PDA

View Full Version : World Series....Who's Your Team?

Rich Riddle
10-18-2016, 4:05 AM
Who is your favorite team of those remaining to win the world series? It looks like Rod's in trouble.

George Bokros
10-18-2016, 7:31 AM
Cleveland Indians

Brian Tymchak
10-18-2016, 7:47 AM
+1. Go Tribe! Hope they have enough starters to get through the series... :o

John A langley
10-18-2016, 8:03 AM
I got a pull for The Indians - I do hate the drum. I would sure like to see the cubbies knock the Dodgers off

Jerome Stanek
10-18-2016, 8:28 AM
My Chief Wahoo neon sign says I'm a Indians fan

Matt Day
10-18-2016, 8:35 AM
Go Tribe!!!!

Don Orr
10-18-2016, 9:15 AM
How can anybody NOT root for the Cubs this year? I'm not even a sports fan but they have been the best team in baseball all year and deserve to be champions after all these years. Heck, I'd give them the rings right now if I could.

Matt Day
10-18-2016, 2:05 PM
I can not root for the Cubs because they're going to play the Indians!

Curt Harms
10-18-2016, 2:48 PM
I'm not a baseball fan at all but the Cubs have such a long and sorry history.

Andrew Hughes
10-18-2016, 3:00 PM
Go Dodgers! I got to get me a dodgers hat.:)

Chris Padilla
10-18-2016, 3:43 PM
Cubs get the sympathy bandwagon so I hope they end the drought.

Pat Barry
10-18-2016, 3:47 PM
How can anybody NOT root for the Cubs this year? I'm not even a sports fan but they have been the best team in baseball all year and deserve to be champions after all these years. Heck, I'd give them the rings right now if I could.
Please do give them the rings - that will keep them from fouling things up and losing in 5 to the Indians! On a related topic, this is about as good a choice as the one we have to make in the voting booths in a few weeks.

Stan Calow
10-18-2016, 5:54 PM
Cubs to beat the Indians in 7 games. Ben Zobrist of the Cubs helped the Royals win last year and is still a fan favorite here, so I'd like to see him get a second ring.

Bert Kemp
10-18-2016, 6:53 PM
I'm die hard Redsox Fan so I have to root for the cubs LOL ya all know why.

Kevin Womer
10-19-2016, 5:58 AM
Cleveland, all my life. After the Cavs did it last year, maybe, just maybe this is our year.

Rich Engelhardt
10-19-2016, 9:49 AM
Go Tribe!!!!

Paul F Franklin
10-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Cubs/Indians series would be awesome...as long as the tribe wins!

Rod Sheridan
10-19-2016, 4:00 PM
Who is your favorite team of those remaining to win the world series? It looks like Rod's in trouble.

I'm from Toronto, if our teams aren't in trouble I get worried.........Rod.

Brian Tymchak
10-19-2016, 4:11 PM
Cleveland, all my life. After the Cavs did it last year, maybe, just maybe this is our year.

Hope you're not wishing for the sweep (football...) ;)

Kevin Womer
10-19-2016, 5:03 PM
Hope you're not wishing for the sweep (football...) ;)No but 2 out of 3 ranks way up there in the top.

Jerome Stanek
10-19-2016, 5:21 PM
I'm from Toronto, if our teams aren't in trouble I get worried.........Rod.

I am watching it now and they do look like they are in trouble 3 to 0 Windians

Rich Riddle
10-19-2016, 6:52 PM
Sorry Rod but the Blue Jays fell to the Tribe......Cleveland heads to the World Series.

John Blazy
10-20-2016, 12:09 PM
I was on a craft beer cruise last night out the cuyahoga river and along cleveland's skyline between the breakwall and the shore. The boats announcer kept interrupting the music to give updates on the game, and when we won, it was a hell of a time coming back up the river. You could hear the entire city partying.

Thomas Pratt
10-20-2016, 3:37 PM
The Cubs!!!!!!

Bill Neely
10-21-2016, 2:00 AM
Since I was stationed in Cleveland years ago, I'll be rooting for the Indians.

Stewie Simpson
10-21-2016, 5:49 AM
Sonoma Stompers. (Looking forward to watching Kelsie Whitmore & Stacey Piagno).

Rich Riddle
10-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Stewie, I didn't realize they were in the world series this year. Who are the Sonoma Stompers?

John A langley
10-22-2016, 10:49 PM
The Cubs and Cleveland it's going to be a good one

Rich Riddle
10-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Those who wanted the Cubs and Indians world series should be rejoicing.

Jim Koepke
10-23-2016, 2:43 PM
As a National League kind of guy I prefer the Cubs. I did once see a game at Wrigley Field many years ago. It was an enjoyable win against the Houston Astros.

Would have preferred the Giants in the series, but not the Dodgers.

Go Cubs!

jtk

Kev Williams
10-23-2016, 6:28 PM
Wonders never cease-- Cubs go to the series?

Somewhere a guy with horns is shoveling snow with his trident...

;)

Paul McGaha
10-23-2016, 7:05 PM
I think I'll root for the Cubs. Happy for the Cleveland fans that the Indians got there too.

PHM

Rick Moyer
10-24-2016, 3:10 PM
Was hoping for Cubs-Indians. I am also hoping for snow every game so MLB sees how absurd it is to be playing baseball this late in the year. Let's shorten the season to end before Labor Day and have all the playoffs done by October! ( I know that will never happen, money drives everything, but I can wish)
btw, picking the Cubs in six.

Matt Day
10-24-2016, 4:49 PM
My wife asked if I wanted to go to the game at $1000 per ticket. She apparently doesn't know how many tools that could buy!

Rich Riddle
10-24-2016, 6:52 PM
My wife asked if I wanted to go to the game at $1000 per ticket. She apparently doesn't know how many tools that could buy!Especially if you take her to Harbor Freight.

Pat Barry
10-24-2016, 9:55 PM
"The Curse of the Billy Goat is the name of a curse that was supposedly placed on the Chicago Cubs in 1945 by Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis. Because the odor of his pet goat, Murphy, was bothering other fans, Sianis was asked to leave Wrigley Field, the Cubs' park, during game four of the 1945 World Series. Outraged, Sianis allegedly declared "Them Cubs, they ain't gonna win no more," which has been interpreted to mean that either the Cubs would never win another National League Pennant or else that they would never again win a World Series.
The Cubs lost that '45 series to the Detroit Tigers, and have not won a World Series championship since 1908. After the incident with Billy Sianis and Murphy the Cubs did not play in the next 70 series (not counting the cancelled 1994 series) until, on the 46th anniversary of Billy Sianis' death, they beat the Los Angeles Dodgers to win the National League Championship and advance to the 2016 World Series."

Its going to be very interesting to watch this play out.

Chris Padilla
10-26-2016, 4:19 PM
Kluber had pinpoint control last night and the Cubs couldn't do much. They had some chances but even the Indian's bullpen stepped up and shut 'em down when they needed to.

George Bokros
10-26-2016, 4:51 PM
Go Tribe!! Hope tonight is not rained out. Cleveland has their mojo on!!

Dok Yager
10-26-2016, 8:28 PM
I like that both the Indians and the Cubs are in the series. I think they both deserve to be there, as far as a favorite well my house is divided I`m routing for the Cubs and my wife is for the Indians.

John A langley
10-27-2016, 8:25 AM
George The Indians mojo didn't come to the game last night I think it's going to be a wild time in Chicago this weekend

George Bokros
10-27-2016, 8:52 AM
George The Indians mojo didn't come to the game last night I think it's going to be a wild time in Chicago this weekend

They struggled last night. I agree it is going to be a wild time in Chicago. I do not think the Tribe will win the first one in Chicago :(

John A langley
10-27-2016, 9:04 AM
I would personally like to see both of them win but that can't happen

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2016, 10:20 AM
That is quite a story on Schwarber playing for the Cubs.

Matt Day
10-27-2016, 12:19 PM
I think I heard he is not going to be the DH in the next game in Chicago. I'm guessing some kind of DH rule. As an Indians fan I'm happy to hear that! Quite a story though.

I also heard he is not medically cleared to play in the field. Seems odd he can hit but not field? I don't know the backstory on that.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-27-2016, 12:23 PM
IIRC....In the World Series, they play by American league rules when at home at an American League team's stadium and National League rules when at home at the National League team. Therefore, there will be no DH at Wrigley Field. Thus for him to bat at Wrigley Field, he has to play in the field. There was quite a discussion about this after last night's game.

Chris Padilla
10-27-2016, 6:10 PM
Ken,

That is true for interleague as well: home stadium rules apply in regards to the DH (which should be abolished but that is another discussion....)

Larry Frank
10-27-2016, 7:01 PM
I really dislike having the home team advantage decided by the All Star Game.

Go Cubs...

George Bokros
10-29-2016, 9:03 AM
I do not think the Tribe will win the first one in Chicago :(

Mark me as wrong! Yea Tribe!! Tonight's game should be interesting.

Saw in today's Cleveland paper that a couple paid $38,000 for two seats behind the the Cub's dugout, $500 cover charge to watch the game in a bar in Chicago, incredible.

Van Huskey
10-29-2016, 11:45 AM
I want the Cubs to win and somehow I want Steve Bartman to be the reason. The guy has lived in hell for 13 years, was and is a Cubs fan, and every other Cubs fan sitting around him that faithful day in October was trying to do the exact same thing.

Matt Day
10-29-2016, 1:24 PM
It was stressful watching the game last night! Glad the Tribe pulled it out. Looking forward to tonight's game - wife and I are going to a watch party instead of the couch.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-29-2016, 1:52 PM
That was an interesting story about Cleveland's pitcher Tomlin and his father.

I like those tight games. It makes them interesting.

Rich Riddle
10-29-2016, 3:27 PM
I started to read about Babe Ruth because of this thread. A few of us might have been around when he lived.

Chris Padilla
10-31-2016, 5:42 PM
C'mon, CUBS!!! Hang it there but it's going to be tough to end the drought on the road!

Kevin Womer
11-01-2016, 4:36 PM
Home field, up 3-2, we have been here before but somehow this one feels different. Go Tribe!

Paul F Franklin
11-01-2016, 6:13 PM
Feel a little bad for Cubs fans, but this is our year! Go tribe!

Pat Barry
11-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Game 7. Hoping for a nail biter tonight. Still rooting for Cleveland

Chris Padilla
11-02-2016, 12:20 PM
GAME 7, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOP!! WHOOP!! GO, CUBS!!

Game 7s rule. Throw all the pitching rotations and rest and all that out the window. Everyone is available and will likely be used. So cool!

Rich Riddle
11-02-2016, 8:36 PM
My prediction is that someone will win the world series tonight!

Chris Padilla
11-02-2016, 9:08 PM
Bold man you are, Rich....

Ken Fitzgerald
11-02-2016, 9:29 PM
I'll bet the winner is a team located in a city whose name starts with a "C".:rolleyes::D

Rich Riddle
11-02-2016, 9:38 PM
I'll bet the winner is a team located in a city whose name starts with a "C".:rolleyes::DKen, can you further predict the city will be located north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Myk Rian
11-02-2016, 10:19 PM
I'll bet the winner is a team located in a city whose name starts with a "C".:rolleyes::D

Ken, can you further predict the city will be located north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Or south of the Canadian border?
I was rooting for Cleveland, but in the bottom of the 6th it isn't looking too good.

Jerome Stanek
11-02-2016, 11:37 PM
Tied up in the 9th

Jim Koepke
11-02-2016, 11:59 PM
Game 7. Hoping for a nail biter tonight. Still rooting for Cleveland

Be careful about what you wish, you just may get it.

He says as we go into the 10th inning.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2016, 12:09 AM
Ken, can you further predict the city will be located north of the Mason-Dixon line?

It probably wouldn't be too difficult.

Stan Calow
11-03-2016, 12:52 AM
I called it: Cubs in 7 games. it was the Curse of the Marlins Man.

Bert Kemp
11-03-2016, 1:20 AM
Congrats Cubs

Bruce Page
11-03-2016, 1:30 AM
Congrats Cubs
Plus 1! They almost let it slip away.

Paul McGaha
11-03-2016, 5:47 AM
Congratulations to the Cubs and their Fans. Cleveland fans can also be very proud of the year the Indians had.

Very fun World Series to watch.

PHM

Rich Riddle
11-03-2016, 6:03 AM
An extra inning in game 7 of the World Series doesn't happen often.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Going into the 10th inning in the 7th game of a World Series.

Congratulations to the Cubs and their fans.

The Indians players have nothing of which to be ashamed!

I can't imagine how a World Series could be more exciting!

Van Huskey
11-04-2016, 5:44 PM
Congrats to the "true" Cubby fans you guys deserve it. Maybe Mr. Bartman can sleep at night now.

Chris Padilla
11-04-2016, 6:08 PM
The goat is dead! Great World Series all around and congrats to the Cubs!

Ronald Blue
11-05-2016, 11:05 AM
An estimated 5 MILLION turned out for the victory celebration yesterday!!! The series was great and the Indians played well but I never gave up on my Cubbies although I admit that when the Indians tied it I was thinking "oh no!!! Here we go again 2003 all over again". Happily I couldn't have been more wrong. I do hope that if Fox does next years playoffs and series that they have a real announcer and not Joe Buck. What a biased announcer!!!

Jim Koepke
11-05-2016, 4:50 PM
It seems the folks at the NY Times were sure the Cubs would lose the World Series.

So much so an illustrator was commissioned to create an image to lead the sports section when the Indians won.

It was also noted Normon Rockwell had done a cover for he Saturday Evening Post called "The Dugout," a scene of the dejected Cubs published in 1948. It was updated to incude current players and fans.

Alas, the Cubs came back from being down 3 to 1 and the rest is history.

See the unused image and the rest of the story here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/05/insider/the-world-series-sports-page-that-wasnt.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=timesinsider&region=c-column-bottom-span-region&_r=0

jtk

Jeff Heath
11-07-2016, 10:31 PM
As a lifelong diehard Cubs fan, I thought I'd share this little bit about a glimpse into the life of an even bigger Cubs fan. My dad. Seasons ticket holder for about 30 years. In 1968, when his dad (my grandfather) died, my dad had him buried in the cemetery about 4 blocks away from Wrigley, making sure he was buried facing the park. I also had seasons tickets for about 15 years after my dad let his go. We were at the "Bartman" game against the Marlins. I was always very angry with Moises Alou, the Cubs left fielder, who made such a big deal out of that play, and ruining a young man's life. You could feel, in that moment, the grip of absolute fear and choke creep right into the ball park after that unfortunate play.

Fast forward to game 7, 8th inning, 2 outs, when Chapman gave up that homerun to tie it. My father was sitting right next to me at my sisters house (the entire family was there, including grand kids not away at college). He dropped out of his chair to his hands and knees, and just began to sob. I'd never seen that from him before, other than the usual grief when his mother passed. This was much, much worse. All this from a pretty tough old guy, former MP in the US Army. After he gathered himself, he went and sat in the other room, away from the tv. In his own words, he was "finally done." Very sad to see him defeated like this.

After the rain delay was over (which I'm pretty sure was sent by my uncle Bob, his older brother, who had died last year at 84, an equally huge Cub fan) he gathered himself enough to watch. When Schwarber led off with a single, he turned to me and said "OK, this is it!", and a smile went back on his face. When Kris Bryant fielded that weakly hit squibber and threw to Rizzo for the final out, my father jumped higher than I'd seen in quite a long time. He turned to me again, hugging me, as we jumped up and down together, he looked up, yelled his brother's and father's names, and screamed at the top of his lungs "It's finally OVER!" We had a great, happy cry together. After a while, we gave up watching all the stuff on the tv. It was late. I left my sister's house, and for the first time in 10 days, I didn't have a headache anymore.

Crazy, I know. But I'm glad they won, selfishly, for my dad. He, like so many other lifer fans, endured a lifetime of heartache and heartbreak. I'm glad it's finally over.

I really, truly, honestly think they'll win it all again next year, too.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Jeff,

I can appreciate your feelings.

My father-in-law was a dedicated White Sox fan. He died at age 86 in August of 2005. In October of that year, of course, the White Sox won the World Series. I am glad your father saw the Cubs win while still on this earth.

Jeff Heath
11-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks Ken, and sorry to hear that about your father-in-law.

My radio is pretty much mostly fixed on sports talk radio, and the past week or so, most of the calls coming into to the station here that covers the sports teams and sports news are all about similar stories.

I'm really glad it's over, and hopefully the Cubs can make several runs at the championship just like my absolute favorite team on the planet, the Blackhawks (that's hockey for those that don't know) have the past 6 years.

Rich Riddle
11-15-2016, 6:02 PM
Jeff,

Is your wife bringing you pizza in your garage/shop while you listen to sports or are you allowed to do that in the house? Thanks for hosting the dinner at Arnfest.