PDA

View Full Version : Small bandsaw?

Rob Luter
10-15-2016, 4:05 PM
I'm looking to add a small bandsaw to my basement shop. Jet makes a 14", 1 HP version that looks like a good fit. Any Creeker experience with this saw? Any others I should consider? Whatever I wind up with will need to knock down for a one man trip down the stairs.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Van Huskey
10-15-2016, 5:11 PM
My first choice would be a used American made Delta or Powermatic 141.

Beyond that the Asian cast iron 14" saws (all clones of the Delta) are going to be similar save the creature comfort add ons. If you have the budget and want new I would also look at the 14" steel spined saws from Laguna and Rikon but if you want (or budget dictates) a cast iron saw the Grizzly line of 14" cast clones are probably the best value in the sub-$1000 market for 14" saws. Particularly if your budget is $800 or less just buy the Grizzly 14" that comes closest to your budget. There is no reason to spend a lot of money on a 14" cast clone, once you get over $800 or $900 it is time to look at steel spined saws instead.

Dok Yager
10-15-2016, 5:50 PM
Rob I looked around long and hard before I bought my 14" bandsaw and went with the Shop Fox 14" with the riser kit. Because of it being cast iron and having both wheels of cast and not aluminum. The Same Grizzly would be a good choice as well. The Only upgrade I have done in two years is a better fence for re-sawing.

richard poitras
10-15-2016, 8:35 PM
Laguna .....