PDA

View Full Version : Small chest of drawers

Lee DeRaud
10-03-2005, 3:29 PM
No, I haven't started building furniture...when I said "small", I meant it: about 4"x8"x5", jarrah, lacewood, wenge, and maple.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-03-2005, 3:36 PM
Now that is neat! I really like how you can't tell what size the drawers are!! :)

Great job on this one.

Richard Wolf
10-03-2005, 3:38 PM
Nice job Lee, If you didn't tell us it was small I might not have known.

Richard

Keith Burns
10-03-2005, 3:56 PM
Very cool. Love the box joint details !:D

Dan Forman
10-03-2005, 3:59 PM
Lee---Very nice work indeed! Attractive combination of woods, like the exposed fingers, and the drawers are very immaginative. Oh, and by the way, I have been enjoying your wit on a number of other threads as well. Keep up the good work.

Dale Rodabaugh
10-03-2005, 4:22 PM
Great work Lee.Been thinking about doing some small stuff this coming winter,when its sub zero,and about 3 ft.of snow on the ground.:D ;) :)

Mike Waddell
10-03-2005, 6:37 PM
Incredible work! Really like the proportions..

Mike

Vaughn McMillan
10-03-2005, 6:51 PM
Excellent job, Lee. I'm assuming it's laser cut? The proportions are right on the money...as Richard mentioned, you can't tell it's such a little piece by looking at the pictures.

How was the jarrah to work with? I picked up a piece last weekend...it sort of spoke to me...but I've not yet decided what to make with it.

Kudos -

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
10-03-2005, 6:57 PM
Kewel! I really like the "uplift" in the drawer handles, too. They flare nicely. Great touch.

Lee DeRaud
10-03-2005, 7:05 PM
Excellent job, Lee. I'm assuming it's laser cut?Thanks. Yup, main body is just one of my "standard" boxes, turned on its side. The accents on the sides and top are where the fingers for the interior dividers stick through.

How was the jarrah to work with? I picked up a piece last weekend...it sort of spoke to me...but I've not yet decided what to make with it.I like it: resaws easily, cuts well on the laser, and finishes great. Funny stuff though: the 6' piece I bought had very straight grain at both ends, almost like mahogony (that's what that 'Aztec' box came from), and then breaks into a bunch of figure in the middle (where this chunk came from). I have no idea what the original log must have looked like...for that matter, I have no idea what a whole jarrah tree looks like.:p

Corey Hallagan
10-03-2005, 7:07 PM
That is just plain kewl! You box guys just sleigh me with your stuff! Keep'em coming.

Corey

Joe Blankshain
10-03-2005, 7:09 PM
Nice work Lee. Great proportions and scale.

Lee DeRaud
10-03-2005, 7:09 PM
Kewel! I really like the "uplift" in the drawer handles, too. They flare nicely. Great touch.Thanks.

That's an optical illusion, I think. The handles actually come straight out from the face, but the ends are beveled to blend into the chamfered edges.

John Miliunas
10-03-2005, 7:20 PM
That looks downright great, Lee!!! Go to the head of the class!:D But now, if you could just make one in the same dimensions....say about...Oh, I don't know. Maybe 8 times bigger, I could sure use one in the bedroom!:D Anyhow, well done and love the details on it!:) :cool:

Don Baer
10-03-2005, 7:21 PM
I have no idea what a whole jarrah tree looks like.:p

Sure you do. It's a member of the Eucalyptus family...:p

The ones we have in California are Red Gum and Blue Gum.

Great work. Form and finish are super.

Your the only guy I know who cuts dovetails with a laser

Lee DeRaud
10-03-2005, 7:38 PM
You're the only guy I know who cuts dovetails with a laserJust finger/box joints so far, Don: the laser only works in two dimensions. One of the things I'm experimenting with though is using the laser to cut the tails and the narrow chunk of the pins (although I may have that terminology backwards:p ). Then I can just clean out the pins in the third direction by hand with a razor saw or something similar.

Was that as confusing as it sounded? We shall see.:cool:

Lee DeRaud
10-03-2005, 7:42 PM
But now, if you could just make one in the same dimensions....say about...Oh, I don't know. Maybe 8 times bigger, I could sure use one in the bedroom!:DGood news: if you'll spring for the bigger laser, I'll build you one for free.:D
Bad news: $150K oughta cover it.:eek:

Anyhow, well done and love the details on it!:) :cool:Thanks!

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-03-2005, 7:54 PM
What they all said. :) I've said it before...I admire you guys that can do 'small'.

KC