PDA

View Full Version : Shop Lighting

Jerry Thompson
10-08-2016, 3:44 PM
I do not know anything about lighting, e.g., lumens etc. A fellow told me to replace my everyday fluorescent bulbs with T-8. I tried two of them. The were at least 50 more dim that the ones I took out. What am I missing here?
Is there a product that fits into standard 4' fluorescent fixtures that is a good deal brighter than the regular ones I have now?

Roger Nair
10-08-2016, 4:41 PM
From our friend Google, I found this guide for T-8 tubes, from a RPI research division.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/t8/abstract.asp

mark kosse
10-08-2016, 6:17 PM
I believe to put in t-8's you have to install a t8 ballast also.

Bob Grier
10-08-2016, 7:36 PM
Jack Lindsey gave a great shop lighting guide to followers of Sawmill Creek.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content.php?146-Lighting-the-Small-Workshop-by-Jack-Lindsey

Jerry Thompson
10-08-2016, 8:35 PM
Thank you fellas. I am keeping what I have.

mark mcfarlane
10-09-2016, 12:47 AM
Jerry, T8 tubes are specified by brightness (lumens), color (temperature), color balance/accuracy (CRI), and power consumption (wattage). Any decent lighting website will give you these 4 values for the bulbs they sell. You can easily find two different T8 bulbs with the same power consumption with one being 50% brighter than another, so don't blow off T8's by randomly comparing one tube of unknown specs to another previous light of unknown specs.

More balanced spectrum lights (closer to a balanced daylight spectrum = high CRI) seem to put out fewer lumens in some designs. Also, if you are working on a car engine, brightness might be most important. If you are color matching woods or paint, color accuracy may become more important. Higher color accuracy tends to cost more.

Jim Becker
10-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Also don't overlook LED replacement "tubes" which have come down in price and offer instant-on and some really nice light. I'm totally pleased with that transformation in my shop. There are a number of threads here in Workshops that talk about lighting and they may also be helpful to you.

James Combs
10-14-2016, 9:17 PM
Also don't overlook LED replacement "tubes" which have come down in price and offer instant-on and some really nice light. I'm totally pleased with that transformation in my shop. There are a number of threads here in Workshops that talk about lighting and they may also be helpful to you.

+1 on going with LEDs. I re-lamped my 20x32 shop a few months back with LED tubes. The ones I used required the removal or at least disconnection of the old ballest. The 120vac hooked directly to the LED tube through the tum-stone socket so yes there is some rewiring to do but it is pretty simple.

Edit: I will post a thread detailing my conversion, maybe it would help someone.