PDA

View Full Version : Shimming Grizzly G0513X2F Band Saw Table?

Greg Parrish
10-20-2016, 3:40 PM
I need to shim my band saw table just slightly to get it 90 degrees to the back of the blade. I've tried every washer I can find in my bucket of misc washers and I can't find one thin enough or the right size to get it shimmed correctly. Anyone have any tips or tricks on how you shimmed yours? Any ideas on something metal and super thin that could be used for shims? I thought about even layering tin foil but I'm not sure it would hold long term. My shims right now are about a penny thick or less and that over corrects the problem quite a bit. With no shim I have a few degrees of difference between blade/table. Thanks.

Cary Falk
10-20-2016, 3:55 PM
Go have beer or soda(in an Al can) then cut up the can. I do it all the time

Cody Jensen
10-20-2016, 3:57 PM
They also sell shim stock (McMaster (http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shims/=14okwwj)sells it, among others)

Van Huskey
10-20-2016, 4:12 PM
Cary hit the quick, simple and cheap option. If you need something slightly thinner than an aluminum can you can hammer it out a little thinner. If you deal with older machines at all having a bunch of sizes of brass shim stock handy is a smart idea. Lee Valley sells an assortment that is one of those nice things to have and it isn't very expensive.

mreza Salav
10-20-2016, 4:26 PM
I take regular aluminum foil and fold enough times to get the thickness I want. Works great.

Prashun Patel
10-20-2016, 4:36 PM
Where are you shimming? The stop bolt on my g0514x2 allows the table to go a little over 90. If yours does not can you just trim a little off that bolt?

Greg Parrish
10-20-2016, 5:23 PM
Thanks guys. After I posted this I found some tiny thin brass washers, probably out of a faucet repair kit or something. They didn't fit onto the bolts but they fit between the table and trunnion and allowed me to get it aligned.

What I'm shimming is the table to trunnion fit so that the table sits at the proper 90 degree angle to the rear of the saw blade. I ended up having to use a set of thin normal steel washers on the bolts on the switch side of the trunnion and these little brass washers I found on the motor side of the trunnion. The two together ended up with the right combination to get the table aligned. If the little brass washers don't stay put I'll move on to the tin can method as that would have been perfect but I don't want to mess with it now that I have everything initially aligned. What a pain though to get it aligned to the blade. I'll have to double check when I change the factory blade out for one of my larger blades. :)

Thanks again.

William A Johnston
10-20-2016, 7:45 PM
I've had a similar situation before and I went to Harbor Freight and purchased some feeler gauges. There not expensive and you have a tremendous amount of different thicknesses.