PDA

View Full Version : Will I be happy with the Bessey clamps?

Allen Bookout
10-03-2005, 9:58 AM
I started to buy four sets of the packaged Bessey K clamps from Lee Valley as I am going to dump my very old stile pipe clamps that are not very good. Since I have not used any of the three brands, Cross-Sabil, Cabiner Masters or K Besseys, I am going to wait for some imput before plunking down $400. The price seems great but I will have them forever and do not want to be dissapointed.

Chris Rosenberger
10-03-2005, 10:06 AM
I like pipe clamps better. I owned 4 K clamps & did not like them. They were to difficult to adjust.

Mark Patoka
10-03-2005, 10:12 AM
Allen,

I finally picked up some K-bodies from Home Depot when they were on clearance a couple years ago and love them. Haven't tried the other brands for comparison but they are a great improvement over pipe clamps. Heavy duty, no black-pipe staining, and added depth and squareness of the jaws are just some of the benefits. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

John Miliunas
10-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Allen, I have a few Jorgy's, a lot of GS's and almost as many Bessey's. The K-Body is a very nice clamp BUT, don't get rid of your pipe clamps!!! Because you can crank on the pipe clamps, there may be times where they will actually work better to pull difficult parts/assemblies together. Once done, then you can switch to bar clamps of your choice. That said, bar clamps will, most likely, take care of 95% of your assembly needs, but if you've already got the pipe clamps, keep them, as well!:) :cool:

Frank Pellow
10-03-2005, 10:23 AM
I have 12 Bessey K-body clamps of various sizes (purchased at earlier sales from Lee Valley) and I really like them. But, they can can be a little finicky to adjust at times -it is always possible to do so but some times it takes me more than one attempt.

And, like John says, keep some of your pipe clamps. I have two 5 foot pipe clamps that I often find myself using.

Guy Boulianne
10-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi. I have 4 Bessey K-Body, bought on sale last year and I like them better than pipe clamps BUT I prefer the Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamp because they are easier to slide open or closed. One advantage of the Bessey is that you can stack glueup pannels while drying, what you can't do with thw Jorgensen as they are rounded on the top, this apply if you want to save space while your glueups are drying. Most of the time I use a pair of parallel (Jorgensen or Bessey) and add some pipe clamps on top. I put the gluep vertically against a wall to let it dry. Whit self-squaring feature and a lot more reach, both these clamps are easier to use than pipe clamps, There is no need to use blocks to center de pressure. My own 2 cents.

That being said, with the current sale and the difference that put in the price, IF I am to buy other clamps in the next weeks, I will go with the Besseys.

Allen Bookout
10-03-2005, 10:25 AM
The problem with my old pipe clamps is that they were the type that you had to hold down on the trigger on the sliding end to get them to hold without slipping. I did see somewhere that you could hit them with a hammer and they would hold. Very frustrating!!!

Jim Becker
10-03-2005, 10:38 AM
I like 'em... ;) ...I just wish I could get the 12" clamps for the "sale" price outside of a package as I've wanted a few of those for quite some time.

Jesse Cloud
10-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Jim,
If you're looking for 12 inch besseys, try Woodcraft. 40% off. The ad says 'while supplies last' so I was a little skeptical, but our local store had stocked up for the sale...

Bart Leetch
10-03-2005, 11:19 AM
I like thos drawers under the ends of the bench. How long did it take you to make them? :D

TLOML wants tp know what kind of wood you used? :confused:
The outside looks kinda like black ebony but the semi clear wood centers has us wondering. :eek:

Andrew Ault
10-03-2005, 11:31 AM
This weekend I used my K-Bodies a few times. I knocked our dining chairs apart, reglued the joints and used Bessey K-Bodies to clamp them.

I also assembled a mission style nightstand and used them for that also. I used the same old auto body ruber faced mallet I used to knock the chairs apart to assemble it and clamped the joints tight with the Besseys.

Also, I purchased two more 40" K-Bodies. I printed out the sale webpage from Woodcraft and brought it into Lowes. They had two of the 40 inchers in stock, so I bought them. I've got several 24 inchers but...how many is enough?

I think the Bessey clamps are a good size, not too heavy, but strong enough not to deflect in use. I use a wet sponge to keep glue off of the metal rails.

Jim Becker
10-03-2005, 11:33 AM
I like thos drawers under the ends of the bench. How long did it take you to make them?

TLOML wants tp know what kind of wood you used?
The outside looks kinda like black ebony but the semi clear wood centers has us wondering.

Hey...they were free. ;)

Chris Rosenberger
10-03-2005, 12:34 PM
I have 12 Bessey K-body clamps of various sizes (purchased at earlier sales from Lee Valley) and I really like them. But, they can can be a little finicky to adjust at times -it is always possible to do so but some times it takes me more than one attempt.

That is the problem I had with them.

Jim Hinze
10-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I have some Jorgies, Bessies and GS, along with a mish-mosh of pipe and f-clamps.

When it comes to the parallel clamps, I like the jorgies, they just feel more substantial to me, but as far as function, they all do well for parallel glue-ups.

In general what I'm saying is I'm happy with all of them. However, I'd never give up my pipe clamps or F-clamps, they all have good uses...

Andy London
10-03-2005, 1:24 PM
That is the problem I had with them.

It's the one hang up I have with these clamps also.....I thought it was me for a while but I have seen others post similar problems....I'll pass on this sale.

Harry Goodwin
10-03-2005, 2:35 PM
Allen and John and others. I also have lots of clamps and only 8 K's but they are trememdous for what they do. I have the plastic set up jigs that hold them for door type work. They are always at 90 degrees so you can clamp sideways with an additional clamp of any style. You also can clamp round stock or round edged stuff, a great help. Also don't throw or sell any other types as each have their advantages. Harry

Hank Knight
10-03-2005, 2:46 PM
Allen, I've been using Bessys for several years and I like them a lot, they are a huge improvement over pipe clamps. I no longer have problems adjusting them, although I found them a bit "finiky" at the beginning. I guess through use I've figured out how to avoid the adjustment issues. I don't even think about it any more. I still have my pipes, but I haven't used them since I started with the Bessys. I always disliked pipe clamps and felt like they pulled things out of alignment if I cranked down too hard on them. I have some heavy duty I Beam Jorgy's I use for heavy clamping, but I almost never use them. The Bessys' handle almost all of my clamping needs. I've never used Gross Stabil or Jorgy parallel clamps, so I can't compare them. But my guess is that each brand has its pros and cons. I don't think you'd go wrong with the Bessys, too many people swear by them. If all you're used to is pipe clamps, you will like the Bessys - or any other modern parallel bar clamp you buy. My recommendation is to take advantage of the sale and don't look back.

Dan Forman
10-03-2005, 3:50 PM
Can someone explain the "difficulty adjusting them" comments? Is this a matter of the pieces being glued moving in relation to each other as they are being tightened, or the fact that they can be annoyingly resistant to actually engage and tighten when you turn the handle?

Is this a problem only with the Bessey's, or shared by other clamps of this type?

I just picked up a bunch of pipe clamps, but am considering a few more of the K's while on sale. So far I've been happy with the Bessy's I have, but have'nt used any other brand of bar clamps.

Dan

Frank Pellow
10-03-2005, 4:06 PM
Can someone explain the "difficulty adjusting them" comments? Is this a matter of the pieces being glued moving in relation to each other as they are being tightened, or the fact that they can be annoyingly resistant to actually engage and tighten when you turn the handle?

Is this a problem only with the Bessey's, or shared by other clamps of this type?

I just picked up a bunch of pipe clamps, but am considering a few more of the K's while on sale. So far I've been happy with the Bessy's I have, but have'nt used any other brand of bar clamps.

Dan
I find that, as you speculated Dan, they can be annoyingly resistant to actually engage and tighten. Also, sometimes, it can be hard to get the bar to slide.

Gary Herrmann
10-03-2005, 4:23 PM
I really haven't had any problems with the K Bodys. I keep hearing that people do, but aren't sure what I'm doing to avoid it. In thinking about it, do folks life up on the handle to slide them forward to engage the piece to be glued?

Not a big deal, but if you're worried that they'll be hard to use, don't buy them. I saw the new Jet clamps at Rockler and they seemed pretty nice.

I'll stick with the Besseys. Especially when they're on sale. :D

Joe Unni
10-03-2005, 5:11 PM
I've got about a dozen or so Besseys and 4 Cabinet Masters. I reach for the Besseys first...always! I love 'em! Once I got a Jorgy stuck shut (still can't open to this day) I told myself, "never again unless I need them." Supposedly Jorgy has a spot on their website that explains how to 'undo' this problem. I figure if you have to post how to fix a fundamental design flaw, then they're not worth spit! I'd be happy to trade all four 24" clamps for Bessey's of the same. They're still practically new.You won't be disappointed with the Bessey's. Just get them.

Good luck,
-joe

Frank Pellow
10-03-2005, 5:13 PM
I really haven't had any problems with the K Bodys. I keep hearing that people do, but aren't sure what I'm doing to avoid it. In thinking about it, do folks life up on the handle to slide them forward to engage the piece to be glued?

Not a big deal, but if you're worried that they'll be hard to use, don't buy them. I saw the new Jet clamps at Rockler and they seemed pretty nice.

I'll stick with the Besseys. Especially when they're on sale. :D
Yes, I know that I am supposed to lift up on the handle in order to slide them. But, sometimes, for me at least, this action does not seem to be enough and I have to wiggle things a bit to get sliding to take place.

Don't get me wrong, I still like my Bessy clamps.

Scott Coffelt
10-03-2005, 5:15 PM
Personally after a few minor slips when I first got them, never had a problem since. I've gotten rid of nearly all my pipe clamps (have only a couple of 6ftrs left), I couldn't imagine using anything else. I find them simple and qucik to use, never felt I needed a pipe clamp to pull together anything. I also like the fact that I can glue up several panels and store them vertically while they dry. Not a requirement for folks with big shops, but huge for my 300+ sqftr.

Proud owner of 8-50's, 8-40's, 4-31's, 16-24's and 10-12's. :D

Gary Herrmann
10-03-2005, 5:31 PM
46 KBodys? 16 24s? Wow. Lots of boxes or bookcases?

I feel so... inadequate...

Steve Clardy
10-03-2005, 6:03 PM
46 KBodys? 16 24s? Wow. Lots of boxes or bookcases?

I feel so... inadequate...

Now you know Scott's last name.

Scott Bessey.

Steve:rolleyes: ;) :)

Allen Bookout
10-03-2005, 6:23 PM
OK --- Here goes the order for the Bessey's. I feel very confident about it now due to all of the input. Thanks to all!!!!!

I will continue to watch this post just to see what any others may want to add.

Allen

Lars Thomas
10-03-2005, 6:36 PM
Is it just me bothered by the ‘packaging’ of the Bessey’s that Lee Valley is doing (i.e. 2 – 24” and 2 40” or something like that)? I mean, not really ‘bothered’, but you get the point. I don’t know about you all, but when I do a panel glue-up, I like to use all the same size clamps. That way I can easily stand them up while the glue dries. So to offer two of each size in the package, really wouldn’t seem to me as an ideal way to package them.

I would have preferred to purchase from Lee Valley, but instead ordered a ‘few’ from Wood Craft – all of the same size - 24”.

Does anyone else find the packaging combination odd?

Allen Bookout
10-03-2005, 6:50 PM
Lars,

I do find it odd and can see your point for someone that needs to add just a few clamps of the same size. I suppose that it forces you to buy more to get less. If the price is good enough I do not see why your could not cut down the longer ones and make four of the same size. In my case where I need a whole set anyway it doesn't make any difference.

Steve Schoene
10-03-2005, 7:53 PM
Love my K-Bodys, still have some pipe clamps currently in about six foot lengths, but the ones I'll never get rid of are a half dozen 48" Jorgenson I-bar clamps. Very heavy--but when you really need to move something together they can apply a multiple of the force that the K-bodys or pipe clamps can apply.

Bruce Page
10-03-2005, 7:59 PM
I’m another survivor from the pipe clamp wars. I haven’t used a pipe clamp since getting the Bessey’s a couple of years ago. My only grumble is that the larger Bessey’s get pretty heavy, but I guess they all do. Pipe clamps still come in handy for long glue-ups and I kept all of mine for that reason.
Long story short, I love the Bessey. :D

Allen Bookout
10-03-2005, 8:43 PM
Bruce,

I have spent a while looking at your clamp storage rack. I am not sure what I am seeing. It looks like a large aluminum angle iron with may be slots cut out of it. Did you make it or is it commerical? Sure is tidy. Have not seen any like it on any other post. Any chance of a close up? Allen

Bruce Page
10-03-2005, 9:31 PM
Bruce,

I have spent a while looking at your clamp storage rack. I am not sure what I am seeing. It looks like a large aluminum angle iron with may be slots cut out of it. Did you make it or is it commerical? Sure is tidy. Have not seen any like it on any other post. Any chance of a close up? Allen
Allen, you pretty much nailed it. I describe the home made rack in this thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9464

Steve Clardy
10-03-2005, 9:38 PM
Is it just me bothered by the ‘packaging’ of the Bessey’s that Lee Valley is doing (i.e. 2 – 24” and 2 40” or something like that)? I mean, not really ‘bothered’, but you get the point. I don’t know about you all, but when I do a panel glue-up, I like to use all the same size clamps. That way I can easily stand them up while the glue dries. So to offer two of each size in the package, really wouldn’t seem to me as an ideal way to package them.

I would have preferred to purchase from Lee Valley, but instead ordered a ‘few’ from Wood Craft – all of the same size - 24”.

Does anyone else find the packaging combination odd?

I do also. I don't need 24's or 50's. I need 12's, 18's.
Would be nice if the packages were 4 of all the same size, but thats the way it is I guess.

Craig Zettle
10-04-2005, 7:17 AM
My only real gripe with the Besseys is when I get chunks of dried glue on the bar, I can't get it off and it restricts the movement of the clamp. At first I thought there was something wrong with the clamp until I saw the glue. And that glue (titebond) fuses to the bar like nothing I've ever seen.

Gary Herrmann
10-04-2005, 8:29 AM
Try using a dental pick or something like it to get the glue out of the grooves in the bar. Its tedious, but it will work. Or you can try laying wax paper over the bars so the glue sticks to the paper and not the clamps.

Dave Lehnert
10-07-2005, 1:13 AM
The Jorgy, when they first came out anyways, had problems with the head casting breaking. Jet now has their own clamp out to compete. Woodcraft has them. One magazine review said they liked them over the other brands.
I too don’t like the two size packaging. Would have been nice if they were all the same size in a set.

Alden Miller
10-07-2005, 8:15 AM
Scott, I think you and I need an intervention. I just hung up Bessey K's 40 through 46 last night myself. I'm thinking I need two more 40's to even out the count...

Hi, my name is Alden I am a Besseyholic...

I haven't had the "problems" that everyone seems to have with the Besseys. You do need to open the screw for the lower jaw all the way before trying to move it. If you don't it won't slide smoothly. To get them to engage I just cock the handle a little bit towards the clamp bar and start tightening. Works every time.

Proud owner of 20 x 24", 18 x 40", 4 x 60", and 4 x 84" Bessey K's. I really think I need two more 40".

-Alden