PDA

View Full Version : Reviving the Double Iron: Steve Voigt Planemaker

Brian Holcombe
10-14-2016, 8:20 AM
Good morning! Our own Steve Voigt shared his story on my blog. Steve details the trials he went through in becoming the first contemporary commercial maker of 18th century double iron wooden planes. Please have a look, Steve and I look forward to your comments.

brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/10/14/reviving-the-double-iron-steve-voigt-planemaker/

Normand Leblanc
10-14-2016, 9:15 AM
Good morning Steve,

An interesting article and well written.
Lately I've built three wooden planes and, I have to say that the main mortise was quite a challenge. The end result is nowhere near as nice as yours but they do work properly.

I've built those planes because I had the feeling of working with high tech tools (LN, LV) doing traditional woodworking.

In any cases, good luck with this business.

Normand

Derek Cohen
10-14-2016, 9:28 AM
Good article, Steve! I have followed your progress with much interest, not the least because you are part of the family, and as much because you are pioneering and doing excellent work. Keep it up!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Patrick Chase
10-14-2016, 10:05 AM
Good morning! Our own Steve Voigt shared his story on my blog. Steve details the trials he went through in becoming the first contemporary commercial maker of double iron wooden planes. Please have a look, Steve and I look forward to your comments.

Err, Steve's specific claim is that he's the "first commercial maker of 18th century wooden planes".

Makers like ECE/Ulmia have been doing modern double-iron wooden planes all along, as have Japanese makers for that matter, so the unqualified claim in your post (without "18th century") is problematic.

Brian Holcombe
10-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Fixed. ;)

george wilson
10-14-2016, 10:49 AM
We made a few planes with single irons way back,too. So Larry wasn't the only maker back then. I made some double irons,too,for my own use in the 70's and 80's. Those got sold off as collectors kept coming into the Instrument Shop.

I made planes for myself even in the 1950's.
had some in the shop. Collectors kept coming into the Musical Instrument Shop and offering me amounts of money that I couldn't refuse (:)) Sorry I got rid of so many. But,when you're young,you always think "I will make a replacement". My first infill was in 1957. I couldn't afford to BUY tools,so I made planes,clamps,etc..

The only early infill plane I DID replace was my "Nessie" model. The shoulder plane with 3 humps. That one was too cool to not replace. An airline pilot bought the first one. Those guys seemed to have money coming out of their ears!

The large jointer was made in the 70"s. The boxwood one was made in 1970. I was in a private shop for that first year,so I could hurry and get the large harpsichord done. The Cuban mahogany infill was made in the early 80's. It is now in Oregon,in a collection.

Of course,I only have a picture of one batch of planes.single iron,that we made for museum use. I gave the boxwood one to a retiring vice president of architecture who had been a good friend. It is possibly in Texas. He is now dead.

Brian Holcombe
10-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Absolutely beautiful work George! I always enjoy seeing your work!

george wilson
10-14-2016, 12:13 PM
The "Nessie"one.I still have it. I'll post a few others as so many seem to not have seen the pictures.

The straight sided one is actually a 1/2 size "salesman's sample" repro. I made after seeing the original in the collection of a wealthy tool collector. It is a double iron plane. I liked it so much,I reproduced it when I got back. The "sacrificial screw" is on the FRONT,as was the original. I don't know why they put it there. It certainly would do no good for the dovetails holding the front of the plane on.Both iron planes were made of the VERY RARE "Curly iron"!!:)

The curved one is dovetailed,and stuffed with mahogany which I stained too dark. It IS double iron. And,made the handle too delicate!! At least in my hands,it has never been broken. Sometimes I would go too extreme back then. Have learned to use more restraint now.:) I have seen a lot of work where the maker would go too extreme. Something that younger people frequently need to learn.

But,none of my double iron planes were made expressly to sell,or on any regular basis,so I can't claim to be a commercial maker of double iron planes. Or even of single iron planes,as I made them for the museum,as was part of my catch-all job as Toolmaker.

I say "catch all" because I made everything they ever asked for,some things weren't tools. Some were gifts for dignitaries. In fact,one of my first jobs as toolmaker was to spend 4 or 5 months making the surveyor's compass for David Brinkley. Then,I made a parade float for the Blacksmith's Shop to be used in the big parade in Philly in 1989. They tried to duplicate the original parade celebrating the ratification of the Constitution in 1789. Odd jobs were always part of my "catch all" position. I wish I had made pictures of the float,and of many other things I did that were odd ball.

Steve Voigt
10-14-2016, 1:22 PM
Derek and Normand,

Thanks very much for the nice comments. Glad you guys enjoyed it! And thanks so much to Brian for giving me the opportunity.

Patrick Chase
10-14-2016, 5:16 PM
I finally had time to read the article (as opposed to just nit-picking the SMC post title :-). Well done and nicely written, Steve!

Warren Mickley
10-14-2016, 7:49 PM
I was able to try several of Steve's planes at the Hearne Hardwoods open house two weeks ago. The planes were well made with functional cap irons. They had nice action for adjustment, were comfortable and well balanced.

Many of today's planes are not really designed for demanding professional use, but Steve's are an exception; they would fit right into my shop and my routine.

george wilson
10-14-2016, 7:51 PM
They are beautifully made planes!!

Phil Mueller
10-14-2016, 9:44 PM
What a great forum to have such great craftsmen to learn from. Excellent post Steve...and dang, more druel on my keyboard. As always Geoge, your work is stellar.

peter Joseph
10-15-2016, 1:20 AM
Excellent work George. I recently came across your video series on violin and harpischord construction. Phenomenal. I've watched it 3x.

Frederick Skelly
10-15-2016, 7:30 AM
Still gotta go read the blog. Look's like a good way to spend part of a Fall afternoon.

George, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy seeing samples of your work. The planes are all beautifully crafted. The more I looked at "Nessie", the more she grew on me. And the "curly iron" is a really nice effect. Can you tell us how you did that Sir?

Fred

Steve Voigt
10-15-2016, 8:23 AM
Thanks Warren, I sure appreciate that. It was really a pleasure to meet you and talk tools and techniques; it was definitely the highlight of the weekend for me. Thanks as well for the feedback you provided; I found it very useful and helpful.

george wilson
10-15-2016, 8:33 AM
Curly iron is easily done by wrapping 600 grit wet or dry tightly around a file. Tilt the file on edge and saw it back and forth on the surface you are "curling",while moving it sideways. It is very superficial,but if you wish to use a polish on the iron,and it "fades " a bit,it is easily renewed.

I'll have to look at my stuff and see if I have an antique double iron to send to Steve. Or,do you have a new made source?

Frederick Skelly
10-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Thanks George!

george wilson
10-15-2016, 12:26 PM
Some of these decorative surfacing techniques were called "snailing" in the old days. But,I can find no such definition by Googling. Must have become a lost word in that sense.

Tony Shea
10-15-2016, 2:32 PM
Great article and outstanding work Steve!! I have been quietly watching your progress and you have really refined the details of these planes to meet the standards of some of the best in the industry. I also really appreciate how willing you are to give credit to all your mentors and most of all it was great to hear you give credit to David Weaver. I feel like he was a huge part in not only the double iron resurgence but also making the traditional British/American style wooden plane popular again. I also love the fact that you were able to get Lee Valley on board in making your tapered irons as we all know they must be well made. One of these days I will certainly splurge on one of your wonderfully made planes. Keep up the great work and I hope all the success you can handle.

George, once again truly impressive work. Even though I've seen most of those pictures before I never get bored with them showing up again!

Prashun Patel
10-15-2016, 4:44 PM
Thanks for sharing this guys. Generous and inspiring.

Steve Voigt
10-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Hey Tony,
Thanks for the kind words. One of these years I'll make it up to the LN open house, and you can try some planes out there.

Chuck Hart
10-16-2016, 5:47 PM
Steve it is nice to read about you finding your calling. I think your planes are a good example of well thought out craftsmanship. Wish I could afford one. I have too many metal planes. Great blog article Brian.

ken hatch
10-16-2016, 7:12 PM
Great article and outstanding work Steve!! I have been quietly watching your progress and you have really refined the details of these planes to meet the standards of some of the best in the industry. I also really appreciate how willing you are to give credit to all your mentors and most of all it was great to hear you give credit to David Weaver. I feel like he was a huge part in not only the double iron resurgence but also making the traditional British/American style wooden plane popular again. I also love the fact that you were able to get Lee Valley on board in making your tapered irons as we all know they must be well made. One of these days I will certainly splurge on one of your wonderfully made planes. Keep up the great work and I hope all the success you can handle.

George, once again truly impressive work. Even though I've seen most of those pictures before I never get bored with them showing up again!

Tony,

If you want one I would suck it up and get in line. The planes are as nice as any and much better than most and I expect soon the wait list will be long and the price will be much higher. Not because Steve is mercenary but because that is just the way price/supply curve works. I have the three planes Steve offers at this time when he develops a new one I expect to be one of the first in line. They are wonderful to look at and to use and they are a bargain.

ken