PDA

View Full Version : Do you stare at your reflection????

Mike Cherry
10-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Recently, my Dad stayed with me and we did some woodworking. He's very much a Norm Abrams type and I'm more handtool oriented. He brought a LV dovetail saw, and a couple planes that he said never "worked" right. It was while showing him how to start the saw without it grabbing and ripping wood that I realized the single most important thing I do with hand tools. I look at my reflection. More specifically, the reflection of my workpiece in the shiny part of the chisels and saws I use. I rely heavily on lining up the layout marks in my saws reflection so that the lines are straight and level. I do it also in the reflection of my mortise chisel as I chop a mortise.

Do do you guys do this as well?

Stew Denton
10-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Hi Mike,

I stare at the reflection of the lumber when using a hand saw. Helps keep things lined up.

Stew

Stanley Covington
10-18-2016, 1:19 AM
I'm pretty sure they have medicine for that condition....

Jim Koepke
10-18-2016, 1:32 AM
Yes, the reflections are useful for lining things up. It is also helpful to reflect the light to brighten the area around a line to register a chisel.

jtk

george wilson
10-18-2016, 9:50 AM
This proves that Narcissus was a woodworker!!:)

lowell holmes
10-18-2016, 2:54 PM
Like Stew said, the reflection in the crosscut saw blade will be in line with the board when the saw is square to the board.
Of course I use it. :)

James Pallas
10-18-2016, 3:09 PM
I can still remember the words of my first on the job teacher. "I keep telling you to look at the saw." It took me a full two weeks to figure out that he was talking about the reflection. I learn slowly I guess.
Jim

george wilson
10-18-2016, 4:43 PM
I taught shop,and I think he could have been clearer WHY you should look at the saw. Then,it wouldn't have taken you 2 weeks! After all,the school year doesn't last forever.

Mike Cherry
10-18-2016, 5:22 PM
I find it so handy, that I had to mention it in case someone can benefit from the technique. My Dad certainly was able to benefit.

Mike Allen1010
10-18-2016, 5:56 PM
This proves that Narcissus was a woodworker!!:)

George, that's a classic line! You are a true Renaissance man.

James Pallas
10-18-2016, 6:00 PM
Ha Ha George. I said it was on job training. He was an old time carpenter and really didn't want to teach anyone. I did learn much from him. I just had to listen and watch. He worked hard and fast and didn't speak unless it was critizing, nothing mean just direct. He used to tell me I looked like a bear cub in boxing gloves when I was working. When that stopped I knew I had the task down.
Jim

Mike Allen1010
10-18-2016, 6:05 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Cherry;2614804][QUOTE]It was while showing him how to start the saw without it grabbing and ripping wood that I realized the single most important thing I do with hand tools. I look at my reflection. More specifically, the reflection of my workpiece in the shiny part of the chisels and saws I use. I rely heavily on lining up the layout marks in my saws reflection so that the lines are straight and level. I do it also in the reflection of my mortise chisel as I chop a mortise.

Mike, thanks for sharing this useful insight - finally, a practical reason why shiny saw plates are cool!

Now I no longer have to explain that my shiny saw plates are due to OCD and vanity!! I feel much better about myself:D.

Cheers, Mike

Mike Cherry
10-18-2016, 9:42 PM
Your love for saws is different than most, my dear friend! We need to get together again soon! I got a couple books that belong to you :)