PDA

View Full Version : Jet 6" jointer - question about fence

Brian Tymchak
10-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Howdy,

I've had a Jet 6" deluxe jointer for quite a few years now. In the last year or so, when I run thinner ( <= ~1") stock across the blades, sometimes the block of wood would get stopped just after starting the cut. Like I was running into something. After a bit of investigation, I discovered that the wood was getting hung up on an edge on the fence where the "pad block" (term from the parts list) is installed, just after the cutterhead. See pics.

I guess this pad block has worn down or depressed away from the fence surface at the far edge over time, leaving a lip of the fence exposed and I'm hanging up on that. I can replace that pad block, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what the heck that thing does? I can't figure out any practical use of it being there. Didn't see anything in the manual about it and google has let me down..:(

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

Cody Jensen
10-20-2016, 4:09 PM
I would guess that it is there to keep the fence from dragging across the bed, but the only jointer I have is still in pieces from when I bought it. Can you just take a little bit of it off with sandpaper or a razor blade?

Wayne Lomman
10-21-2016, 6:17 AM
I agree with Cody even though is seems way overkill for such a simple purpose. I have an 8" Jet but it doesn't have this feature. I also would just shave it or sand it to get it back in line. Cheers

lowell holmes
10-21-2016, 1:49 PM
My 6" Jet does not have that feature either, I agree with the previous posts.
There is hollowed out space with nothing in it.
The machine is a very solid machine.

Brian Tymchak
10-21-2016, 2:06 PM
I think Cody has the answer. Looking at it again with that perspective, that pad is acting as a skid plate on the outfeed bed. Don't know why that didn't register with me to begin with. Thanks for the insight Cody!

The issue I have though is that the face of that pad that is supposed to flush with the fence face, is about 1/16" depressed from the face, leaving an edge on the fence exposed, which is catching the edge of the wood block as it passes. I'll take fence off tonight to see what I might be able to do with it.

Thanks for the help guys!