PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made Travisher

Eric R. Smith
10-26-2016, 12:43 PM
So it has been almost a year since I set out to build 4 fan back Windsor chairs. I have never built a chair before but with the plethora of information on the net and a mentor that has 8-10 different styles of Windsors under his belt, I finally have reached the stage that i need to start carving my seats. I have had to build many new tools to arrive to where I am in this project( ie: kiln, tapered tenon cutters, tenon cutters,and tapered reamer). So I figured I'd share this travisher I made this week. I used a piece of hard maple log my Uncle in NY gave me 2 years ago. I bought some O1 steel flat stock and some brass flat stock and shaped, hardened and sharpened accordingly. I copied the style of Claire Minihan and Peter Galbert. It cuts well but it could use some improvement. I will be making another with a larger radius to use in the flatter ares of the seat. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for Looking,
Eric Smith

Dan Hulbert
10-26-2016, 1:16 PM
Nice work. One question. The handles/horns seem a little high to me. Does it make the tool more difficult to use? I've not made or used one, but I enjoy making my own tools and this one looks like a potential addition to my collection.

Eric R. Smith
10-26-2016, 1:57 PM
Nice work. One question. The handles/horns seem a little high to me. Does it make the tool more difficult to use? I've not made or used one, but I enjoy making my own tools and this one looks like a potential addition to my collection.
Dan, I thought the same when I first seen the design. You basically pinch the Travisher with both hands on the lower area between your thumbs and pointer fingers. The " handles" act as a rest for the side and palm of your hand, if that make sense.

Prashun Patel
10-26-2016, 3:24 PM
That's a pretty seat and a pretty travisher.

Dan Hulbert
10-27-2016, 8:42 AM
Dan, I thought the same when I first seen the design. You basically pinch the Travisher with both hands on the lower area between your thumbs and pointer fingers. The " handles" act as a rest for the side and palm of your hand, if that make sense.

Eric, I can see how that would work. Thanks

brad jansen
10-29-2016, 9:24 AM
Excellent work. Very nicely made

Eric R. Smith
10-30-2016, 1:28 PM
That's a pretty seat and a pretty travisher.
Thanks for the kind words. The seat is my practice seat and will be used on my new shave horse I'm building.

Richard Wolf
10-30-2016, 1:49 PM
Nice work on the travisher. I've built a number of Windsors and have always wanted one, just never seemed to get one. Would like to see your blade arrangement, it is always the difficult part of tool making.