PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley store in Windsor

Phil Mueller
10-12-2016, 7:38 AM
FYI, Lee Valley is opening a store in Windsor, Canada November 4. Only a 30-40 minute drive for me. Not sure that's good news or bad news :confused:

I just may go vote for the fate of the next 4 years and then go commiserate with a few new tools.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-12-2016, 9:42 AM
Interesting......

I could even pop over while driving through Detroit. OK, I never drive through Detroit generally, but I could choose to deviate from my normal route a bit! But I need to make sure my passport is up to date.

Tom Stenzel
10-12-2016, 12:19 PM
I drove past the Ambassador Bridge everyday I drove to work. For 32 years. From the house to the Bridge it's 20 minutes.

Haven't been to Canada since last year for a trip to Stratford and saw a play. Also for some culture visited London and toured the Labatt's brewery.

Might have to blow the dust off the passport and see if there's anything interesting at the store. If the Visa is up to it.

I know Rob Lee is trying to send the young 'uns to college but so am I! Dang!

-Tom

Rob Lee
10-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Phil, Andrew, Tom and anyone else here...

We'll actually be having an invitation only reception the night before (7-9)...

Be glad to send an invite to anyone who wants one - just email me at rlee@leevalley.com .

If you go - please introduce yourself...I'll be there Thurs/Fri/Sat....

Cheers -

Rob

Bill Houghton
10-12-2016, 12:39 PM
I got all excited when I saw the post title in the thread listing - Windsor's only about half an hour away, just north of Santa Rosa, east of us here! Wow! I was all ready to go grab my keys, make an excuse for some errand, go drool all over their floor!

But then I opened the thread. Dang it, it's the other Windsor, the one in Canada.

Oh well...there's always the internet.

mike holden
10-12-2016, 12:40 PM
It will be nice to have a Lee Valley store due South of me. (grin)
Due to a bend in the river, Detroit is actually North of Windsor.
I live on the "East" side of Metro Detroit, so I am actually North of the City. (confused yet?)
Still I welcome Lee Valley to the area, though my wallet doesn't necessarily agree.

Need to look into what dollar values I can bring back across the border without having to stay overnight in Canada.
Mike

BTW, Best of Luck with the new store, I am sure it will be a great success!

Phil Mueller
10-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Rob, look forward to meeting you. Got my invite yesterday. Will call in my RSVP soon.

Rob Luter
10-12-2016, 1:58 PM
When I was a kid we used to hop across the bridge to get decent beer. Those were the days!

Speaking of a reality check, anyone heading over should probably check with customs about crossing the border with tools. I've had personal experience with both US and Canadian Customs folks not allowing them across. Something about tools being used for work and the party with the tools not being permitted to work in the other country. Sounds stupid I know, but the last time I went across I was held up for an hour because I didn't have a written invite from the business associate in Toronto I was going to see. They accused me of coming to Canada to steal Canadian jobs. Coming back the US folks gave me the third degree too. They were convinced I was trying to smuggle contraband. You may be OK with boxed tools and receipts. At that point all you will have to do is declare them.

Simon MacGowen
10-12-2016, 7:50 PM
You may be OK with boxed tools and receipts. At that point all you will have to do is declare them.

Good caution and advice. Always declare and be prepared to produce receipts to support your declaration. In the past several occasions, I did not encounter any problem at the border. Try to avoid bringing in wood, though.

Simon

Tom Stenzel
10-31-2016, 9:39 PM
The media bitz has started!

CKWW (580AM) played an ad for the store opening during the afternoon drive time today. Slotted between Saturday Night --Bay City Rollers and Devil in a Blue Dress - Mich Ryder and the Detroit Wheels.

Will have to keep the wireless warmed up and find if any other Bell Media stations are airing them.

-Tom

Glen Canaday
10-31-2016, 10:21 PM
I grew up out there. My friends used to go drinking across the river. The age was 19 in Ontario but 21 in Michigan, so it was a no-brainer for us idiot teenagers!

But alas, the last time I was there was well before I needed a passport. I'm out in Minnesota now but it would still be pretty cool to get a LV store out this way...haha.

Ray Selinger
11-01-2016, 5:07 PM
I don't know about crossing into the States, but coming back into Canada, I declare the value in US$, it's a lower number. A lot of the time they don't bother. It's only paying taxes, anyway.