PDA

View Full Version : New Shelix cutter head

Joseph Fenske
10-15-2016, 1:44 PM
I am replacing the straight knives on my jointer with a shelix cutter. I noticed some holes drilled into the new shaft, I'm assuming the holes are to ensure the shaft is balanced. Is this thinking correct?

Thanks,

Joe

Cary Falk
10-15-2016, 3:01 PM
That would be my guess. It looks like it was off by quite a bit. I don't have anything like that on my 8" byrd, 15" Grizzly, or the 8" Grizzly that I just put in a friends jointer.

Robert Chapman
10-15-2016, 8:26 PM
That looks a little strange to me. I do not have that on either of the two Sheilx cutter heads that I use. I would call the company and ask about it.

Jesse Busenitz
10-15-2016, 8:39 PM
I believe that is correct. I'm pretty sure I have a couple holes on my replacement head as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-15-2016, 9:38 PM
Drilling holes in metal is a method of balancing rotating devices used all the time. You will often see it used on the wheels of bandsaws.

Peter Quinn
10-16-2016, 4:44 PM
Yes, holes are for dynamic balancing. Just like tires on your car, except they subtract weight from the high points rather than adding weight. Pretty much every head that spins on a shaft has this somewhere. All my shaper heads do, both my Byrd heads to. Not a flaw, shows they do it right.

brian zawatsky
10-16-2016, 5:34 PM
+1 on the balancing. My shelix head has same. Also the tool holders on the $300,000 CNC router at work are precision balanced in the same manner, so I certainly would t worry about it. I'd be more concerned if there were no balancing marks.

Joseph Fenske
10-17-2016, 10:18 AM
I really appreciate all the responses. The more I thought about it, the more I agree that the holes are a good thing. I dropped the shelix head off at the machine shop to have the bearing pressed on. Should be able to pick it up after work today.