmizer I cut stickers as I go from the trimmings and boards otherwise not too useful. They are extremely quick to cut from 4/4 on the sawmill - stack boards side-by-side and cut 8-10 at once. I use whatever species I happen to be cutting.

JKJ

John Rutledge
10-26-2016, 3:44 PM
John,
Sorry, I'm in east Texas near Houston.
$0.25/bf is encouraging. I've never bought material like this, so are there specific terms that will help me communicate clearly what I'm looking for? Any and all help getting my head wrapped around this is appreciated.

Regards,
John

John K Jordan
10-26-2016, 10:57 PM
John,
...I've never bought material like this, so are there specific terms that will help me communicate clearly what I'm looking for? Any and all help getting my head wrapped around this is appreciated.

I don't know specific terms other than what this particular sawmill calls "pallet grade". Their pallet grade has various defects like splits that would prevent it being useful for things like furniture. I would let them know I wanted low grade lumber for stickers. It might make financial sense to let them cut the boards into a truckload of sticker stock and you cut them to length.

BTW, the sawmill here is a HUGE operation and their prices might reflect efficiency of scale. Also, I was surprised at the relative cost of some species over others. You specified pine but if the client will accept other species you might find some deals.

Also, I usually air dry stickers for a while. Has the client specified moisture content? If they want them kiln dried it might be cheaper to find a sawmill with kiln services on site. Also, I might check kiln operations - maybe someone has a kiln load with drying defects but where the wood is still ok for stickers. I've never had or operated a kiln so I don't know much about it, but I've heard it can happen.

Also, did you post this in the Sawmills and Kiln Drying forum here on SMC? You should get the advantage of more experience there. There are also some other forums focused on logging and sawing where you can ask and/or search old threads. When I got my sawmill I read a lot of these and I remember discussion concerning stickers.

JKJ

lowell holmes
10-27-2016, 1:55 PM
Pray tell, what are stickers?

Never mind, I googled it and saw wooden stickers.

Brian Tymchak
10-27-2016, 3:10 PM
I would need approximately 7000bf/mo 6/4 random width for 300/1000 or less to make this feasible

6/4 seems awfully thick material for stickers. Is that a customer requirement?

Todd Burch
01-05-2017, 5:41 PM
John, did you ever find a source?