PDA

View Full Version : Bench top drill press

Ted Prinz
10-24-2016, 4:13 PM
Anybody got a recommendation on a decent bench top drill press? My current is a Delta dp350. It's a variable speed (Reeves drive :mad:). Served me well but took a dump today and I'm not hopeful. I need something with good quill travel and moderate power.

richard poitras
10-24-2016, 5:37 PM
No recommendations for a bench top unit, but I have a Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press floor model I am going to be selling. It has light uses and is only about 2 years old. I am in Mid Mi. PM me if you are interested

Richard

Van Huskey
10-24-2016, 6:32 PM
I know this may sound crazy but it is based on the fact manufacturers have somewhat forsaken the woodworking drill press and the bench top drill press in particular. The Harbor Freight 13" 16 speed bench top press is actually a pretty decent wood drill press and available with a 20% off coupon just over $200. I know heresy but it is what it is.

That said good used "old iron" benchtop drill presses are usually avaiable fairly easily and would think Lansing would be a good place to look for them.

lowell holmes
10-24-2016, 7:17 PM
I have a 20 year old 12" Delta drill press that's going strong. I've never needed more drill press. It is a solid machine. It is a solid machine.

Look at the post, does it look like tail pipe or steel pipe. Is the base solid or is it flimsy.

Brian W Smith
10-24-2016, 7:28 PM
You can take a floor model,and slide the head and table down....make it as short as you need.Wouldn't do it on anything vintage but,cut the column off.

lowell holmes
10-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Automotive tail pipes make good drill press columns if you need a replacement.

Dave Cav
10-25-2016, 1:39 AM
Too bad about the Delta; repairing a Reeves drive can be a pain.

If you ignore the plastic dodads (chuck guard, safety switch, etc), this Grizzly:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Drill-Press/G7943?utm_campaign=zPage
is a generic import design that's been imported in vast numbers over the last 30 years or so. It's probably similar to the HF model Van references. I got one about 28 years ago, a "Foremost" brand, that has been in almost daily use since I got it. About three years ago I finally got around to putting new bearings in it which quieted it down considerably, and for woodworking, it's been just fine. I just looked on the Seattle CL and there were well over a dozen of various different makes of both bench and floor models. You could get a floor model and cut the column down.

Van Huskey
10-25-2016, 1:48 AM
If you ignore the plastic dodads (chuck guard, safety switch, etc), this Grizzly:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Drill-Press/G7943?utm_campaign=zPage
is a generic import design that's been imported in vast numbers over the last 30 years or so. It's probably similar to the HF model Van references. I got one about 28 years ago, a "Foremost" brand, that has been in almost daily use since I got it. About three years ago I finally got around to putting new bearings in it which quieted it down considerably, and for woodworking, it's been just fine.

In all likelyhood the Grizzly is a better DP than the HF one I mentioned, the HF one is just $225 with a coupon so it is in a different price strata. The HF one is considered one of their "gems" and the only reason I mentioned it.

Mike Cutler
10-25-2016, 5:21 AM
Hmmm,,,,,
I've been looking to replace my Delta Bench top for awhile now, and I like the lower RPM spec's of that Griz', and HF model. Like Lowell, I've probably had mine for 20 years, or so also, but it doesn't have a low enough RPM for me.
HF is on the way home from work, so I may have to get a look at that unit.
Thanks guys.

Van Huskey
10-25-2016, 6:32 AM
Hmmm,,,,,
I've been looking to replace my Delta Bench top for awhile now, and I like the lower RPM spec's of that Griz', and HF model. Like Lowell, I've probably had mine for 20 years, or so also, but it doesn't have a low enough RPM for me.
HF is on the way home from work, so I may have to get a look at that unit.
Thanks guys.

Just looking at the specs the Grizzly has a lower speed (useful for large forstner bits) another inch of swing and weighs about 25% more so it is likely a better DP but with freight it about $200 more than the HF. Of note what appears to be the same 13" DP head (from what I have seen in the store) is avaiable at HF in the floor stander for $10 less. I've walked past the Grizzly DP more than a dozen times in the showroom but never given it more than a glance.

Not knowing whether you have a good or "cheap" Delta benchtop I will say if you have a good vintage one (I don;t know if it was new or new to you 20 years ago) if it is otherwise a good/great DP you could always pick up a 3 phase motor cheap and add a VFD. It might run you a couple of hundred as well but you could end up with a better DP, if it was a cheapie at the time it might be throwing good money after bad.

Robert Parent
10-25-2016, 7:38 AM
A friend just bought one of these and it is a very nice drill press:

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-in-16-speed-drill-press-61483.html

They sell the same press in a benchtop model. However, the current price is $10 more, go figure.

Robert

James Biddle
10-25-2016, 9:57 AM
Here's an article reviewing various bench top drill presses. http://content.wiltontool.com/reviews/354165_fww_0707.pdf
I've got a barely used Jet bench top for sale and am not that far from you.

Mac McQuinn
10-25-2016, 1:21 PM
Here's an article reviewing various bench top drill presses. http://content.wiltontool.com/reviews/354165_fww_0707.pdf
I've got a barely used Jet bench top for sale and am not that far from you.

Is your Jet DP the same one shown in the review you provided?
Mac

pat warner
10-25-2016, 1:30 PM
Bench top DP wipes out an area on the bench, (for working).
Floor space, always a premium, but the stands on these cheap presses are <12 x 20. Not a lot of wasted space, and a lot more choices with a free standing press.

rudy de haas
10-25-2016, 1:49 PM
Some time ago I needed a drill press right then -"no shriving time allowed." I got a "benchtop" unit by King Industrial (http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=35&ID=110 ) (on sale, and in stock!) which has turned out well except for one thing: the handle for setting the stop is plastic, and it broke the first time I put any force on it. On the plus side: low cost, but broadly comparable to the grizzly. On the neg: really not a benchtop: 120 pounds, 42" high.

Mac McQuinn
10-25-2016, 4:49 PM
Bench top DP wipes out an area on the bench, (for working).
Floor space, always a premium, but the stands on these cheap presses are <12 x 20. Not a lot of wasted space, and a lot more choices with a free standing press.

Granted you're right although I mounted my Bench DP on a Hirsch Tool stand next to my bench which has a couple shelves under the stand. I keep blocks of 2x wood under there. Also the bottom shelf is for c-clamps and locking hold downs.
Mac

Geoff Crimmins
10-25-2016, 9:17 PM
It's not as common as the floor-standing version, but I have a Powermatic 1150 VS benchtop bandsaw and couldn't be happier. There're longer manufactured so you'd have to find a used one. I think Clausing made something similar as well.

--Geoff Crimmins

Jared Sankovich
10-25-2016, 9:51 PM
Just looking at the specs the Grizzly has a lower speed (useful for large forstner bits) another inch of swing and weighs about 25% more so it is likely a better DP but with freight it about $200 more than the HF. Of note what appears to be the same 13" DP head (from what I have seen in the store) is avaiable at HF in the floor stander for $10 less. I've walked past the Grizzly DP more than a dozen times in the showroom but never given it more than a glance.

Not knowing whether you have a good or "cheap" Delta benchtop I will say if you have a good vintage one (I don;t know if it was new or new to you 20 years ago) if it is otherwise a good/great DP you could always pick up a 3 phase motor cheap and add a VFD. It might run you a couple of hundred as well but you could end up with a better DP, if it was a cheapie at the time it might be throwing good money after bad.

I just picked up the hf version of the grizzly last weekend. It's more $ at hf (until you use the 20% coupon) so far it seems decent.

http://m.harborfreight.com/17-in-16-speed-drill-press-61487.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/jar944/rps20161025_214858_551_zpspgbiomey.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jar944/media/rps20161025_214858_551_zpspgbiomey.jpg.html)

Mike Cutler
10-25-2016, 11:02 PM

Van
I have a cheap one. I think it's a 10" and it either came from a Home Depot, or wood working store that went out of business. The Incra Drill press table I put on it many years ago cost more than the drill press.
It's slowest speed is way too fast, and I've been meaning to get a different one for quite awhile, but the little beast actually works well. If I replace it I'll probably move it from the shop to the cellar, for use on small home stuff.
Past few years I've been doing more metal work than wood work, and it's just too fast. I had thought about a benchtop milling machine, but I don't quite have that need....Yet. I actually took the belt off a few weeks back and powered it with my right angle Milwaukee to get the speed down. It's time. ;)

Van Huskey
10-25-2016, 11:44 PM
Van
I have a cheap one. I think it's a 10" and it either came from a Home Depot, ;)

Yeah, that one is not worth super charging. If you are drilling much metal you may want to invest a little more, you can get away with a lot drilling wood but metal benefits from a high tolerance machine.

Jim Finn
10-26-2016, 7:23 AM
I have a G7943 from Grizzly. It is currently about $340. I bought mine in 2007 and it has served me well. I choose this one because it has a very low , low speed that is adjusted by moving belt on pulley. Plenty of power with the 3/4 Horse induction motor. If I had to replace it I would get the floor model instead of this bench top. I now realize that a floor model takes up the same floor space as a floor model and has longer drill capacity.

Brian W Smith
10-26-2016, 1:56 PM
On any floor model;

Take an economy lower mechanic tool cabinet (c-man,for example),and put spacers between issued casters/bttm of cab...whatever it takes so that the cab clears the foot plate of floor model DP.You really are picking up stowage.And even better,is fabbing up a wood drawer unit that is precisely the aforementioned footprint.It's a rarity that you need the vert space,so not having castors' on the latter isn't that bad.

Ted Diehl
10-26-2016, 3:12 PM
Well, I have the 10" Harbor Freight Benchtop drill press and it works well. Everything I have needed a drill press for the drill press has done the job. I'm sure there are better benchtop DP's out there but dollar for dollar this thing has met my expectations.

James Biddle
10-26-2016, 6:40 PM
Is your Jet DP the same one shown in the review you provided?
Mac

yep, same one

peter Joseph
10-26-2016, 8:13 PM
Id be sure to check out used offerings in your area as well. Like with most machinery, your money is surely to go further on the used market.

Eric Commarato
10-27-2016, 12:41 PM

I have 4 drill presses this is my favorite. If you can find one of these, the are the smoothest running drill press going...

Myk Rian
10-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Too bad about the Delta; repairing a Reeves drive can be a pain.
I had a DP350. I used a wire tie to keep the split pin in the reeves drive. Worked for years, but I finally got rid of the press.

Dave Cav
10-27-2016, 7:48 PM
I like a bench mounted drill press for woodworking because it gives me a place to put all the stuff that goes with it. I built a cabinet with two upper drawers and two lower cabinet doors from plans long ago in Woodsmith. It was pre-Internet so I can't find any pictures of the plans, but the point is having drawers and cabinet doors for racks for drill bits, Forstners, spade bits, sanding drums, etc, is handy...if you have the floor space.

Van Huskey
10-27-2016, 7:54 PM
I like a bench mounted drill press for woodworking because it gives me a place to put all the stuff that goes with it. I built a cabinet with two upper drawers and two lower cabinet doors from plans long ago in Woodsmith. It was pre-Internet so I can't find any pictures of the plans, but the point is having drawers and cabinet doors for racks for drill bits, Forstners, spade bits, sanding drums, etc, is handy...if you have the floor space.

Don't discount the fact you can build a rolling cart that fits under a floor mounted DP and move it out if you ever need the taller workspace.

Mike Delyster
10-27-2016, 9:55 PM

I agree lots of space to store stuff. Mine has four drawers, I made it so you lift the cabinet with a pallet jack.

Ted Prinz
11-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Hey gang. Thanks for all the input and offers! However, I put my crying towel away and tore the thing apart. Surprise, the drive pulleys were okay (will wonders never cease?). After playing with it for a couple days it turns out the fix was simple: one of the pulley halves rides on a bushing. They are "fastened" together by a pin (not shown in the exploded diagram) which has somehow worked its way into the missing category. The pin is replaced and the unit is back in business. Thanks again for the input.

Myk Rian
11-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Go back and read post #27.

Ted Prinz
11-03-2016, 2:29 PM
Didn't realize that was what you were referring to. Duh. I can be a bit thick headed at times. Actually, I did a bit more research and it appears the rolled steel pin is actually an addition Delta made in later models. Don't know what they did earlier. Thanks for the input.