PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Everlasting Chisel

lowell holmes
10-17-2016, 9:35 AM
I just came across a 15/16" Stanley Everlasting Chisel in my possession. I do not remember where or how I acquired it.

It is well used, in excellent condition, has a fresh razor edge bevel. The bevel is bright like it is new.

I'm sure none of you have ever experienced something like this. ? ? ?

We did have a full moon last night. :)

Jim Koepke
10-17-2016, 9:51 AM
It may have been worked on the edges to reduce the size a bit. I have done that myself to a few chisels.

It may have also snuck out of the factory undersize.

jtk

lowell holmes
10-17-2016, 10:23 AM
Jim,
I'm at the age that mysteries like this reveal themselves during the morning walk.
About two years ago, my first great grand daughter was born and I decided a rocking chair for Harper Rose would be appropriate.

So, I designed and built one for her. The arms came out a bit narrow and rather than scrap them, I decided to make the arm thru mortises 15/16"
instead of the normal 1" I made them. So like you said, I ground down an old beater chisel I had to 15/16"

Yesterday, when I found the chisel in a tool belt hanging in my shop, it was obviously an old chisel with a fresh bevel and sharper than blazes. I could not
for the life of me remember the chisel. Now I do and have a pleasant memory restored. :)

Old age is a pain, but sometimes it has it'e advantages. I'm sure that I am the only one with stories like this.

Bill Houghton
10-17-2016, 6:16 PM
They say that you should keep track of the books you read/movies you watch to try to decide on your favorite. At a certain age, then, you can read/watch it overandover and enjoy it anew every time!

george wilson
10-18-2016, 10:09 AM
I have things in my shop that I have no idea where I got them. And things that I made and have no idea how I made them!! And things I made that I cannot remember making!

Jim Koepke
10-18-2016, 12:30 PM
I have things in my shop that I have no idea where I got them. And things that I made and have no idea how I made them!! And things I made that I cannot remember making!

It seems time and/or age does that to all of us.

jtk

george wilson
10-18-2016, 12:32 PM
What I mean is things that I cannot remember HOW I managed to make them. Some things that had processes that I cannot recall how I did. THAT IS FRUSTRATING.

lowell holmes
10-18-2016, 12:43 PM
What I mean is things that I cannot remember HOW I managed to make them. Some things that had processes that I cannot recall how I did. THAT IS FRUSTRATING.

It sure beats the alternative though.:)

James Pallas
10-18-2016, 2:59 PM
You all are like new puppies to this. I can start a build go back to the shop after a nights sleep and wonder what I was doing the day before. New project everyday. It's a good thing that it is still fun!:)
Jim