PDA

View Full Version : Very Small Air Chisel/Hammer Chisel?

Derek Arita
10-12-2016, 9:21 PM
Figured if anyone would know, one of you would. I restore vintage alarm clocks. Many of the clock cases are made of brass or other metal. Anyhow, I've been working out all the dents from inside the case. I got the idea that a small air chisel would be perfect for the job. The chisel would have to be 1/4" to 1/2" wide. Obviously, the hammer action would have to be equally small and controllable.
I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge of such a tool?

Bill Neely
10-13-2016, 3:25 AM
Check out the Harbor Freight planishing hammer. The dies are probably too big but you may be able to make some yourself or buy them on eBay.

Jim Finn
10-13-2016, 7:45 AM
I have a "Master Carver" hand piece that has a mini jack hammer action. It is meant for carving wood. You put various tips in it to carve with different shaped tools. I imagine you could make a blunt ended tool tip for it and use if for what you need.

Jerome Stanek
10-13-2016, 8:29 AM
What about a tattoo gun

Derek Arita
10-13-2016, 8:44 AM
First two look like options I can look into. The tattoo gun might be a bit too gentle in the action as the cases are a little thicker than tin cans. Thanks!

Bradley Gray
10-16-2016, 7:38 PM
You could check a jewelry supply site - I have a jeweler friend who uses one to hammer bezels for stone setting.