PDA

View Full Version : Getting into RVing???

Larry Browning
10-11-2016, 9:55 AM
I will be retiring in January and we have decided to get a motorhome and take a tour of the good Ol' USA via all the major league baseball parks. We decided to get a motorhome mainly due to wanting to use the coach while moving down the road. There are other reasons, but that is the main one. At this point I am planning on selling it after the tour, but if we learn that we really like RVing, we may keep it. I know absolutely nothing about RVing and any advice from the more experienced RVers would be greatly appreciated. I do have a book on order that I think will help, but I will be needing more help to get up to speed on the subject.
My first task will be to pick out the perfect coach. The Thor Axis 25.2 seems to push all our buttons. https://thormotorcoach.com/axis/

So my first question for you RV veterans is: What is your impression of Thor motorhomes in general? How does it compare to the other manufactures, like Winnebago, Forest River, etc.. Are they the Harbor Freight of the industry? or are they more like Festool? Somewhere in between? Also, if anyone actually owns one, I would be very interested in hearing from you. We are going to look at one this weekend, probably won't pull the trigger just yet. I want to wait till after Jan to purchase as I will be paying cash and will take a bigger tax hit if I do it this year.

I will be having lots more questions, but let's start with this one.

Mike Henderson
10-11-2016, 10:25 AM
I'll just comment that around here, there are a lot of used low-mileage RV's for sale and at significantly discounted prices. A lot of people buy a new RV and then find out that it's not what they want to do and then try to sell their RV.

If you're not sure, buy used so you don't suffer that big discount. Or better yet, rent an RV and use it for your first couple of trips. If you find you really like the life, then buy.

Mike

[And run the numbers. The fuel cost is very high (very low MPG) and you often need a vehicle to get around town once you park - you can tow or rent. By the time you figure all the costs - buying, fuel, storage, maintenance, car rental, etc. - you find that you can stay in the best hotel in town, where someone else cleans, makes up your bed and cooks your meals - and you actually spend less money. Most people do RV'ing because they love it, and not because it saves money.]

Lee Schierer
10-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Look for a user forum for your RV. There is a large forum for Jayco owners that has lots of good information.

Steve Schlumpf
10-11-2016, 10:40 AM
Larry, you didn't say how long you expect your road trip to take. I know there are places that rent RVs and that may be something to consider as a way to get your feet wet and find out what actually will work for you.

Robin Frierson
10-11-2016, 11:28 AM
"Or better yet, rent an RV and use it for your first couple of trips"

I would go that route. Rent one for a short trip first. My inlaws dreamed of RVing, had catalogs everywhere, planned for years to get one, finally retired and bought one and only took one long trip, and a couple short trips, then sold it for a huge loss. They said it wasnt as fun as they thought and with the gas cost they could just stay in hotels. That said, I know of some who love it and live on the road. I would just stick one toe in the water at first.

Sean Troy
10-11-2016, 11:42 AM
I would look for at least a 3 season RV. 4 season better yet.

Larry Browning
10-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Everyone, I did not mean to leave the impression that we were undecided about buying an RV. We have kicked around this idea for many years, and have discussed it for hours and hours on several occasions. We have thought about renting one to see if we like it, we have researched and do know that doing the RV thing is without a doubt more expensive than driving the car and staying in hotels etc, etc... We have FINALLY decided to pull the trigger. At this point renting a one just seems like a waste of money, if we have already decided to get one. Our closest friends are really into the RV culture and they have influenced our decision. My son on the other hand thinks we are crazy for doing this.

We have looked into used and what I have found is that the "new" used motorhome don't lose that much value in the first year or so. For instance, in the one we are looking at, I can get a 2015 model for about 5-8 thousand less than a new one, but it has less features than the newest models and the warranty is expired.

Larry Browning
10-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Larry, you didn't say how long you expect your road trip to take. I know there are places that rent RVs and that may be something to consider as a way to get your feet wet and find out what actually will work for you.

Steve, there are 30 major league ball parks, we do not plan to visit the all in one trip. It may take us a couple of seasons to visit them all. We have considered renting, it looks like that costs about $2000 a week plus mileage. Since we have pretty much already made up our minds about this, that is what seems like a waste of money to me.

Larry Browning
10-11-2016, 12:21 PM
Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good RV forum to join? I have found rv.net and rvforum.net. Are there others that you would recommend?

Rich Riddle
10-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Larry,

I understand you made your decision. I would look down where the Sunbirds land and find one with low mileage and a few years old. The difference should be far greater than 8K for that. I have friends who just purchased a new one and then found a used one the liked better with about 20K miles for tens of thousands less. Good luck with your retirement.

Larry Browning
10-11-2016, 1:57 PM
Part of my problem with getting a used one is that my wife and I have several items on the must have and nice to have check list, and we each have our own lists. We have only found the one MH the seems to check all of her boxes and all of mine. Anything else is a compromise. It is not too often this happens to us. So at this point we are pretty focused on this one. Like I said I can find a used one for only about 5-8 grand less. That does not seem to me enough of a savings to risk on a used one that is either out of warranty or almost out of warranty. If I go down a few more years like maybe a 2012 model I can find them at substantial savings, but I am very skeptical of those because they are really out of warranty and most everything is worn out on them, no telling what I would get. My original plan was to definitely get a used model, but I am now leaning toward new.

Plus, looking back at my original question, it has to do with the quality reputation of the manufacturer and unless I can find something about them or the particular model I have picked out, or I can actually find a 2016 model for 20 grand less than new, I will stick with the new one.
Oh, yeah, one other thing, I have the money (within limits) to do this and I do not want to compromise. My tune may be different in a few years.

Mike Henderson
10-11-2016, 2:55 PM
Check the California market. You may find a used one that will come close to meeting your needs for a significant discount. If you buy it, you can drive it home and make it into a vacation.

I think several posters have said the same thing, RV's are often regretted purchases.

Mike

Larry Browning
10-11-2016, 3:18 PM
I think several posters have said the same thing, RV's are often regretted purchases.
Mike

LOL, Well we still have 3 more months to be talked out of it! My son thinks we have lost our minds to even consider it. I have been shopping around online, and who knows what will be available in January. As a matter of fact, I did find a new 2016 model of the one we are looking at for almost 10 grand less than the 2017 model in Mississippi. I'm pretty sure that wasn't there last week. So who knows?

Mark Patoka
10-11-2016, 3:43 PM
Larry, We watch Going RV on the GAC channel (and there may be others) that show the typical "we'll look at 3 and pick 1" formula. My wife and I are also looking at the possibility of the RV lifestyle in a few years as we approach retirement age. We've been finding some useful info as we contemplate jumping from a lifetime of pop-up camping to the big rigs.

For pricing, the dealers may be able to get you one that is a model year older but still brand new. My friend bought a Class A that way and it was $60K cheaper and got below $200K. The manufacturer determines the price, not the dealer I'm told.

I don't know how the brand rates that you're looking at but after you look at enough, you'll get a feel for the construction, design etc that just comes with the hand's on of looking.

Robin Frierson
10-11-2016, 4:38 PM
Do you plan on towing a vehicle with the RV. Most RV people I know do.... park the RV then use the car to explore.

Kev Williams
10-11-2016, 4:45 PM
A great place to chat about RV's is iRV2 Forums

I've been RV'ing since I was a kid. My dad bought a Mercury trailer in 1960, then moved up to a '64 (or so) Aljo a few years later. Between my parents and myself, we've been thru 3 trailers, 2 campers, and are on our 5th motorhome, which we bought used 6 years ago...
2000 model Allegro Bus, 40' diesel pusher-
We bought this specifically for when we semi-retire, which is about 2 years from now. We've only used it about twice a year since we've owned it. I've towed a 26' Chaparral bowrider with it a few times, the 8.3 Cummins hardly knows it's there. And next year it gets to tow a 28' Regal pocket cruiser. Pretty sure it'll tow a car without breaking a sweat. Has only the one slide, which is plenty, and I like NOT having a bedroom slide because without it, I have nearly unfettered access to the engine.

Because we'll have limited funds later in life, a new one was never in the cards. The original sticker on this rig was $168,000, we paid $56,000. After 6 years, it's value is still in the 50's. And it'll be paid for when we retire. All I have to do is continue to take care of it.

FWIW, we also own 4 boats, 3 of which are already paid for. (2 need to get sold!)...
THAT'S been our retirement plan for the past 10 years, instead of worrying about how to afford the retirement toys we'll want, we already bought them, we're enjoying them when we can in the meantime, and they'll all be paid for and ready to go when WE'RE ready. So far it's working out great!

My intent isn't to try and talk you out of buying new, I'd love nothing more! But how we're doing it has worked out very well so far! :)

I know this much, you'll have the everlovin' time of your life! Just cruising around with no particular place to go or time frame to get there, I can think of nothing more relaxing...

Check out iRV2 Forums , it's the best resource for everything RV'ing I've found!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2016, 5:00 PM
Larry, the suggestion of renting one first or buying a relatively new used one is pretty sage. We bought a relatively new 5th wheel. The first year we used it several times. The next year we used it several times. Then due to illnesses in the family and aging parents, it set for 4 years unused. Finally I was able to convince my wife it should be sold as it was depreciating just sitting in front of our home. We sold it.

We bought it at a fraction of the price of a new one. It served us well. Had no problems We sold it at a fraction of what we paid for it. Would I do it again? Uh?....Buy used? Yes. Buy another RV? I'd have to think on that one.

Rich Riddle
10-11-2016, 5:03 PM
Ken,

But where do you hide when you're in trouble now that the RV is gone?

Larry Browning
10-11-2016, 5:14 PM
Do you plan on towing a vehicle with the RV. Most RV people I know do.... park the RV then use the car to explore.

Yeah, that's the plan.
I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra (automatic trans) that we want to drag around with it. Turns out it will require a dolly. Those things run about $2000+ new, but they seem to be available used for about half that. Still cheaper than trading it in on something that can be towed without the dolly. This just brings home the reality that the cost of the coach is just the beginning. But, hey, It costs a lot to get into woodworking too.

Randy Henry
10-11-2016, 7:04 PM
There are 2 kinds of R/V's..ones that leak, and ones that will leak. Prepare to spend big $$ to repair when it does happen.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2016, 7:22 PM
Ken,

But where do you hide when you're in trouble now that the RV is gone?

She stays gone a good portion of the time so if I get into trouble, it's with myself!

John O'Brien
10-11-2016, 7:34 PM
I've had 5 Rv's over the past 20 years. 3 class C's and 2 class A's, from 23' to 32', with and without slides. Enjoyed them all, had very few problems and with the proper maintenance you can really enjoy the trip. I've only owned gas models, no diesel.

To answer your original question, I think Thor products are on the lower end, quality wise. Most manufacturers use the same chassis, and many of the interior components are at least from the same manufacturers. All appliances are covered under their own warranties. Winnebago, Fleetwood, Newmar and some others are built better.

years ago, at an RV show, we were looking at different models and as I was walking out of one Thor model you could see light between the door frame and the wall. Someone cut the opening too big and just put the door in anyway. That made me wary of any Thor product. Recently Thor has bought out some of the independent manufacturers, which kept their names, but now fall under the Thor parent company. Don't know if that changed their quality or not.

Look into how the cabinets are secured to the walls (pull on them and see what moves), and the exterior wall construction since delamination is common in the less expensive models. Dual pane windows are a must for noise and condensation. Normal cooking, showering and body heat can create a lot of moisture in a closed RV.

But, if you get what you want and you are happy with it, you will enjoy it. We've been cross country a few times, and while the gas is expensive, you can save money by doing some cooking, eating take out in the RV, stopping at a supermarket and picking up a prepared meal, etc. We also spent many nights in truck stops (Flying J and Pilot have RV parking spots), WalMart and Cracker barrel parking lots, rest areas on the highways (some rest areas have RV spots with water and electric for a small fee). The big plus for us was being able to bring our 2 German Shepherds with us, saving a lot on boarding fees.

It's a big decision to make, and getting what you want is important.

Good luck.

John

Jim Becker
10-11-2016, 8:16 PM
I can't help you with any of your questions...no experience...but I will say that the 'rents did something similar to what you proposed by touring a big chunk of the US not too long after my dad retired and had a wonderful time. They visited many places they had always wanted to do so and reconnected with a number of friends from earlier times along the way.

Justin Ludwig
10-11-2016, 9:21 PM
Jamatt (http://www.jamattrv.com/)is just an hour south of you in Poteau, OK. They have more RV's than you can shake a stick at. I drive by there often and my shoulders would be shot if I shook a stick at all of them.

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-11-2016, 9:35 PM
No knowledge of the Thor's, but I wanted to bring up some things to keep in mind when picking out floor plans. Look at it with the attitude you will be staying in this for more then a few days. Will you have enough room to store your clothes and food & pots, plates, coffee maker, etc? Is it going to be comfortable to sit back and relax and read a book, watch a movie, play a game of cards, use a laptop? Where are you going to store your dirty clothes or extra shoes or rain gear? Can both of you get in/out of the bed without needing to climb over the other person? (Room to walk on both sides of bed.)

We have a toy hauler with slide-outs that we enjoy and it's great for weekends and meets our needs, but we find the couch is not comfortable for us to watch a movie. It's too compact for two to snuggle up or stretch out.

Larry Browning
10-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Jamatt (http://www.jamattrv.com/)is just an hour south of you in Poteau, OK. They have more RV's than you can shake a stick at. I drive by there often and my shoulders would be shot if I shook a stick at all of them.

Do they even carry motor homes? Their adds on TV seem to imply they only carry travel trailers.

John Stankus
10-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Larry,
Thor Motorcoach is a subisdiary of Thor Industries. Thor Industries owns many of the brands of RV including: Airstream, Bison, CrossRoads, Cruiser RV, DRV, Dutchmen, Entegra, Heartland RV, Highland Ridge, Jayco, Keystone RV, K-Z, Livin' Lite, Redwood RV, Starcraft RV, Thor Motorcoach, and Venture RV. A couple of things to note, that while there are quite a few "Brands" of RV, a lot of them are owned by the same couple of conglomerates. That being said, you will find that for the RV components there only a handful of manufacturers. For example the main RV Fridge manufacturers are Dometic and Norcold. RV toilets are Thetford and Dometic (I think they make a line). So a lot of the infrastructure items will be the same (or fairly equivalent).

You will get good a repairing stuff, especially field repairs. Basically, think about your RV as your house, built with lighter materials that you shake for 4-10 hours each driving day. Normal day to day chores include dumping the grey and black water tanks and recharging the toilets. (I don't think the model you are looking at has this, but don't get an RV with a wetbath (shower shares space with rest of bath)).

Is there a diesel option for the motorhome you are looking at? It would be a bit more efficient than the big V10 gasser.

We used to have a 17 foot Casita Travel Trailer. It was small but well laid out. We were good for about a week. Make sure what you pick has enough space for your extended travels. Most RV floorplans really don't have enough storage space for extended travels. Having an RV can be great fun. It is very nice to bring a clean bathroom along with you.

John

Pat Barry
10-12-2016, 12:30 PM
I know this much, you'll have the everlovin' time of your life! Just cruising around with no particular place to go or time frame to get there, I can think of nothing more relaxing...
Where do you tend to park it for the night? State Parks? Walmart parking lot? Certainly not at the stadiums you visit? Every day you need to pack it up and then at the end of the day unpack it -- it all seems like a lot of work to me. Stuff like this gets harder the older you get. You sure you want to do this?

Kev Williams
10-12-2016, 3:53 PM
Our main hobby at the moment is boating. Right now our motorhome is parked at our boat harbor, plugged in, stocked with food, ready for us whenever we show up. Dish TV too ;) In the past 6 years we've only taken to where we can go boating. Hopefully that changes in 2-3 years when I plan to cut my work load down by 2/3. (these 100+ hour weeks are killing me)

Best trip we ever took was right after we bought our first motorhome. Took some friends and we just headed west with no itinerary. At Sacramento we went north to Redding, then thru the mountains to Arcadia, then up the coastline. Couple of nights we spent in parking lots, most nights were in RV parks. Did the redwood, seals, watched the tide come in while eating at one place, went out while watching seals. Cool if you've never seen it before! Kept going north thru Oregon, checked out a few beaches and just taking in the terrain. Never saw so much rain & green vegetation in my life as we did driving up the Oregon coastline. We ended up in Seattle for 2 days, played around the fish markets. After hours we spend around a campfire. Last night was spent in Boise, then home.

That trip was a LOT of driving, but we only had a week. And our friends, unbeknownst to us at the time, were halfway thru a divorce. Even with that nonsense, we all enjoyed ourselves. Time to sit for more than a day at time would be nice, which is exactly what we're hoping for soon.

And as for motorhomes, packing up isn't much more involved than folding up a few chairs and putting the BBQ away. :)

Justin Ludwig
10-12-2016, 6:50 PM
Do they even carry motor homes? Their adds on TV seem to imply they only carry travel trailers.

I guess you're right. I never paid attention to that. Sorry for the misdirect.

Jim Becker
10-12-2016, 7:21 PM
I agree about the diesel suggestion...the fuel economy for a gasser will be, um..."eye opening"...even with today's more efficient setups. It's a lot of work moving an RV around due to both the weight and the "aerodynamics of a brick".

Larry Browning
10-12-2016, 8:27 PM
I agree about the diesel suggestion...the fuel economy for a gasser will be, um..."eye opening"...even with today's more efficient setups. It's a lot of work moving an RV around due to both the weight and the "aerodynamics of a brick".

Jim,
If other owners are to be believed this one gets between 8-10mpg. I don't think that's too bad for a motor home.. At least its not gallons per mile!

Andrew Joiner
10-12-2016, 10:05 PM
I traveled the country and windsurfed for 10 years. I was single and slept in a van to keep costs down. I met a lot of windsurfers with small and large RV's.

In Texas we all admired a wealthy guy who had a new top of the line large RV until I got to talk with him. He was missing a lot of good windy days on the water. He told me had to go to the service center 50 miles away from our beach/campground to get his fridge fixed under warranty. Then his AC. Then his water heater.

He was an old farmer and knew a lot about fixing things, but it was under warranty. Just like John said an RV has all a house has or more and it vibrates and bounces around. All the stuff that needs service is in tight spaces.

Here's what I'd try Larry. Do 2 trial runs. Rent an RV for a week and take a trip. Then take a trip in your car and stay in motels. Make detailed notes on costs and hassles vs fun.

See what method offers the most freedom.

Shawn Christ
10-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Congrats on the retirement and idea on a ballpark tour! I grew up RVing with my family. I'm not familiar with Thor RVs and am getting ahead of your first question but thought I'd chime in anyway. My wife and I bought a 24-foot Forest River (Flagstaff) travel trailer in 2004 when our first son was born and used it regularly until our kids were becoming more involved in sports and school activities. It sat unused and unfortunately we sold it in 2012 but still have many good memories. RV.net was a forum I used often; you should find lots of good information there on how to travel the country. As I recall, at the time, many Wal-Marts would allow you to park at the end of their lot and rest overnight at no cost. Safer than a rest stop and cheaper than a campground. Be sure to ask the manager for permission and obviously no fires, awnings, jacks, or trash. Not sure about slide-outs. And it is a nice gesture to go in and stock up on supplies.

If you live in the city they may not allow you permanently store a motorhome on residential property. Check and if not, factor remote storage into your plans. You don't want to haul cookware, dishes, towels, bedding, bath supplies, etc from your home so plan on buying all of this and more, even a vacuum, to stock and clean the motorhome. Dollar stores and garage sales are good sources if cost is a concern. When I went most people used roof antennas and satellite dishes for TV programming, now you'll probably have options for internet and streaming. You'll meet many great people at campgrounds.

And I seem to recall seeing a forum here awhile back on how to continue woodworking while on the road... maybe something else to keep in mind. Cheers!

Michael Weber
10-12-2016, 10:47 PM
All I know of RVing is from reading a blog of an attorney who often writes on financial matters. Do a google search for " robert platt bell rv ". May or may not add to your knowledge but was interesting to me. Regardless, congratulations on your upcoming retirement, you might as well enjoy it and do what you really want to do.

Frederick Skelly
10-13-2016, 7:51 AM
Congratulations on your impending retirement Larry! You worked all your life and earned it. If RV'ing looks like fun and you can afford it, good for you! It sounds like you've done your homework and know what costs come with the hobby/lifestyle. Now go have a ball!

Fred

Jim Becker
10-13-2016, 9:03 AM
Jim,
If other owners are to be believed this one gets between 8-10mpg. I don't think that's too bad for a motor home.. At least its not gallons per mile!
Yea, that's a lot better than back when the 'rents had one...but if diesel is available, it's worth at least checking out.

Mike Henderson
10-13-2016, 2:51 PM
Jim,

I was talking with a guy this morning that owns a gas powered RV. He scoffed at the 8-10 MPG. He said more like 6-7 MPG. V8 Chevy engine in his. I didn't ask the displacement.

Mike

Brent Gamble
10-14-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm a little late to the party chiming in here, but here goes: We are on our 4th RV: 1 travel trailer, 1 gas motorhome and 2 diesel motorhomes. I'll echo the comments about diesel being the way to go. Diesels generally have more weight carrying capacity, more towing capacity, ride better and are quieter in the passenger areas (rear engine). They also typically have engine brakes which make mountain driving safer (IMO) and less of a white-knuckle experience. Diesels generally require less maintenance although it's somewhat more expensive so that's about a wash. None of this is to say a gas motorhome won't get you there, it's just that to me and my wife, the ride is more enjoyable in a diesel coach. New vs. used is debatable, we've done both. There are a lot of good used units on the market at pretty good savings over comparable new units, just sorta gets down to what you want. We tow a Tahoe 4 wheels down. Just my opinion, but that is the way to go. One last thing I tell all my friends that consider buying motorhomes, if you are unable or unwilling to pick up a wrench now and then, you probably have no business owning one. They are complicated vehicles and require a lot more attention that your car or truck.

Mark Patoka
10-14-2016, 2:36 PM
The 6-7 or 8-10 MPG is usually not pulling so decrease that by a few MPG when towing your car. My buddy with the class A said even with his diesel pusher, when he towed, he would get about 6 MPG. Instead, if he needs a car when he gets to a place, he just rents. Says the cost of gas saved about = cost of the car and Enterprise will even deliver it to the campground.

Brian Elfert
10-15-2016, 10:26 AM
One thing a lot of people find when they buy their first RV is that what they thought they needed before buying and using their first RV is totally different from they really need after using their new RV a few times. A lot of people end up buying a second RV shortly after the first one that meets their needs better.

I custom built my own RV, but I put stuff in it that it turns out I never use while I wish I had done other things.

Brian Elfert
10-15-2016, 10:34 AM
The 6-7 or 8-10 MPG is usually not pulling so decrease that by a few MPG when towing your car. My buddy with the class A said even with his diesel pusher, when he towed, he would get about 6 MPG. Instead, if he needs a car when he gets to a place, he just rents. Says the cost of gas saved about = cost of the car and Enterprise will even deliver it to the campground.

I usually tow an 8x20 trailer behind my diesel pusher motor home. It costs me 1 to 1.2 MPG over not towing. I only get 7.4 MPG when not towing. I have never towed a car, but being smaller and lighter than the trailer I would think it would cost less than 1 MPG. Things will be totally different with a gas motor home.

I have a friend who recently got a gas motor home that is about 36 feet. He and I both drove the same 4,000 round trip. I got around 6.3 MPG while he got under 5 MPG. My motor home is 43 feet diesel. I was towing a 20 foot trailer while he had a 12 foot trailer.

Mike Henderson
10-15-2016, 1:45 PM
Just to put some numbers on things, if you get 6 MPG and drive 300 miles in a day, you'll use 50 gallons of gas. If gas is $3/gallon, that's $150 per driving day.

Mike

Ole Anderson
10-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Here is the Thor section of the iRV2 forum: irv2.com/forums/f121/
My wife and I had some experience early on with RVing. Her folks had a truck camper, mine had a GMC motorhome. We didn't have one of our own. Skip ahead 30 years and I am getting ready to retire. We rented a 32 foot Winnebago for a week, just to make sure we were still ok with it. It went good, so in 2008, just after the last parent passed at 94, we bought a used 2002 32' Winnebago Adventurer (their top gasser) and never looked back. We tow our '84 CJ7 four down (no dolly) and get 6.5 mpg. We spend almost four months a year in our RV, mostly parked, so our needs may be different than yours, although we have put on over 40,000 miles since purchase including an 8,000 trip out west. If I were looking for a smaller RV with easy mobility, I would be looking at a Class B on the diesel Sprinter chassis or even on the slightly larger Ford Transit V-6 chassis (Winnebago has both), and skip plans on towing another vehicle. Towing makes it more difficult choosing gas stations and even getting stuck at the end of a street with no room to turn around as backing up with a toad is a no-no. A Class B allows you to move (carefully) around parking lots you would never consider with a Class A towing a car. And most agree that using a dolly is less advantageous than towing four down, as now you really have three things in your inventory while on the road, an RV, a dolly and a toad. If you want to step up to a full size MH, you really want to get one with slides, as now you really have room while parked.