PDA

View Full Version : How useful is steady rest for bowls?

Clay Fails
10-26-2016, 9:31 AM
Hi all,
I'm starting to turn larger and larger bowls as I gain experience, and am wondering if I could benefit from a steady rest. How many of you use a steady for bowls, and how useful do you find it to be? I'm turning on a Robust AB which I think has a 25 inch capacity.
thanks for your input.

Steve Schlumpf
10-26-2016, 9:54 AM
Chris, I have the AB and only use my steady rest for hollow forms and vases - those turnings that extend away from the headstock. I keep the tailstock in place until just about finished and only remove when it is time to clean up the center when hollowing.

Reed Gray
10-26-2016, 12:22 PM
I learned to turn bowls and platter type forms before I even knew what a steady rest was... On big pieces, 18 or so diameter and bigger. I keep the tailstock on as long as possible when turning the outside. My Beauty with the pivoting tailstock platform makes this simple. I remove it for coring and turning the inside. With proper sized tenon or recess, and light tool pressure it isn't a problem. When turning the rim, I use my fingers on the outside of the bowl to dampen vibrations. Finger pressure = tool pressure, and if your fingers are getting hot, then you are pushing too hard. There are a number of turners who use them, but I never developed the need.

robo hippy

John Keeton
10-26-2016, 12:52 PM
Clay, like Steve, I have a steady for hollowing, but also a OneWay bowl steady that I use with large platters on which I make aggressive cuts or texturing. It works very well for that. I don't turn a lot of bowls, but I have never needed it for that purpose. On the other hand, I don't care for really deep hemi-spherical bowls. They seem out of proportion to me, though I see a lot of them turned.

Justin Stephen
10-26-2016, 3:39 PM
I don't really turn hollow forms bigger that moderately-sized boxes so I have no need for a steady rest. However, like Mr. Keeton, I do own a Oneway bowl steady that I find very useful when turning the rims on larger platters. Usually, when I get up to about 15-16"+, I support the rim with the steady.

Clay Fails
10-26-2016, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep turning and ruminating on this before making a decision........