PDA

View Full Version : What's "fossilized" Cali Bamboo flooring made from?

Stephen Tashiro
10-09-2016, 4:17 PM
What is "nautural fossilized" flooring by Clali Bamboo made from? In cross section, it looks like a solid piece of material. There are no layers of lamination. However from the top, the surface looks like boards that have been glued together edge-to-edge.

A Lowes employee pointed out the advantage of a solid material versus a laminate, but when I asked if the surface could be sanded to repair scratches, the answer was unknown. So I don't yet see any real advantage to having a solid piece of material.

Wayne Lomman
10-09-2016, 4:31 PM
It's solid bamboo rather than veneer. It's supposed to be twice as dense and low voc. I don't see why you couldn't repair it. Cheers

Brian Elfert
10-09-2016, 4:51 PM
Doesn't bamboo have a wood surface and then kind of a fiberous material on the inside that wouldn't make good flooring? I lived at a house for a few years that had a patch of bamboo growing and that is what it looked like.

I wonder if the "solid" bamboo flooring really just means the entire piece is bamboo, but it is still a composite? I am not sure bamboo grows big enough to make solid wood flooring out of a single piece of bamboo.

Stephen Tashiro
10-09-2016, 11:57 PM
Although the company Cali Bamboo has "Bamboo" in their name, they also sell a "fossilized" Eucalyptus flooring. The various "fossilized" flooring materials are about 3/8" thick and look homogeneous in cross section. They are dense. To me, they look like a dense plastic. I see no grain to them.