PDA

View Full Version : Noden Adjust-a-bench size and wheels

mark mcfarlane
10-24-2016, 5:55 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Noden adjust-a-bench. http://www.adjustabench.com/prices_cb.asp

Which size did you get?
How are you using it?
Wish you went bigger or smaller?
Did you get the caster package, and
Are you knocking your ankles on the casters like Jim B. was, or is Jim a klutz?

I like the caster concept, other than the trip problem some have expressed, which may in part have to do with the width of the bench, the width of the caster package,... I'll probably be moving the bench around daily the first 6 months, but could lift an end and put it on a 4 wheel furniture dolly.

This will be my only bench / assembly table for at east 9 months along with an existing MFT/3. I'll be using it in the garage while the shop gets built, to build garage storage and then start on shop cabinets.

I'm not sure what it will evolve into, but for now I need a surface to cut sheet goods on with a track saw and do some assembly,... which means height flexibility and mobility. Yes, there are cheaper solutions but I am going to give the Noden a try.

I'm leaning toward the 72"*30" full package (top, rails, casters) but without the vises. I'm guessing the top is too thick for my Festool MFT clamps...

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Jim Becker
10-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Are you knocking your ankles on the casters like Jim B. was, or is Jim a klutz?

ROFLOL!!!

Seriously, the caster system that came with mine was very nice quality, but stuck out quite a ways at the corners. I just plain found that inconvenient as I moved around a workpiece or multiple workpieces on the bench. That combined with the fact that I found I wasn't actually moving the bench made it simpler to just put nice "feet" on the setup and be done with it. In the very rare case I do shift position, I just slide it on the floor and then re-shim for level. (My shop floor has a "garage slope" unfortunately)

That all said, for your stated situation with using it in temporary space for awhile, the caster system really makes sense so I'd buy it for that reason alone, even if you decide to abandon it later when the new shop is in place. The Noden bench is really, really nicely made and despite the adjustability, is rock solid for me, including when I pull out the hand-planes.

For the size, mine is 30" wide and 60" long, I believe. The 30" is for sure actual and I'm guessing at the length. I bought my vice separately from Lee Valley if I'm recalling clearly. There are times when I wish it was longer, so if you have the space for the 72" top, that extra foot can come in handy.

mark mcfarlane
10-25-2016, 6:42 AM
FWIW, it looks about $280 cheaper to buy the legs, casters, and rails from Noden and the top from Grizzly. I wonder if the tops are identical,... Going with Grizzly I could move up to a 2.25" top for $250 more, or 36" width for $53 more, but then after adding a thick edge and a couple vises this beast may not raise and lower very easily,

price
ship
Total

leg set

60-72” rails & rods

Caster package 17,22,28.40)

Grizzly 72*30*1 3/4

Total

Noden Kit Legs, Rails and Threaded Rods, 72" x 30" x 1 3/4" , 28" Casters

Jim Becker
10-25-2016, 10:46 AM
The top I got from Geoff is pretty thick (not sure of the actual measurment...I haven't been unhappy with it in any respect and it's darn solid. (Other than when I goofed up measuring for the dog holes and had to fill many and re-drill...but that's my problem, not the tops!)

When you are adjusting height, you're doing it at one end at a time, although moving beyond about two stops does require you do it in steps. The point of that is you'll be lifting half the weight at one time.

mark mcfarlane
10-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Geoff's stock tops are all 1.75". Grizzly sells a similarly spec'd top, that from the pictures looks the same,... and offers 1.75 and 2.25 versions in wider variety of sizes (up to 10' * 3'). http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categoryid:360100)

I'm thinking maybe a 72"*36"* 2.25" top and ordering the 40" caster set, but I'll probably have to cut the casters legs shorter and redrill the caster holes,... hopefully my Carvex is up to the task with a new blade.

Jim Becker
10-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Sounds like a plan!

Sam Blasco
10-25-2016, 4:47 PM
I've got two of Geoff's leg sets with 28" caster spread. My main bench is 32" x 85", my other one sits between my two opposing bandsaws (tweaked to serve as outfeed for both) and that one is 30" wide. I made both tops and I have never really found that the casters bump my toes. Of course, my benches are pretty set. I never move them and have the casters turned in. Very happy with the system for many many years now.

Jim Becker
10-25-2016, 8:37 PM
Sam!!! Good to see you posting today!!!

I didn't realize you had two of Geoff's setups in your amazing shop. (Mark, you should take a field trip across the state and visit Sam once you're settled...totally worth it if scheduling allows)

mark mcfarlane
10-25-2016, 11:57 PM
There's a pic of Sam's beautiful live edge bench (https://www.facebook.com/158819717483051/photos/a.669668973064787.1073741825.158819717483051/669684716396546/?type=3&theater) on Geoff's website.

Sam, I read your article on your bench top build a few months ago. Not something I want to spend the time on right now, I am just bootstrapping a shop, starting with this bench.

I talked to Geoff on the phone last night for about a half hour. Fun guy. He said he would cut some custom width caster rails and custom length rails for a small fee, but I'm thinking I might build the rails myself out of scrap for now (maybe dimensional lumber or laminated ply) since eventually I'll probably have some drawers in the base. Anyone know what diameter threaded rod is on the base? Lowes seems to stock 120" * 0.375" rod at my local store.

Geoff also suggested that probably everyone in NA gets their maple tops from the same builder.

I just need to decide on length and width and pull the trigger. This may end up as workbench, it may end up an assembly table, or maybe I'll buy a second one, it's hard to say at this time.

If I go 30" wide and eventually wrap with an apron after my new shop is running (~6 months) I'll end up with ~36 which Geoff thought would be best with a custom 32" caster rail. That means I'll have the casters sticking out 2" for about 6 months until my new shop is built. Maybe I'll buy a 36" top and rip a little off when/if I build the apron.

I'm thinking 6' * 3' * 1.75" for the Grizzly top (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Solid-Maple-Workbench-Top-72-Wide-x-36-Deep-x-1-3-4-Thick/G9919?utm_campaign=zPage) then I can rip a little off with my tracksaw when I 'apron' it. I hope I don't regret not going for 2.25" thick, but after adding aprons and vises this thing is going to get heavy.

richard poitras
10-26-2016, 6:20 AM
Mark, I have a Noden Adjust-a-banch with the 28'' wide leg kit. My top is 34 1/2'' wide and 73'' long and have never found the leg kit to be a problem with hitting them with my feet. I love the bench and would buy again. Not sure how high your apron is going to be but remember to not make it to large for clamping things to the edge of the bench.

Jim Becker
10-26-2016, 9:32 AM
Mark, if you get up this way, you should also visit Geoff in his shop. Not only is his bench design great (among other inventions), but he's a highly skilled maker and does incredible work in wood.

mark mcfarlane
10-26-2016, 2:13 PM
Anyone with the single rail design care to chime in about stability? I'm currently mostly a power tool guy, and the idea of scooting a bar chair under the bench for drawing and other work (lunch) is attractive. From what I read in searches the single rail design is pretty stable. Considering I'm coming from a wobbly MFT, anything would be better.

Sam Blasco
10-26-2016, 5:26 PM
Cool. Threaded rod I used was 3/8". I think the 28" caster rail is plenty. My bench is rock solid. It wouldn't matter if the top was another 4" wide or so. Getting a 36" top makes sense, too. Won't cost much more and you'll be able to use the left over at some point.
s

richard poitras
10-26-2016, 8:31 PM
Geoff also suggested that probably everyone in NA gets their maple tops from the same builder.

I made my own top out of maple and black walnut at 2-1/4'' thick

Jim Becker
10-26-2016, 8:33 PM
Mine has the double rail which I topped with a piece of MDF for a shelf which is convenient to hold certain things close at hand.

richard poitras
10-26-2016, 8:56 PM
Jim, Mine also has the double rail. and I also built a removable self on the rail and a removable shelf for the bottom.

Mark Its nice to have an area to place tools and such. Being removable you can just lift the shelf out when needed or just keep in place.

mark mcfarlane
10-27-2016, 12:12 AM
Thanks everyone. The shelfs look/sound useful, but I was thinking I'd build a cart with a couple shelfs on wheels to hold 'stuff' near the workbench. Maybe systainers underneath. It will make cleanup easier at the end of a project, just roll the cart around to various places where the 'stuff' gets stored. Plus, there will be a stationary workbench on a wall 4' behind the bench.

It's hard to say what will be ideal until I actually build the shop and run some projects.

Any single stretcher folks out there? I'm about 12 hours away from making the order (and 5 days from retirement!).

mark mcfarlane
10-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. I just ordered a single rail kit with 28" casters. I'm planning to order a 36" top from Grizzly since Geoff doesn't stock them (he was willing to get one for me). Hopefully it will show up in one piece, there is a lot of chatter on Amazon about damage to the Grizzly tops during shipping.

Anyway, I'll report back in a couple weeks with a picture. Worse case scenario is I dump the one rail brace some day and put in a second rail and I'm out $150, or eBay it. I have a sneaky suspicion I'm going to end up with two of these, so the one-rail brace version could end up on an assembly table if I end up doing a lot of hand planing on the main bench.

Again, thanks for your consultation.

richard poitras
10-27-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm about 12 hours away from making the order (and 5 days from retirement!).

:cool: I guess you cant go wrong with either one of those...

Jim Becker
10-27-2016, 3:30 PM
I'm about 12 hours away from making the order (and 5 days from retirement!).

"Jealous I am!!" (About that last part for sure...)

mark mcfarlane
11-16-2016, 10:36 AM

Just a concluding follow-up.

The new Adjust-A-Bench is assembled and in use. I believe it is going to be stable enough with the single rail brace package for my non-neanderthal use.

When the wheels are extended down and locked it is a little wobbly, definitely too much so for hand planing, but probably fine for my needs. When the wheels are retracted - which is currently a PITA process with a simple wrench (my socket wrench set is stuck in customs), the table is much more stable. Geoff warned me I may prefer the dual rail version which was cheaper, but I risked the one-rail version. Worst case is I add a second rail some day.

The bench wheels around very easily, and is much easier to raise and lower than I expected.

I have not bumped my ankles yet using the 28" caster package and a 36" top. Moving around the bench, and lifting each corner and rotating that wheel under the caster rail seems to give me plenty of clearance. Time will tell.

The bench looks so nice I think my wife wants one for the kitchen. I can see it being used for holiday meals if we have overflow.

The one-rail L brackets received minor shipping damage. Geoff was more than happy to send new ones but I used some clamps to straighten them out to 'good enough'.

FWIW, The Grizzly 36*72*1.75 top arrived in perfect condition (I paid an extra ~ $70 for lift gate delivery). The top was well wrapped, top and bottom protected by hardboard, and amazingly it came on its own pallet. The driver rolled it into my garage along with a new Grizzly benchtop drill press.

Anyway, I'm yet another happy Adjust-A-Bench owner. The fit, finish, stability, and functionality exceeded my expectations.

Jim Becker
11-16-2016, 1:10 PM
See...I have a 30" top which likely contributed to my "ankle banging" issue with the caster set. LOL

As to your wife's desires, Geoff will cheerfully powder coat a setup for you in whatever color you want...or at least he used to be willing to do that. My friend Robert got his in Orange. :)