PDA

View Full Version : Home insurance for unoccupied homes

Stephen Tashiro
10-14-2016, 1:57 AM
As executor of an estate, I need to see that a house owned by the estate is insured pending its sale - which make take some time. How can I do that ?

I asked my local State Farm office for a quote on a home insurance policy for it. The agent determined (by calling the home office) that State Farm will not issue home insurance policies on unoccupied houses. If the house is rented then this would count as having an occupant. However, the average renter wouldn't want to live in a house that was being rennovated. The home is currently insured by an Allstate policy that was purchased while the owner was alive. I haven't yet asked Allstate if they will continue their coverage.

Perry Holbrook
10-14-2016, 7:02 AM
I got a policy thru a Nationwide agent. It was not written thru Nationwide, but by some other company.
I would suggest that you contact a local independent broker.

Perry

Robin Frierson
10-14-2016, 7:07 AM
I have a number of rental homes and it's always difficult to get insurance for an unoccupied home. Getting insurance for an unoccupied commercial structure is even harder. But it can be done, you will have to go to a lesser carrier. Try to find an agent who offers coverage through several second-tier carriers. The price will probably be higher with a higher deductible also.

roger wiegand
10-14-2016, 7:53 AM
A local independent agent is your best bet. Be ready for sticker shock, it is expensive.

Mike Wilkins
10-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Ask your State Farm agent about a Builders Risk policy; used when a home is under construction or renovation.

Michael Schneider
10-14-2016, 11:11 AM
You might ask a real estate agent, they may have to deal with this situation often.

Michael

Yonak Hawkins
10-15-2016, 12:13 AM
I agree about the independent agent. ..But it won't be the agent that causes it to be expensive. The insurance company pays for the agent.

Bruce Wrenn
10-16-2016, 8:15 PM
It's called DWELLING insurance, not homeowners ins.