PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 71 1/2 Router Plane Fence

lowell holmes
10-08-2016, 11:23 PM
I always wondered what the holes in the Stanley 71 1/2 router plane sole were used for.

I just found out they are for a fence. Now I wonder where to find said fence.

Do any of you know where they are available. I did see on Ebay that someone is selling them. I think I would prefer to find one myself. The Ebay fence cost more than I paid for the router plane.

Jim Koepke
10-09-2016, 12:22 AM
Set up a search on ebay so you will get notified as they pop up. Eventually a cheap one will pop up.

The other thing is to look for odd listings like 'tool part' where a listing by someone with no idea of what the part is will find some great buys.

jtk

Eric Brown
10-09-2016, 7:11 AM
Here's one possibility: http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/

He has a reproduction listed with screws for $10.00

lowell holmes
10-09-2016, 8:30 AM
Jim,

Your back. That is great news!

I already checked Ebay and there is one listed. I probably will re-visit it.

lowell holmes
10-09-2016, 8:34 AM
Here's one possibility: http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/

He has a reproduction listed with screws for $10.00

Eric, thanks, that sounds like a good price.

Nicholas Lawrence
10-09-2016, 8:41 AM
I have a fence, but do not use it much. Maybe I should use it more, I don't know. I have purchased from St. James Bay a couple of times and thought I got good value.

Bill White
10-09-2016, 10:38 AM
If ya still need an old one, PM me. I'll send you a possible link.
Bill

lowell holmes
10-10-2016, 10:28 AM
My 71 1/2 has the holes for a fence, but there are no grooves on the sole.
I saw a picture on line that show's two parallel grooves across the sole centered about the two holes.

Do you think someone added the grooves. They are precisely machined. Are the grooves necessary?

Thanks

Bill White
10-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Lowell, are the holes for an auxiliary base (quite common)? A pic would help us help you.
Bill

Bill Houghton
10-10-2016, 12:23 PM
My 71 1/2 has the holes for a fence, but there are no grooves on the sole.
I saw a picture on line that show's two parallel grooves across the sole centered about the two holes.

Do you think someone added the grooves. They are precisely machined. Are the grooves necessary?

Thanks

The fence registers on the grooves, so, yes, they're needed if you're going to use a stock fence. Stanley router planes did not have fences until the late 30s. The holes to accept the fence screws are tapped holes, to accept whatever strange thread pitch Stanley chose for the fence retaining screw.

Starting in 1906, Stanley added countersunk holes for adding a base, as Bill White mentioned. You can see these holes in this drawing, inboard of the knobs and between the script above and below them:
The holes for the fence, when this feature was added, bracket these countersunk holes. You can just barely see little holes, no countersinking, one on each side of each countersunk hole, here:
If you don't have the grooves and holes for a fence, and you've got a need for one, you could add an auxiliary base to which you would then add a fence. You'd lose some depth of cut, but you could customize the fence to your precise needs.

Nicholas Lawrence
10-10-2016, 12:24 PM
I cannot remember if I have a 71 or a 71 1/2, but it has the parallel grooves. The stock on mine (original as far as I know) is machined to fit in the grooves so the fence stays aligned. I will pull it out this evening and post a picture if it will help. It might be one of those things that changed over time.

ETA: Never mind on the pictures. The excellent post above covers it I think!

lowell holmes
10-10-2016, 2:51 PM
The fence registers on the grooves, so, yes, they're needed if you're going to use a stock fence. Stanley router planes did not have fences until the late 30s. The holes to accept the fence screws are tapped holes, to accept whatever strange thread pitch Stanley chose for the fence retaining screw.

Starting in 1906, Stanley added countersunk holes for adding a base, as Bill White mentioned. You can see these holes in this drawing, inboard of the knobs and between the script above and below them:
The holes for the fence, when this feature was added, bracket these countersunk holes. You can just barely see little holes, no countersinking, one on each side of each countersunk hole, here:
If you don't have the grooves and holes for a fence, and you've got a need for one, you could add an auxiliary base to which you would then add a fence. You'd lose some depth of cut, but you could customize the fence to your precise needs.

I think you answered my question. I did not know what the countersunk holes are for, but I made a base and added it to the sole. It is obvious to me that if I want fence, I will have to make one of wood and attach it using the counter sunk holes. The only use I can see for the fence is to make slots. I have plow planes to do that. I'm thinking that the base will go back on the plane. I can and have made slots with saw and chisels.

lowell holmes
10-10-2016, 10:17 PM
I appreciate Bill Houghten's post. It is in deed an excellent post. It clarified some issues that needed attention.
Thanks.

Jim Koepke
10-11-2016, 2:18 AM
The only use I can see for the fence is to make slots.

With a thin blade it might by useful for inlay.

jtk