PDA

View Full Version : "But honey, it's Dick Parr's fault!"

Chris Barton
10-03-2005, 1:58 PM
So, there I was, sneaking down the steps to my basement at about 7:15 AM Saturday morning when my wife said, "Just where do you think you'er going? Not into that workshop of yours I hope!" Unfortunately, it is easy for me to go down first thing in the morning only to surface 8-12 hours later (sometimes at the consternation of my wife and daughter). So, I used the only reasonable reply I could, "but honey, it's Dick Parr's fault! He gave me a giant piece of cherry that is calling me to come down and transform it into a nice platter... er, for you." Guess what, it worked! I also managed to get a medium sized ambrosia maple bowl done as well. Here are the pics... (Platter approx. 12" dia, bowl approx 7" dia and 4" tall).

Keith Burns
10-03-2005, 3:01 PM
Very cool ! Very nice pieces ! Of these two the platter is my favorite. Thanks for sharing.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-03-2005, 5:22 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY NICE! GO ahead....................blame it on Dick Parr. Personally, I'd take credit for it myself.

Bruce

Steve Clardy
10-03-2005, 6:02 PM
Very Nice!!!!

Jack Hogoboom
10-03-2005, 6:08 PM
Wow!!

I love that platter. It looks incredibly delicate. Can you give us details on how you did it?

Jack

Travis Stinson
10-03-2005, 7:58 PM
Very nice indeed! I love the platter also. You'd better keep a close eye on Dick, he'll get you into more trouble than you can imagine. :D

Jim Ketron
10-03-2005, 8:46 PM
Nice Job on them Chris!

Pat Salter
10-03-2005, 9:29 PM
Not only are they both lovely pieces, the layout in the photo is well done too. looks so much better than just having them sit on a sheet or something like that.

John Hart did the same with his cherry vase.

Very nice photo layouts help to bring out the very nice projects. let's us know that you guys are thinking of all aspects of your art.

John Hart
10-03-2005, 9:33 PM
Wow Chris! very very nice. I just have to try a platter soon....You're inspiring me!!

Joe Tonich
10-03-2005, 9:48 PM
So, I used the only reasonable reply I could, "but honey, it's Dick Parr's fault!

Man.............I thought I was the only one to use THAT line!! ;) :D

That platter is SWEET!!!!!!!! I love cherry, and you sure did that piece proud!!!!

Joe

Ernie Nyvall
10-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Beautiful work Chris. I really like the lines of the bowl.

Ernie

Dick Parr
10-04-2005, 9:13 AM
That's OK Chris I have big shoulders, go ahead and blame it on me. :D Your not the only one that blames things on my. :eek:

And watch it Travis, I resemble that remark. :rolleyes:

I really love the platter and the bowl, they both came out great.

Great job Chris. ;)

Jerry Clark
10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Great job-- both look good-- nice color and form. :eek:

Michael Stafford
10-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Dick is not that much trouble when he is asleep..... :p Otherwise he is just trouble waiting for a place to happen.... :D

Chris, beautiful work! I really like the platter, wonderful form and finish! :)

Von Bickley
10-04-2005, 1:03 PM
Chris,
Great looking projects and great pictures also...

Mark Cothren
10-04-2005, 1:53 PM
I like 'em both, but 'specially the platter. Very nice.

And yes, Dick is trubble...;)

Thanks for the pictures!

Chris Barton
10-04-2005, 5:19 PM
Thanks to everyone for looking! And to answer Jack's question about the platter; I started by screwing a faceplate to one side of the platter blank that was just shy of 2" thick. I turned the bottom of the platter first so I could have a tennon to insert into my Oneway Stronghold chuck. I finished the bottom by sanding to 400 grit and then reversed the mount by putting it into the Oneway so I could turn the front. Average thickness is about 1/4" from the rim to the tennon and the tennon section is about 1/2" thick. Finished sanding the front same as back, removed from chuck and applied BOL. The next day I sprayed on a coupple of coats of lacquer and used the Beal system after it had hardened.