PDA

View Full Version : Exploding router!

Dominick Giarraputo
10-02-2005, 11:48 PM
I just thought everyone should see this. This craftsman router was mounted in my table. It blew out the the motor casing that holds the bottom bearing. I didn't get hurt but I did have to change my underwear after it happened! Just goes to show that it's a good idea to give your power tools a good going over once in a while. ....Oh yeah, it destroyed the project I was working on at the time too.

Vaughn McMillan
10-03-2005, 1:12 AM
Wow...glad to see you weren't hurt. Were there any warning signs like a strange noise or anything else to hint something was going wrong before it blew up? How old was the router?

- Vaughn

Alan Turner
10-03-2005, 3:55 AM
Wow indeed. Glad you were not hurt. Tell us more about how this happened if you don't mind so we can try to avoid such a situation.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-03-2005, 7:55 AM
All Craftsman and Ryobi routers were recalled a few years back...seems they had a tendency to let go at will...glad you weren't hurt.

Robert Mayer
10-03-2005, 8:06 AM
A little ducttape and you will be good to go.

Dale Rodabaugh
10-03-2005, 8:10 AM
Glad you are OK,makes me wonder about Craftsman,even more.:eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-03-2005, 8:13 AM
Now that would wake you up!! Glad to hear you weren't hurt!

Keith Christopher
10-03-2005, 10:01 AM
So glad you're not hurt !!!!!!!! Sorry about the project and the routers, but man you now have a good story to tell :) !!!!

Dominick Giarraputo
10-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Sorry for the pictures being so big!

It was an experience that's for sure! The router was maybe 4 years old and had only recently put it in the table. I use a vacuum so it wasn't unusually dirty. No, there really weren't any warning signs to what was going to happen. I checked the lower bearing thinking that it might have locked up but it was fine. So no clue! Luckily I was hollowing out a block of stock to make a small box so the bit was totally covered as the time. I guess that's what kept me out of "the line of fire"! I hate to think how I would have faired if I what hand holding it when it shot craps! The sad part about the whole thing is I am a Sears service tech and repaired their power tools for years!
Hey lady, are you sure you want me to fix your washer?? :eek: LOL

Steve Clardy
10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
I gave up on Craftsman routers probably 8-10 years ago. All the bearings were housed in plastic. Bearings heat up, and they loosen in the housings. Then the whole bearing spins in the housing, wearing it out.

Jim Hinze
10-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Oh my goodness... I'd have needed a couple changes of clothes and a valum after that experience :eek:

Glad you didn't get caught by any airborne pieces....

Donnie Raines
10-03-2005, 1:03 PM
Hate to say it....but my first router was a C-man it, too, exploded just like this!!! My bit came flying out and bounced off the walls a few times...... :eek: :eek:

Fred Dorn
10-03-2005, 2:09 PM
All Craftsman and Ryobi routers were recalled a few years back...seems they had a tendency to let go at will...glad you weren't hurt.

The only recall I can find for Craftsman router was due to a faulty switch.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03100.html

Corey Hallagan
10-03-2005, 7:11 PM
Sorry about the misfortune and glad you were not hurt. I still use a Cman router and used 3 different Cmans for about 15 years or more. Never had a problem like this at all and boy am I glad!!
Corey

Dominick Giarraputo
10-03-2005, 7:59 PM
Yeah, I know! I have 2 other Craftsman routers that have got to be 15-20 years old and there still going strong, no problems at all.

You never know what lurks in the minds of your most trusted power tools!!:D

John Bailey
10-03-2005, 8:21 PM
I've got an old Craftman Professional series router. Got it from my LDW. It's probably about 20 yrs. old. I was going to set it up on a router table to do about 500 linear ft. of pine t&g. Won't be a lot of protection there. Should I be worried?(Read between the lines - this sounds like a good excuse to buy a new tool!!)

John

Corey Hallagan
10-03-2005, 8:26 PM
I think the old routers were pretty decent. Like i said, I used some for about 15-18 years and never had a problem. Did some stuff with them I shouldn't of probably done as well. Still have my 1 1/2 HP model, it runs very well. You should be just fine. The bits will probably give up the ghost before the router does. Of course I wouldn't want to deny someone the chance to get a new tool so shop away and use the CMan for a back up!

Corey

James Ayars
10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
This past summer, I had a Craftsman compound miter saw blow apart on me. I always check the screws before using it and found nothing lose. While cutting the second 2x4, there was a loud bang and pieces of the plastic and metal blade guard, blade and vertical arm went all over my garage. A few pieces bounced of my shield. When using it, I always wear safety glasses and a full face shield. My friends always thought I was paranoid, but they changed their minds after that.

I was really glad that my wife and little girl were not out there watching as they might have gotten hurt real bad.
James

Von Bickley
10-04-2005, 1:08 PM
Glad nobody got hurt. That could really make somebody "Mark Their Laundry". :D

Tom Andersen
10-04-2005, 3:20 PM
When using it, I always wear safety glasses and a full face shield. My friends always thought I was paranoid, but they changed their minds after that.

How many of you use full-face shields?

Don Baer
10-04-2005, 3:35 PM
Since I started turning I find myself reaching for it more often whe I am routing and on the TS.

Brian Hale
10-04-2005, 6:38 PM
I usually just let the smoke out :rolleyes:

I'm REAL glad you weren't hurt! I shudder thinking about what a bit could do at 10,000 rpm :eek:

Brian :)

Corey Hallagan
10-04-2005, 7:44 PM
After reading these posts, I might start wearing a Motorcyle helmet!

Corey

Kelly C. Hanna
10-04-2005, 9:27 PM
Wow...exploding tools is not a good thing!!!!

Dominick Giarraputo
10-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Motorcycle helmets & Body Armour!:rolleyes:

James Ayars
10-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Corey, I had to wipe my drink off the screen after your post. Picturing someone wearing a motorcycle helmet in the shop was A+ funny.

I didn't get scared until several minutes after the saw blew up. When it first happened, I just stood there thinking "Now I don't have a saw anymore."

I wear safety glasses and a face shield when I use the cms, angle grinder, chain saw, and router. My drill drill press and table saw I still wear just glasses although that may change real soon.

I also wear a heavy long sleeve shirt when using the angle grinder. Last week I was cutting up an old filing cabinet to get the sheet metal and the shirt really protected me from pieces of hot metal.

My router is a Craftsman too. I wonder if I could make remote control arms twenty feet long to operate it?
James