PDA

View Full Version : Poor design step lathe

Ron Stadler
10-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Im not sure if its me or the design of the banjo on the older rockwell delta lathe ( 46-612) . It seems like every time I anchor a tool then rub bevel and get cutting edge just slightly above center that im actually anchoring not on the rest at all but on the back part of the rest. Not only that but they put the darn rest fastener on the front of the banjo instead of the side and my tool handles always hit it. so probably going to drill a hole in the side of the banjo and thread it and put it on the side where I think it should have been and I ordered some new rest that I hope will work better.

Bob Bergstrom
10-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Take a portable belt sander, and with the rest in place,grind the rest into more of a rolled curve from the lowesst edge to the highest edge that is closest to the wood. Then use your power sander to sand with finer and finer grits. Lastly apply a coat of past wax. Agree on drilling new hole on the opposite side of banjo.

Ron Stadler
10-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Take a portable belt sander, and with the rest in place,grind the rest into more of a rolled curve from the lowesst edge to the highest edge that is closest to the wood. Then use your power sander to sand with finer and finer grits. Lastly apply a coat of past wax. Agree on drilling new hole on the opposite side of banjo.

Good idea, I will do that. I just cant figure out why several models of delta lathes were designed that way. Anyway my rest I ordered are coming today and I'll fix the one I have.