PDA

View Full Version : Bowl salvage job ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
06-17-2003, 10:35 AM
While turning this cherry bowl a few weeks ago, I managed to snap the tenon off , along with a good bit of the bottom of the bowl. Since I already have several of these "bowl funnels" lying around, I was determined to salvage this one. I put the bowl in my Cole jaws and turned the hole in the center of the bottom round. I then cut a piece of Padauk a little oversize and glued a scrap block to the bottom. Using the bowl bottom as a template, I turned the Padauk down until it was a very snug fit onto the hole. I then applied CA glue and tapped the plug into place. Once the glue dried, I had the plug in place with a scrap block already glued on. I put the bowl back on the lathe and turned the inside true, smoothing the transition between the bowl and the plug. I then popped the tenon off the back, stuck it in the Cole jaws and re-turned the bottom true again. I then finish sanded and applied some Danish Oil finish. At least it looks like a bowl once more. Thanks for looking, be safe and have fun turning.

Mac McAtee
06-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Ron,
That is neat, I like it. Looking at the bottom view it looks like the grain orientation between the plug and the bowl body is different. It will be interesting to know, as time goes by, if any stress cracks develop. I would think if you aligned the grain of the plug with the grain of the body that it would be as stable as if it was one piece. Don't know, just speculating.

Charles McKinley
06-17-2003, 12:07 PM
It is a neat look too!

Jim Becker
06-17-2003, 12:44 PM
It's not salvage...it's real-time redesign! :D

Nice job!