PDA

View Full Version : Maloof rocker spindle

bob cohen
10-19-2016, 10:35 AM
I am making my first Maloof-like rocker using Charles Brock's plans. The back spindles are a bit tricky, because it is tough to hold them securely for shaping. So I came up with this jig that allows me to position the spindle top-side up, down, or on its side, with lots of clearance for shaping by grinder, spokeshave or card scraper. The jig holds the work securely with good access for shaping tools. I can shape a spindle completely in less than an hour with this jig. Most importantly I can use long strokes, which promotes a smooth, natural final shape and finish. The jigs consists of two pieces of scrap. I simply drill a 3/8 inch hole into one piece of scrap that also contains a notch for a holdfast and an 1/2 inch hole into the second piece of scrap that I secure in the face vice. To accommodate changes in the orientation of the spindle ends when rotated to different positions, I drilled three different 1/2 inch holes in the second scrap such that I have good work clearance in all three spindle orientations. The tenons were made using the veritas tenon cutter (the cone shaped ones with the curved cutting blade).

Frederick Skelly
10-19-2016, 8:29 PM
Thanks for this good idea Bob. I hope to build a Maloof rocker one day and have bookmarked this post.
Fred

Brian Kent
10-19-2016, 9:47 PM
Good idea Bob Rosen. Looks very nice.

Roy Wall
12-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Bob --

Nice post and idea ! It seems high up but actually must be ergonomic to use?

Thanks for the post - I hope to build a rocker this summer.