PDA

View Full Version : Vector Glass??

Roger Lueck
10-19-2016, 11:47 AM
While looking through several threads regarding engraving ceramic tile, I found a thread from July 2009 that briefly mentioned a product that was referred to as "Vector Glass". Apparently this product was being sold by the same company that sells "Laser Tile", however, when I checked their website I found nothing about "Vector Glass".

What happened to "Vector Glass", is it still being sold or is it no longer available?

Scott Marquez
10-19-2016, 12:35 PM
What benefits are you looking for, that you wouldn't get from ordinary glass?
Scott

Michael Hunter
10-22-2016, 2:25 PM
I have vectored ordinary glass (by accident - hadn't noticed that there were hairlines in the customer's artwork).

It did work, but I threw away the glass IMMEDIATELY! Who knows what stresses the heat would have induced - I was worried that the glass might explode and send bits everywhere.

Kev Williams
10-22-2016, 2:46 PM
I don't think a C02 laser can induce heat-stress that would cause problems after lasering. WHILE lasering, yeah, been there done that! :) I engraved some minature glass stair treads right after I got the Triumph, they were like 3" x 1.5" x an inch thick. Normal lasering looked okay but was hard to see because of the inconsistency of the glass (home-done in molds).. So I cranked up the power and found that 80 watts can melt glass on the fly- That engraving really popped!

So of course I experimented on some mirror tile, and an goblet-- The mirror just kept popping and breaking the more I kept going. The goblet I did just flat (no rotary) but before I got thru with one line it cracked, and kind of imploded. Neither of them EXpoded at all, they both just simply broke...

Michael Hunter
10-23-2016, 12:45 PM
Well, it was just paranoia, but having seen glass explode from heat stress, I wasn't going to take any chances!

Martin Boekers
10-23-2016, 1:25 PM
I have vectored leaded glass before, just enough to score it for a teacher at our center, for more intricate or round cuts. She then broke it along the score lines.

Lee DeRaud
10-23-2016, 1:45 PM
What benefits are you looking for, that you wouldn't get from ordinary glass?It's like working with mirror: glass tiles with a coating on the back that you raster off and (optionally) back-fill with paint or whatever. I bought one of their sample packs years ago and was seriously underwhelmed by the effect, especially given the prices they wanted for the stuff.

Lee DeRaud
10-23-2016, 1:49 PM
What happened to "Vector Glass", is it still being sold or is it no longer available?Still available, somewhat to my surprise: http://lasertile.com/laser-glass/
[EDIT]Or not. That page still exists on their website, but it's a dead-end, no way that I can find to actually buy the stuff. You might try calling them, but as I recall, this company has rather chaotic inventory practices.

Roger Lueck
10-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input/feedback.