PDA

View Full Version : The Interrupted Woodworker

Christopher Charles
10-25-2016, 5:16 PM
Hello all,

My woodworking happens in fits and starts between family and work commitments. Lately, I've gotten better about being able to work efficiently despite not having the long stretches of old to 'get in the groove'. Here are a couple:

-have a fully detailed plan. While I prefer to work from rough dimensions and without plans, this only works for me when I can work more-or-less straight through a project.

-mark and label like there's no tomorrow. removes uncertainty about which piece goes with which. Blue tape and sharpies are my friend.

-lay out the next operation at the end of a session. right now, a rail and two legs are on the bench ready for fitting of the tenons to mortises, the 3rd out of a set for two work tables. It will likely sit there until this weekend or early next week.

-don't sweat the 'lack of progress'. I used to be product oriented and now work on being process oriented. In other words, I try to focus on doing each step well and make sure nobody expects the work done this year. Or even next :) Eventually a quality piece will emerge and I won't be (as) stressed on the way.

Other suggestions/tricks/approaches?

Best,
Chris

Phil Stone
10-25-2016, 7:13 PM
I really appreciate you posting this, as it is my reality as well. One thing I notice is that if I go too many days (weeks, sometimes) without doing *any* woodworking, it becomes harder and harder to get back to it. So I've learned to try to do a little something at least every couple of days or so, even if I feel like there is no time. Just "keeping a hand in" makes the project seem alive and progressing.

Your final point (being process oriented) is key, and is why I really enjoy hand tool work.

David Eisenhauer
10-25-2016, 7:31 PM
The "don't sweat the progress......" item would seem to be a biggish one. Concentrating on each "tree" rather than the "forest" for a change seems to be a good thing. When I am in the work/stop/work/stop mode, I do try to use one of my shorter "work" stints to ensure that the set of tools (chisels, planes, saws, etc) required for the next step are fully sharpened and ready to go when I am able to jump back in. Have fun.

Andrew Hughes
10-25-2016, 8:24 PM
That sounds like a good plan to me.Keeping track of your last plan.Plus you will have something to think about when your driving back and forth from work.And you might have a ahha moment.New design detail.
For me I have plenty of time to work in my shop but no wood.Everything in my shop is sharp and ready.I just might go out scouting for pallets soon.:eek: