PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraving Ammo Cans

Bob WrightNC
10-20-2016, 9:48 AM
I've seen these on some websites and was wondering if these engraved with the white finish you see so often. Looking at these for some family members and didn't know if someone had any experience with engraving them and some settings. Thanks in advance.

Kev Williams
10-20-2016, 10:52 AM
Depends on the ammo can, and the laser-- real ammo cans are steel, and to get the white you see in the pics requires a fiber laser. A C02 will only remove the paint, the exposed steel will be anything but white. The other issue is rust, although as long as it's not left out in the weather, an occasional wipe down with baby oil or WD40 will keep rust in check.

Bob WrightNC
10-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Wow, that means quite a few people have fibers - had no idea. Thanks Kev!

Kevin B Russell
10-29-2016, 3:38 AM
This is a can purchased at Harbor Freight. They are about $15.00, but they are new and not stenciled like the ones from a surplus store.

Bob WrightNC
10-30-2016, 1:52 PM
And how did you engrave it/achieve the white logo? With a fiber? Or is that just the paint engraved off with a CO2? Thanks.

Mayo Pardo
12-08-2016, 4:37 PM
I got three of the same style ammo cans as shown above but mine were from Walmart, made in China. I've been getting mixed results engraving.
There must be a wide variation in paint thickness and in the quality of the steel.
Some portions engrave down to metal perfectly, and other portions still have a haze of paint.
Some areas of the metal show defects in the bare metal finish color. Buffing out with 0000 steel wool does nothing to make it uniform looking.
After engraving two sides each of three ammo cans, I've decided it's not consistent enough to produce a saleable product.

There's a local Army Surplus store near me that I can try some authentic US Ammo cans, but they are used and not in the best shape for gifts.
And they're much more costly considering they're used. But my hope is they will have a more uniform coating of paint and the metal will be more consistent looking.

John Lifer
12-08-2016, 6:33 PM
If you guys want to buy a quantity, go to a gunshow. I found some at the Tulsa show a few weeks back at $7.50 each. 50cal used, that had just a bit of scrubbing here and there. original info on one side and plain on other.
I'm going to try and engrave on them at some point. Don't know how well my laser will do.

Tim Bateson
12-09-2016, 10:06 AM
If you guys want to buy a quantity, go to a gunshow....

This is the only thing I have found to be a bargain at Gun Shows, everything else has jacked up prices. I like Gun Shows, but find & compare, then go to your local dealer for a better price.

John Lifer
12-09-2016, 10:58 AM
This is the only thing I have found to be a bargain at Gun Shows, everything else has jacked up prices. I like Gun Shows, but find & compare, then go to your local dealer for a better price.

l am an hour and a half from Tulsa, go to the 'largest' gunshow in the country supposedly. It is huge and yeah, not much a bargain. I didn't have much to spend, I did get a few parts. Would have bought a dozen of the boxes, but just couldn't afford this year. Most guns were at or above my lgs, and with cost of transfer back to Arkansas, I never think about buying handgun over there. All my smaller local shows are way too expensive.