PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly g0555 tension rod issue..help!

Rick Moyer
10-18-2016, 5:53 PM
OK. I decided to hot rod my G0555 and put on Carter guides, new Carter spring and ratchet rod. Well, the ratchet rod apparently doesn't work with the quick release that the G0555 comes with. The ratchet rod has acme threads, the OEM rod has regular threads. Shouldn't be an issue EXCEPT on original there is a threaded spacer (on top of the casting that holds the spring) that also has a set screw which is designed to keep the rod in place, thereby creating compression of the spring when turning the rod.
This spacer won't work on the acme threads of the Carter rod, and there doesn't seem to be a way to actually tension the saw otherwise.

I suspect if I could tap a similar spacer with acme threads and a set screw I would be fine but I don't know how to go about doing this.

Has anyone run in to this problem? Anybody actually put the Carter rod on their G0555?

Carter will call me back tomorrow afternoon, maybe they have a solution, I don't know.

Robert Carey
04-12-2017, 2:15 PM
Sorry - I know this is an old thread, but did you resolve this? I have the same gear and saw and was hoping to get the quick release back in action. I can detension reasonably quick with the ratchet, but the quick release is much better if I can make it happen.

Thanks

OK. I decided to hot rod my G0555 and put on Carter guides, new Carter spring and ratchet rod. Well, the ratchet rod apparently doesn't work with the quick release that the G0555 comes with. The ratchet rod has acme threads, the OEM rod has regular threads. Shouldn't be an issue EXCEPT on original there is a threaded spacer (on top of the casting that holds the spring) that also has a set screw which is designed to keep the rod in place, thereby creating compression of the spring when turning the rod.
This spacer won't work on the acme threads of the Carter rod, and there doesn't seem to be a way to actually tension the saw otherwise.

I suspect if I could tap a similar spacer with acme threads and a set screw I would be fine but I don't know how to go about doing this.

Has anyone run in to this problem? Anybody actually put the Carter rod on their G0555?

Carter will call me back tomorrow afternoon, maybe they have a solution, I don't know.

Rick Moyer
04-12-2017, 3:46 PM
Sorry Robert, I just eliminated the quick release. I also now rarely detension (varying opinions on that).

Earl McLain
04-12-2017, 9:24 PM
I don't have the saw, and it's tough to tell for sure from the parts diagrams...but if you're looking at part 131-A or 131-B, you might have a look at McMaster-Carr (McMaster.com), search for locking collar. More specifically, Acme right hand threaded collar. Don't know if they have what you need (or if you'll make the conversion once you see the price of the collar), but might be what you're looking for.
earl