PDA

View Full Version : Festool vs Fein

Donnie Raines
10-03-2005, 1:00 PM
Any comparison's out there between the RO 150 package versus the Fein MSF 636-1 package? Of coarse personal experience is always welcome. With the new shop being in the basement(sealed off very well...but) I need to be extra particular when it comes to the sanding issue.

TIA

Dan Larson
10-03-2005, 1:30 PM
Hi Donnie,

I have the MSF636 and the TurboII vac. I've been generally happy with the sander over the years that I've owned it, but have discovered a few limitations with it. For me, at least, it works best for sanding large surfaces, but is a little too aggressive for smaller projects that require a lot of finesse. It's a very powerful unit with a relatively large stroke. In combination with the TurboII, dust collection is excellent. To be honest with you though, I would buy the Festool package if I had to replace my Fein equipment. My impression is that the Festool sander is a little more refined than the Fein.

Dan

Lee DeRaud
10-03-2005, 1:50 PM
I've gotten the impression, here and in other threads, that the Festool sander is better but the Fein vacuum is better. Any particular reason not to mix-and-match? (I don't know how much savings there is buying the package over the pieces..)

Steve Schoene
10-03-2005, 2:24 PM
I agree the Fein sander is pretty agressive.

As far as the vacuums, I did just recently notice the sound level specs for Fein (the next to the smallest model ) at 57.8 db(A) at 3.5 feet, with Festool ) at 72 db(A), with no distance specified. Thats a BIG difference.

Jim Hager
10-03-2005, 2:24 PM
I have just recently gotten the Festool 150/5 ro sander and the ct mini vac. I'm a very happy camper. I have never used the Fein sanders and vacs but if they are any better!!!!!!!!! I don't know how I would handle it. I'm amazed at the dust collection and the ease of use of the sander. Makes my sanding chores a pleasure. Plus I got one of those cool Festool hats.

Donnie Raines
10-03-2005, 3:40 PM
I have just recently gotten the Festool 150/5 ro sander and the ct mini vac. I'm a very happy camper. I have never used the Fein sanders and vacs but if they are any better!!!!!!!!! I don't know how I would handle it. I'm amazed at the dust collection and the ease of use of the sander. Makes my sanding chores a pleasure. Plus I got one of those cool Festool hats.

I looked at that package as well. Have you been pleased with the dust collection?...did it meet or excede your expectations?

Keith Hooks
10-03-2005, 4:40 PM
I agree the Fein sander is pretty agressive.
As far as the vacuums, I did just recently notice the sound level specs for Fein (the next to the smallest model ) at 57.8 db(A) at 3.5 feet, with Festool ) at 72 db(A), with no distance specified. Thats a BIG difference.
Just a side note, the distance they're measuring from is extremely critical. Without knowing how the Festool is being measured, they really can't be compared. For example, if you measured the Fein at 8" instead of 3.5 ft, it would measure 72 db.

Brad Schmid
10-03-2005, 4:52 PM
I can't specifically help you with your question, but I can offer my experience with a combination:

I have a Festool 150/3 plumbed to my Fein Turbo II vac. It is a good combo. I have never tried the Festool vacs so I can't comment on that (I had the Fein before I bought the sander). What I can say however is that the noise (what little there is) from the Fein vac is a non-issue in this configuration. The 150/3 sander is louder than the vac so I can't hear the vac at all. The only time I hear the vac run is when I shut the sander off, it runs for an additional 3 seconds to clear the hose. I like that feature.

One of the reasons I chose the Fein over other quality vacs is for the fact that they had the highest amp rating (19A) on the onboard automatic switch. This comes in real handy with larger routers. I think they're still rated at or near the top.

Michael Sloan
10-03-2005, 5:05 PM
I have a newer Festool sander and an older Fein vacuum. The combination works great for me. I love both tools, but if I were doing it again, I might get the Festool vacuum instead of the Fein. However, the only reason is that you can stack your Festool systainers on top of the sander, making the Festool more space efficient. I have not done a price comparison, but would also allow price to influence my choice between the two.

Mike

Jim Hager
10-03-2005, 5:43 PM
I looked at that package as well. Have you been pleased with the dust collection?...did it meet or excede your expectations?

Dust collection actually exceeds my expectations!! I imagined getting most of the dust but not nearly the most that I'm getting. I would say that I get 99% of the dust in the vac. The paper stays very clean and the disc wears out before the abrasive. The vac works as advertised, very well. I can't imagine needing a larger vac either, unless you were doing a lot of onsite work using saws and routers. You simply don't generate enough dust with the sander to need the larger vac in my opinion. I think you would be well pleased with the package. I got mine to work out drum sander marks on raised panel doors that I build for local contractors. It truly has cut my sanding time by at least 30%.

Steve Clardy
10-03-2005, 6:00 PM
I'm like Brad. Festool 150/5 sander, Fein Mini.
Can't hear the vacuum run while sanding. Good combination.
Had some warranty issues with the fein vac right off the start. Wasn't to happy with the outcome, but it's a good vac.

JayStPeter
10-03-2005, 8:03 PM
Add me to the list. 150/5 with Turbo II. Very happy with both devices. Can't compare with the Fein sander as I've never used one. But I can say the Festool is fantastic.

I believe there are pros and cons to each vac. I'm usually happy not to be paying for bags for a Festool. The Fein can also use a CleanStream filter in a friction fit mode (to save on filter costs). But, every time I empty the thing I start to covet a Festool. The Fein is also pretty tippy, but I usually don't drag it around much. If a monster came and ate my Fein, it would be a tough call on the replacement. The brand would start with an 'F' though. I use a Festool hose on my Fein vac as it's easier to plug into most of the tools I connect the vac to. The Fein hose should plug into the Festool sander pretty easily, but some of the other tools require some klunky rigging without a Festool hose. So, add $30 to the Fein price for comparison if you ever plan on adding a Festool saw or router.

Jay

Jeff Murphy
10-04-2005, 9:09 AM
I have the Festool 150/3, Rotex 150 and the CT22. Couldn't ask for a better setup. As far as using up bags, the Festool bags last a very long time before replacing, especially if used for sanding only. I use my DC for cleaning up the big stuff. The Festool vacs are for smaller tool use, not picking up big mounds of TS dust or hooking to a planer or jointer. They were intended for dust, not massive chips & shavings. As far as noise, I cannot see where that should be a major issue. You should wear ear protection anyways!

Jim Tobias
10-04-2005, 11:54 PM
One more combo here. I have the Festool 150/3 sander and the Fein Turbo III vac. The Festool sander is fantastic,. but the Fein vac is equal in that it is so quiet, I occasionally turn off the tool that I have attached to make sure it is running. About a year ago, I bought a Festool CT Mini for the house thinking I might "borrow" it from time to time in the shop. I have never used it in the shop because of the Fein. By the way, the Festool CT Mini is a great small vac for hardwood floors in a house.