PDA

View Full Version : Sand blast cabinet??

Bruce Volden
10-13-2016, 7:54 PM
I was today "gifted" with a sand blast cabinet!!! Yahoo!! It's a small 20" X 25" bench model made by Westward (ratings are terrible).
I have no clue what to do with it-it is brand new and never used, I assembled it. It has several nozzles and a work light.
I've never used one and don't know whether it's worth the learning curve??
Craigslist curb alert or use up the 5 gallons of glass beads that came with it?
Got this from a gentleman I have been engraving knives from for the past 20 years.
Need the Creekers input. Thanx

Bruce

John Lifer
10-13-2016, 10:05 PM
If you want to do glass, then get it going! I gave away a small HF cabinet that I'd used for some automotive blasting last year. Wish I'd have kept it now:)

Mike Null
10-14-2016, 7:53 AM
If all you got was a blast cabinet do yourself a favor and throw it in the trash. If you want to begin sandblasting items instead of engraving them then you'll need a lot more equipment and a real blasting medium such as aluminum oxide or better, silicon carbide. If you do want to start sand blasting budget equipment can be found at Harbor Freight and the most important item is a pressure pot.

Bruce Volden
10-14-2016, 9:31 AM
If all you got was a blast cabinet do yourself a favor and throw it in the trash. If you want to begin sandblasting items instead of engraving them then you'll need a lot more equipment and a real blasting medium such as aluminum oxide or better, silicon carbide. If you do want to start sand blasting budget equipment can be found at Harbor Freight and the most important item is a pressure pot.

Well now I have my answer. I'll find someone who would like to experiment with this cabinet.
I'm getting too old to want to learn something different. Besides, it sounds like more of a mess to avoid.
Thanx

Bruce

Brian Leavitt
10-14-2016, 10:34 AM
We used to do sand blasting. I HATE it for awards, personally. Looks nice, but more work than it was worth. We had a fairly large Rayzist setup. I took the cabinet and pressure pots home and use it now for nothing but blasting car parts. It'll never be used for decorating awards again...