PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking between 2 TS

Mike Poppell
10-25-2016, 2:14 PM
So I'm new to the forum but want to thank everyone in advance for all the information I have gathered so far.

I am looking to add a new tool to my shop but budget is very limited right now. I need a table saw as my old hitachi finally but the dust. I found the following on Craigslist and I'm having trouble choosing.

I will be using this to make general cuts, face frames, cabinet boxes, etc. Currently I have a good 12" compound miter saw and a dewalt track saw that I use to rip sheet goods. I figured the table saw will just be a quicker way to cut material once it's ripped. I also have a router table that I use to do a lot of finishing as well as some dados, etc

Option 1) Bosch 4100 with optional outfeed and left side table extensions. It also comes with dado insert and zero clearance insert. Hasn't been used much and the stand it comes on is also in great shape. Is this capable of making good clean cuts? Is it powerful enough? $350

Option 2) Ridgid R4512 new in box, never used. Seller is asking $450.

My shop isn't huge but i do have room for the Ridgid if need be. I like the idea of the Bosch being portable cause I do need that a few times a year. In the pst I've just used my track saw

Appreciate any info/help I can get. Thanks!

Andrew Hughes
10-25-2016, 3:11 PM
Easy choice Bosch,I had one and it served me well as a job site saw.
I also had the gravity stand it was easy to set up and put away everyday.

Mike Poppell
10-25-2016, 4:10 PM
I'm thinking with the zero clearance insert and a quality blade it should perform pretty close to the ridgid hybrid saw

Michael Stein
10-25-2016, 4:43 PM
I had that Bosch in my old classroom, when I taught tech ed. Was a great saw, but I wasn't building furniture.

Jim Dwight
10-25-2016, 7:35 PM
I would go with the Bosch. Usually if you can get a contrator saw for about the same as a portable, I would go with the contractor saw. But in this case, the contractor style has an unusually small motor (13A draw) and a known issue with the blade angle changing when you raise or lower the blade. A new casting is rumored to address that but it would likely need changed on this saw adding cost. The Bosch gets great reviews, has a 15A motor, and had cutting capacities that are up-to-par (i.e. over 3 inch rip depth capacity, 24 inches rip, and standard miter slots). With a track saw to cut the bigger boards (I also have a DeWalt and love it) I think you will be well equipped. You might want to check out Ron Paulk's ideas to integrate the table saw with the workbench - for when you use it in the shop mainly.

Mike Poppell
10-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Thanks jim, I will check that out. I think I will go with the Bosch. I know the induction motor that the ridgid has is more quite and has plenty of power but I don't think los No the portability is going to gain me enough in the finish quality

Prashun Patel
10-26-2016, 11:51 AM
IMHO, in order for a table saw to do what it does best (precise, repeatable work) it needs good outfeed, good dust collection, a solid fence, a good sled, etc; basically, it needs things that lend it to being stationary (or on a mobile base) at best.

If your experience is anything like mine, jobsite work for the homeowner is about trimwork and cabinetry or shelving; not furniture. For those things, I suggest a miter saw and track saw are more appropriate and plenty accurate. Keep the table saw in the center of the shop like Jabba the Hut. My 2c.

Mike Poppell
10-26-2016, 9:51 PM
You make a solid point....