PDA

View Full Version : Second Half of Bentwood Lamination Process for Kidney Table

Mike Waddell
10-04-2005, 1:22 PM
Hello again, everyone -

Picking up from after the fifth picture in the first post with the similar title:

(Sixth Picture) After letting the laminations dry up in the form for several days, I removed the entire lamination, cleaned up the edges with a block plane, and used a card scraper and sandpaper to clean up the main surface. The piece didn’t have to remain in the form for that long, but LOML was worried that I would blow a gasket if the second glue-up failed, so she insisted I take a few days away from the project. Smart lady, that LOML.

(Seventh Picture) I was very happy with the final product after I cleaned it up. As you can see in the seventh picture, the laminations are pretty tight.

When I created the drawer opening, I didn’t take any pictures. I’m sorry about that now, as it was the most fun part of this project. To do it, I used a 1/8” spiral downcut bit in a table-mounted router. I created a jig/sled that held the face of the laminated piece down on the table once I had lowered it over the bit and allowed the bit to penetrate the front side of the laminated piece. Once it was lowered, the sled portion of the jig allowed me to slide the piece along the front of the router table fence, ensuring that the routed opening was straight and parallel to the fence and top/bottom of the piece. I routed the top and bottom of the opening first, using stop blocks to keep the two routed lines a consistent length and “even with each other.” Next, I routed the two sides of the opening using the same jig/sled and additional stop blocks with the piece secured at 90* to the fence.

(Eighth Picture) With the drawer front defined during the routing process, it was simply a matter of lining the drawer opening with 1/16” mahogany strips to leave a uniform 1/16” gap around the drawer front once the slides for the drawer were mounted inside the piece. This picture was taken before I mounted the slides, so the drawer front is sitting on the bottom of the opening, but you get the idea.

Sorry this has been such a long post. I hope that it it will be helpful. This was a project with challenges that made it a ton of fun. Please don't hesitation to hit me with any comments, suggestions, or questions that you have.

All the best,

Mike

Don Baer
10-04-2005, 1:28 PM
Mike,
Thanks for sharing. There is a lot of good information here and I am sure that most will find it usefull.

Peter Gavin
10-04-2005, 1:31 PM
I guess my only question is was it necessary to use the good wood for the inner laminations? I have a thing about not wasting exotic/expensive wood when a less expensive wood would do.

Thanks

Peter

Mike Waddell
10-04-2005, 1:37 PM
Peter -

If the sides has been exposed in the end product there would be, but since both the upper and lower sides of the final project are not exposed, you bring up a very good point. I'll remember that the next time I am working on something like this.

Thanks,

Mike

Jack Hogoboom
10-04-2005, 5:45 PM
Mike,

That is an incredible amount of work. Thanks so much for sharing. I'd like to read more about the scarf joints (were they really necessary or could you have just had the laminations end in one place in the back?). Also, it sounds like your drawer jig is worthy of a few pictures of its own.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Mike Waddell
10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi Jack -

Thanks for the comments. The scarf joing is not absolutely necessary, but it does seem to make things easier and allows a large amount of glue surface for the outer layers to adhere well.

When I get a chance to pull the jig out and re-assemble it I'll take a few pictures. I know: no pictures; didn't happen!

Thanks again for the comments,

Mike

John Miliunas
10-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Mike, splendid job on the desk AND this tutorial!:) Even after having seen it, I'm still not sure I'd have the guts to try it but, one never knows. At least now, I have "some" idea of what goes into it. You done yourself proud, Mike! Thanks so much for today's lesson!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
10-05-2005, 8:34 AM
Thanks, Mike. Very instructive!

Brian Triplett
10-05-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm in the process of starting a table with the bent front and this post has been very helpful. :) I was also wondering about a second wood on the interior of the lamination, I considering problems cause by different wood movement, any ideas? Also where did you get the cork?

Thanks again, I wish we ,the creek, had more of these kind of post, but I realize must of us are "part timers" and it takes a while to do a project.

Mike Waddell
10-05-2005, 1:53 PM
John, Jim and Brian -

Thanks for the notes and the supportive words! It is really re-assuring to hear from everyone. I am a part-timer in woodworking also (full time nit-pick and anal-retentive bother) and have had the good fortune to learn a little from a few MOKTI ("MOre Knowledgeable Than I!"), but it is good to hear from people that I respect. Especially after having seen the work that many here do!

Brian, take this with a grain of salt because I am not extremely knowledgable in this area, but I have seen a number of bentwood laminations that consist of layers of differing woods (think "Sam Maloof's rocking chair rockers"). If you are planning on making very tall drawers or other wide pieces with bentwood laminations, you may want to wait and see if others that are more knowledgeable in this area respond, but I would tend to think that with the fact that the laminations are tightly bonded and won't allow large differences in air/moisture exchange, you should be OK. One precaution might be to use the same wood on the first and last lamination to ensure similar moisture exchange on the two most exposed laminations (just thinking out loud on that one).

You may want to email this question to some known experts and get their thoughts.

As for the cork, I picked up a couple of rolls from Home Depot and use it for MANY things. In addition to the form padding, I have lined my bench vises, many clamps, some clamping pads, and various other items to help protect pieces of wood when I am banging them around in the shop.

All the best,

Mike

Don Baer
10-05-2005, 2:04 PM
(think "Sam Maloof's rocking chair rockers").

Mike I believe that Sam Maloof cuts his rockers from a single piece of raw stock on his band saw.

Mike Waddell
10-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi Don -

You are probably right that some are solid, but many I have seen are laminations such as the one seen at:

http://azar.yvod.com/mej/Sam.Maloof.html

Sorry I couldn't quickly find a site that shows more, but you get the idea.

Lee DeRaud
10-07-2005, 1:01 AM
Mike I believe that Sam Maloof cuts his rockers from a single piece of raw stock on his band saw.According to his book, they're laminated. The one on the cover even has a different (contrasting) wood in one of the center laminations.

(Hey, in a couple weeks, we'll see it for ourselves.:D )