PDA

View Full Version : X,Y axis are not in square

Martin Safranek
10-12-2016, 5:36 PM
Hi all,
I have problem with my weike. When I cut rectangle sides aren't rectangular. It seems that x,y axis are not squared. When I measured rectangle diagonally there is difference 3 mm on 1 m. We move machine few weeks ago to new workshop and I don't know if problem was there from beginning or not. Im tried found some hints how to fix it but no success. Any experience how to fix it?

Thank you.

Martin

Doug Fisher
10-13-2016, 1:30 AM
If you are using a Ruida controller and RDWorks software, the first thing I would do is to cut/create the largest rectangle your table with allow you to cut (tape together multiple sheets of copy paper if you have to do so) at the lowest power needed to cut through the paper (you want the thinnest cutting line possible). You want a rectangle or square, not just lines, and you want the longest measurements to more accurately measure the correction factor. Mark the x and y axis on the paper so that you don't mix them up. Take the paper to a table and carefully measure the dimensions. Go into RDWorks and go File > Vendor Settings. RD8888 for the password. "Read" the values from your machine (must have USB cable connected). Click on the three dots next to step length. Input your X values. When done, go click on the radio button for the Y axis. Do the same to input your Y values. The software will figure out the correction factor for each axis. Write the values to your machine. Recut the same file. Remeasure. Make additional corrections if you are still far off (less than a mm may be chasing your tail).

Once your side dimensions are cutting well, you can check the two diagonal measurements. If they are the same, then your X and Y are square.

Other controllers and software probably have a similar function.

Kev Williams
10-13-2016, 2:36 AM
I"m thinking, based on the description of the problem, that there's a mechanical issue, as in, it sounds like one side of the X gantry is vertically lower than the other side, possibly happened during the move. Could be one of the Y belts slipped a tooth, or one of the Y drive-rod couplers or belt cogs wasn't quite tight and slipped a bit.

-- I've had both happen :)

The piece(s) you cut that didn't measure good diagonally, take a carpenter's square and check the left edge and top edge of that piece for square. The left edge is the primary edge. If the top edge doesn't fit the square perfectly, then you'll need to adjust one side of the gantry to remove the runout, pick the easiest side to work on. You need to loosen one coupler, which will disconnect the stepper from that Y rail. If you do this with the laser on, the stepper should be locked. Now you have to tweak the rail up or down as needed slightly-- the trick is how much to move. Cut paper or cardboard to test the adjustment. Might take a few tries... :)

Doug Fisher
10-13-2016, 2:43 AM
Oops. Didn't read it close enough and missed that he HAD measured diagonally. Sorry.

John Blazy
10-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Kev totally fixed my laser in his reply to my thread here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?246292-What-do-you-do-when-your-laser-cuts-out-of-square

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?246292-What-do-you-do-when-your-laser-cuts-out-of-square

My laser then cut prefectly square.

My method of testing was to place a scrap pc of acrylic in the bed, engrave a large squared "U" across the full bed size (47" x 35") across the two long edges and down the left or right edge, about 1/4" from the actual edge so i could see through it.

Then I flipped the sheet over (front to rear) and engraved the same file in the other side, right over top of the other lines and compared parallel. You will easily see just how off, or perfect it is.

Kev Williams
10-13-2016, 2:27 PM
Thanks for finding that thread John! :)

Bill George
10-13-2016, 2:44 PM
So a carpenters square and a tape measure would not work? Take measurements off the rails against the case wall to find one true side and use the square to figure out which side(s) to align to the one good side.

Martin Safranek
10-14-2016, 1:23 AM
Thank you very much for your posts i will play with machine during weekend. Its very interesting see all experinces and methods ... its help a lot .... Ill write later about my situation.

Martin