PDA

View Full Version : What to do with yew?

Jon Endres
10-17-2016, 11:48 AM
I have several large chunks of a yew shrub, which was cut down last fall. Not sure of the variety, it was a landscape planting and I'm pretty sure it's not native to this area (southern VT). This was some kind of upright shrub, with multiple trunks, and was planted in the early 1970's by my father on his property. The largest pieces are still attached to each other as multiple trunks, I have one piece that is almost 20" diameter and 24" long and a bunch of smaller pieces down to 2" diameter. All about 2' long. I hate to burn it in my woodstove because it is unique to me, there is nothing like this commercially available and it is from my own childhood. The wood is a beautiful reddish-orange color and hard as a rock (and heavy!).

Any suggestions? I'm going to save it until I can figure out a use. Seems like it might be worth something to turners? Maybe as tool handles or accent pieces? I'm not going to get anything particularly large out of these chunks, whatever I do.

J.R. Rutter
10-17-2016, 1:15 PM
My mom used to ask me that all the time...

I would say turning blanks for smaller pieces and saw the larger ones into solid stock for things like door or lid panels.

Jim Becker
10-17-2016, 1:49 PM
Turning blanks and small project wood would be my choice...

Lee Schierer
10-17-2016, 10:59 PM
They used to make long bows from yew. It doesn't sound like your pieces would work for that purpose though.

Vince Shriver
10-18-2016, 1:37 AM
Yew is the traditional wood of choice for English Windsor chairs.

William Adams
10-18-2016, 9:00 AM
Just finished reading a book where the author noted that crossbows were well able to make use of yew which wasn't suited for longbows (though w/ a splice at the handle, or when doing a 3-piece takedown one can make use of shorter lengths).

peter Joseph
10-18-2016, 3:09 PM
It does turn nicely so pens or tool handles I'd say.

Van Huskey
10-18-2016, 3:59 PM
Make whatever yew want. :)