PDA

View Full Version : Leather coating after engraving-?

Kev Williams
10-12-2016, 2:20 PM
I just did a leather strap on a suitcase for a customer, that THEIR customer wanted done--

My customer was a bit hesitant even doing this, but it turned out okay- And the reason for the hesitation was what I was told after the fact-

--this is a $900 suitcase... eek..

I just got off the phone with her, and her customer wants to know if there's some sort of coating or other protectant to protect the engraved portion? The strap was glossy, and I guess that was some sort of protective coating.

Personally, I don't think it should need anything; as I explained to her, most leather I engrave is for motorcycle seats, and they never seem to go bad...

As for what would work if anything, I'm clueless, so I'm consulting the group of experts I deal with daily... :)

Chris Achtschin
10-12-2016, 3:43 PM
I wonder what a clear UV spray would do Kev?

John Kleiber
10-12-2016, 6:38 PM
I have always used, Home Depot - ZEP Leather Cleaner and Conditioner

Bert Kemp
10-13-2016, 8:47 AM
On raw veg tan I use Tandy's leather sheen. It should work just fine.

Mike Null
10-13-2016, 8:48 AM
I always use wax--paste floor wax or shoe polish if the color works.

Bert Kemp
10-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Leather sheen is specifically made for leather Product Description. This top-notch finish provides a water repellent finish for dyed, antiqued or polished leathers. Shines and conditions with a flexible, durable acrylic finish. Use sponge, spray or brush to apply.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
10-14-2016, 9:56 AM
Without seeing the piece, a little hard to say, but when we engrave leather, it seems to turn a little stiff (crusty). I think this depends on how deep into the leather you go. Normally we would clean the residue and apply conditioner. This will "relax" the piece and make it soft and supple like you would expect with leather. I think it would be a mistake to leave engraved leather untreated.

Bob