PDA

View Full Version : Speakin' of fibers- I need to remodel mine...can I?

Kev Williams
10-18-2016, 11:52 PM
Due to the fact these things use fiber optics, and the hand-held versions of these I see all over, I THINK these options are possible, but I'm not at all sure :)

Here's my fiber laser, side view:

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/f1.jpg

Front view:

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/f2.jpg

============

I'm wondering if I can do either
THIS---

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/fix1.jpg

or
THIS?

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/fix2.jpg

=======================

My immediate problem is, I need to engrave a 4" logo in the center of an 18" x 24" part. From the edge of the machine itself to the max Y coordinate I can engrave is 8". The plate centerline is 9"Y, plus half the 3" height of the logo.

Ideally, rotating the head and the whole machine sideways would be great! I could hang a small kitchen cabinet from the ceiling to set the machine in/on... Then, I could engrave virtually anything I could place under the thing! Floor or table space would be the only limitation--

So-- possible?

John Lifer
10-19-2016, 8:55 AM
Caveats - never used one, just read, researched a bit....
It has a cable or more specific, the fiber optic cable running into your current head above a lens. Is there sufficient length of the cable inside to extend? If so, that's what I'd do.
If not, I can't see any reason you couldn't turn on side and rotate the head. Just can't twist and crimp cable. Otherwise no reason. Cable doesn't care about external conditions/rotation. You just have to keep bed aligned square with output lens. Obviously keep any cooling vents unblocked. Go for it!

Scott Marquez
10-19-2016, 10:53 AM
I think it would be a great idea if you could rotate the machine up side down, to save space and not block any vents.
Then you could place it on a shelf above your work table. I'm not a fan of the idea of extending the neck, I'm already worried about how fragile it looks.
enjoy, Scott

Gary Hair
10-19-2016, 11:29 AM
I like Scott's idea to rotate it 180 degrees - virtually unlimited work space would be nice!

Kev Williams
10-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Rotating 180 would save horizontal space, my only issue with that is the head, and particularly the lens, would then protrude below the now-bottom of the unit. Although that wouldn't be a big deal, as it is the head is kinda vulnerable anyway. Wonder if it COULD be rotated that far, guess I may be finding out shortly! 90° would work for me too, would just take a longer shelf. Some rubber snubbers for feet would allow air underneath, and a ventilation fan would be no problem.

Ok, so I know the thing is meant to disassemble to allow access to the electronics, next up is figuring out how that's done and see what I find inside!

--right after all the work I have for it is done... :)

Scott Marquez
10-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Rotating 180 would save horizontal space, my only issue with that is the head, and particularly the lens, would then protrude below the now-bottom of the unit.
How about a longer shelf to to accommodate the total length of the machine, so the lenses and neck don't extend past, then use a hole saw to punch an opening for your lenses to peek through.
Scott

Kev Williams
10-19-2016, 11:57 PM
OK, so I took the galvo head off to see what my options are--

Any guesses what I found? :D (no telling if you already know!)

Scott Marquez
10-20-2016, 1:26 AM

A big red sticker that says Warranty Void if removed, and it was written in Chinese so you only took the time to translate it after you tore it off. It looks like the machine is now your baby, LOL.
I have a feeling you are going to post pictures in a few days of a computer controlled X Y table below your newly modded machine allowing you to precisely engrave large projects.
Scott

Jeff Body
10-20-2016, 12:59 PM

I brave man with a screwdriver in his hand.

Gary Hair
10-20-2016, 1:30 PM

Jimmy Hoffa?

Kev Williams
10-20-2016, 1:43 PM
What I found, in essence, was-- nothing!

I was fully expecting to find the head tethered to a fiber optic cable.
Instead the only tether at all is the 25pin connector and its wires.

The laser itself ends at the front of the machine, as (what appears to be) a sealed orifice.
The beam simply fires from there, thru the mounting spacer directly to the galvo mirrors.

Ergo, I can pretty much do whatever I want-- rotate it to anywhere, add an extension to the mount-
as long as the beam hits the mirrors unobstructed, it's all good!
The only obstacle whatsoever is the connector. As it is, I can only turn the head counter-clockwise 1/4 turn and not run out of wire.
There may be more inside the cabinet that can be fed thru the grommet, but not sure.
But since it's a typical 25pin connector, all I need is an extension cable. :)

Note- if you just loosen the screws holding the head to the cabinet, the head will rotate slightly either way-
This allows you to adjust for level, perpendicular, etc.

346064 346066 346065

Scott Challoner
10-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Interesting. With those extra mounting holes it looks like it's made so you can rotate the head in 45 degree increments. I'm wondering if you can extend the tube or if it's collimated at that specific distance.

Kev Williams
10-21-2016, 11:44 AM
What's not apparent in the pics is, behind the glass at the end of the 'orifice', maybe 1/2" within, is a hole, probably all of .080" diameter, that's a pretty small incident beam! Couldn't say for sure, but I'm thinking that it would take quite a distance for the beam to flare out too much. An extension would likely be fine, and would likely allow me to engrave most anything that may come in here. But, I do have ideas for how to set it for 'unlimited' use :)

David Somers
10-21-2016, 4:11 PM
You guys are cruel. I have absolutely no need for one of these but I would so love to have one to play with! With all my spare time and purchased with all my excess funds of course. (sigh)

Keep the fun ideas coming! Great to watch!!! <grin>

Dave

Bill George
11-01-2016, 8:41 PM
FYI Bodor laser has a portable laser with detachable head, kind of looks like a handheld bat code scanner only much larger. Comes with a stand so you coulx mark like the inside of a aluminum boat for example.