PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Veneering Question

Guy Germaine
10-04-2005, 9:31 AM
I am about to embark on my first project using veneer. I have some very nice walnut burl ordered, and I already have some plain walnut veneer for the "back" side of the panel. What I want to do is bookmatch it, but since it's commercail veneer, it is VERY thin (1/42") I think, how do I hold the two pieces together to glue it up? Do I try to edge glue the 2 pieces of veneer together into one sheet and then glue it to thee substrate, or do I glue the 2 individual pieces to the substrate? Hope this makes sense. I was wondering if I could use blue painter's tape to hold the 2 pieces together while I'm gluing them down.

Earl Kelly
10-04-2005, 9:55 AM
Guy, you need veneer tape, it's a very thin lightweight but strong tape. First cut your pieces to approx size and cut joining edges, then butt and tape across seam and I usually go down the seam also. Use a urea resin glue so you'll have no cold creep or seams opening up. Darryl at vacupress.com has a video that others have said is helpful. I think Taunton published a book or mag about veneering also.

Keith Christopher
10-04-2005, 9:55 AM
I am about to embark on my first project using veneer. I have some very nice walnut burl ordered, and I already have some plain walnut veneer for the "back" side of the panel. What I want to do is bookmatch it, but since it's commercail veneer, it is VERY thin (1/42") I think, how do I hold the two pieces together to glue it up? Do I try to edge glue the 2 pieces of veneer together into one sheet and then glue it to thee substrate, or do I glue the 2 individual pieces to the substrate? Hope this makes sense. I was wondering if I could use blue painter's tape to hold the 2 pieces together while I'm gluing them down.

Ahh what a worrysome road you've ventured down !!! heheh but so much fun and so so many possibilities. When edgegluing these thin veneers you have several options.

1) Overlap the veneer, then (supporting them with a caul of sometype placed like a straight edge. Use a SHARP veneer saw or razor knife and slice through both layers. Then put glue on the edges, and use veneer tape down the seam(s) on the face side. then burnish the seam. you can use blue tape to help hold and apply pressure across the seam but I do not recommend it running the length of the seam. never worked well for me.

2) sandwich the veneers between to pieces of stock and flush trim the edges. Excellent clamping pressure and taking your time is important here. You want to avoid tearing up the pieces so clamping them securely is paramount.

One thing I've found as excellent for cutting these thin veneers is the little rotary cutter sold at most fabric stores. You have to be careful though, in certain woods it will like to follow the grain. No real big deal easy to clean up afterwards.

Keith

Mike Waddell
10-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi Guy -

Earl is onto the method that I was recently taught; that is to use veneer tape. The great thing about the tape is that you adhere it to one side of the joint and then STRRREEEETCH it across to the other. The force of the tape attempting to contract back to its original state provides you with enough pressure to keep the joints together until the glue dries.

Make sure you lay the veneers flat and use cawls to hold it flat while it dries.

Good luck!

Mike

Guy Germaine
10-04-2005, 1:12 PM
Thanks Guys! All great advice. LOML and I are headed over to Rockler Thursday evening to get some veneer tape and possibly some glue. I always take her with me just in case we see something that I "really could use". She usually says "go ahead and get it since we're already here!";)