PDA

View Full Version : Some nice Aussie wood.

Richard Casey
10-23-2016, 4:36 AM
My sawmiller mate gave me a stick of Red New Guinea Wattle to make these for his dad. As the timber was a bit undersized they may look a bit unbalanced but that is one of the limitations of using Crushgrind® mechanisms with the thicker neck. I use black and white plastic spacers to identify the salt and pepper.
Rgds,
Richard.

Frederick Skelly
10-23-2016, 7:22 AM
I love the wood and the finish looks great! The shape looks fine to my eye Richard - they look just like salt and pepper shakers! :D

Is the wood naturally that color or did you add the color?

Fred

Richard Casey
10-23-2016, 7:42 AM
Hi Fred, that is the natural colour. Its a nice honey tone and the finish is 90% gloss precatalysed lacquer, 2 coats applied with an air brush, photo taken under fluorescent lights.
Rgds,
Richard.

Robert Willing
10-23-2016, 9:09 AM
Richard

I really like those mills especially the shape and spacers. Great wood also!

John K Jordan
10-23-2016, 3:20 PM
My sawmiller mate gave me a stick of Red New Guinea Wattle to make these for his dad. As the timber was a bit undersized they may look a bit unbalanced but that is one of the limitations of using Crushgrind® mechanisms with the thicker neck. I use black and white plastic spacers to identify the salt and pepper.
Rgds,
Richard.

I love the idea of the colored spacer! I might try this, or a slice of wood (or even a insert or knob at the top) the next time I make a set. So far, I've used dark and light woods - the set we use I made from cocobolo and dogwood.

Have you turned Flowering Dogwood? If it doesn't grow down under I need to send you some pieces!

JKJ

Pat Scott
10-24-2016, 9:49 AM
Very nice. Where do you get the spacers?

Richard Casey
10-25-2016, 7:07 AM
I love the idea of the colored spacer! I might try this, or a slice of wood (or even a insert or knob at the top) the next time I make a set. So far, I've used dark and light woods - the set we use I made from cocobolo and dogwood.

Have you turned Flowering Dogwood? If it doesn't grow down under I need to send you some pieces!

JKJ
John, you sent me a picture of those stunning grinders, but please save me a piece of that Dogwood, I still hope to visit your farm.

Very nice. Where do you get the spacers?
Pat, I make them. I buy HDPE sheet offcuts from the local tank manufacturer, cut it into squares slightly bigger than the required diameter. As I use a set of TC tipped Forstner bits specially sized for Crushgrind® mechs, I use the bit for the top of the base to drill a hole in the plastic square, this then makes it fit the spiggot on the top piece. I then use a shop made male and female mandrel to hold the drilled out square plastic disc, and then turn it to the correct size.
If that does not make sense, ask and I will do some photos.
Rgds,
Richard.